Gibson Brands Forums

Pedalboard help

Lazerface

Hey friends, so I have run into a slight pedalboard issue. My current rig is as follows:

Les paul-->Digitech Whammy-->(Dry Out) TCE Polytune

-->(Wet Added) Rocktron Banshee-->Fulltone OCD-->Boss DS-1(stock)-->MXR Carbon Copy

I want to swap out my boss ds1 for a zvex fuzz factory (then trade spots with the OCD).

My only issue is that the last 3 pedals in my chain are all true bypass. I know I get tone suck from the whammy anyways, but i think an additional buffer may help (an eq perhaps?) Does anybody have any suggestions?

Hey friends, so I have run into a slight pedalboard issue. My current rig is as follows:

Les paul-->Digitech Whammy-->(Dry Out) TCE Polytune

-->(Wet Added) Rocktron Banshee-->Fulltone OCD-->Boss DS-1(stock)-->MXR Carbon Copy

I want to swap out my boss ds1 for a zvex fuzz factory (then trade spots with the OCD).

My only issue is that the last 3 pedals in my chain are all true bypass. I know I get tone suck from the whammy anyways, but i think an additional buffer may help (an eq perhaps?) Does anybody have any suggestions?

You can set your chain anyway you like, but I *always* put my Fuzz Factory after my Polytune. If my Polytune was not true bypass the Fuzz Factory would come first. Why? Because it's hard to get the Fuzz Factory's full pallet of sounds (oscillation, sitar, etc) with the interference of a buffer pedal.

My general rule for set up is tuner, dirt boxes (in order of highest gain to lowest gain), and then come all of the color pedals. A buffer pedal with a good buffer near the end of the chain can be a nice lift. For that I use my Ekko 616 in buffer mode.

The tuner is not in my chain, it comes from the dry out of my whammy pedal. I have that going into the talk box then to my dirt boxes and delay. The talkbox needs a fairly direct signal and will be consistent when i switch it on. I am fairly certain the rocktron and whammy are both buffers, but I am looking for a good end buffer. Mxr micro amp?

So i have reconfigured my board, basically i am relying on pedals that are not true bypass will have buffers in them, is this correct? I know my carbon copy, tuner, and ocd are true bypass (as is the fuzz factory) which would make my whammy, banshee, and (at least for the time being) ds-1 buffers. I know the whammy is notorious for tone suck, so i am basically relying on the banshee to act as my buffer.

Anyways, now i have

Axe->polytune->ocd->ds1->whammy->banshee->carbon copy->amp

I figure now that dirt boxes into the banshees horn driver wont really do much of anything, but i do want to keep the delay out of it. Thanks for the advice and Ill see how this works and be looking for my zvex soon!

You're definitely going to want to put the Fuzz Factory before the Whammy and maybe the Banshee if that's buffered. The Fuzz Factory is really sensitive to what you put in front of it and those buffers will ruin its sound.

Check out the MI Audio Boost n Buff.

Agree with that. Ive found that if you put too much crap in front of it it wont clean up like it should when you turn the guitar vol down. It also doesnt respond to harmonics like it normally would.

Archived