Gibson Brands Forums

Loving my SG Standard

mav

My first post although been lurking around, just sharing my love for me SG standard.

Wasn't all wine and roses tho..

Had the usually lack of definition from the E string so I changed strings to 50-105 daddarios short scales.

Put a strap button behind the E & A strings.

But biggest difference made was changing speaker cabs. My rig is GK800RB into a Hartke 4.5XL. The Aluminium cones really work with the SG tightening up the E string. Sounds huge!!

I have the neck pup on 10 and the bridge between 7-9 there's a filter sweep type effect when turning around that range so you have some variety and can find the sweet spot.

I like the TB plus neck pickup reminds me off my Thunderbird bass.

So I'm a happy camper.

Gibbysg.jpg

Congrats! Very nice. I like your choice of the D'Addario strings. I have a set of D'Addario ETB92S Nylon Tapewound strings to string on a Heritage Cherry SG like yours, when it comes in. The gauge size is great.

were did you relocate the strap button ? for balance?

No, I had some spare strap buttons and threaded the string though the screw hole and tucked them behind/under the bridge. you can see them in the pic. Stopping the string winding from sitting over the bridge saddle.

I have not touched the strap button on the bass.

No, I had some spare strap buttons and threaded the string though the screw hole and tucked them behind/under the bridge. you can see them in the pic. Stopping the string winding from sitting over the bridge saddle.

I have not touched the strap button on the bass.

Very clever, I used to use ball ends from old strings to do the same trick, but now I have a HipShot Supertone Bridge on my SG Bass, a great improvement over the old three point bridge. BTW I also love my Gibson SG Standard Bass [love]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Still loving this bass!

Pulled the wickedest tone at a blues/rock gig Saturday night. To achieve such tonal ecstasy i used a couple of pedals, an MXR M87 compressor and an Aguilar Tone Hammer. The Compressor was at a minimal setting, just enough to rein in the extreme dynamics of super fat bottom end E string to clear singing D & G strings. Great to have full control of my volume. I set the Tone Hammer to have the upper mids reduced and AGS engaged for some nice over driven "Jack Bruce playing though a Marshall circa 69 " effect. This bass is so light I could have played all night. Still in love.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived