Gibson Brands Forums

My first SG!

Sinner 13

WP_000201.jpg

So I get a text from a good friend of mine about two weeks ago (we had discussed this purchase prior to this as well.)

The gist of the convo was "I still want to sell my SG." so finally things worked out financially, and Viola!

I brought her home yesterday,

$450 USD w/HSC

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

December 5th, 2007

Production Number: 136

So I am thoroughly stoked, since of course it is New to me, and I get to go to the rehearsal space to night and crank it up through my Marshall!

WP_000201.jpg

So I get a text from a good friend of mine about two weeks ago (we had discussed this purchase prior to this as well.)

The gist of the convo was "I still want to sell my SG." so finally things worked out financially, and Viola!

$450 USD w/HSC

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

December 5th, 2007

So I am thoroughly stoked, since of course it is New to me, and I get to go to the rehearsal space to night and crank it up through my Marshall!

Congrats...SG's are awesome!!!

I love it! have not been able to put it down(I understand it is the honeymoon phase)

Buy yeah it is freakin' comfy to play, and I absolutely LOVE the neck, I am a sucker for a 50's profile.

I am super stoked because I get to go play it through my Plexi tonight!

[drool] [drool] [drool]

Ok, so first off let me say, This guitar rocks!

as a few of you know I play a re-issue Marshall JMP "Plexi"

with the P-90's I was linking the channels to get more drive, I got to the space, warmed her up, and started noodling around to get a feel for SG's tone.

Then I blew a fuse, then another....

The 490'S a little hotter than I expected, so I pulled the patch and ran straight into Channel 2 on the Bright input, tweaked a few things and wow, just, wow....

the whole rig just came to life, pure, perfect, Gibson/Marshall Grunt.

She is "Mouthy" too, creating controlled Feedback is a snap.

All In all I call today a win.

WP_000201.jpg

$450 USD w/HSC

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

December 5th, 2007

Congratulations!!! You got a great guitar at a great price. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Love the SG, it's an excellent guitar. Enjoy it!!!

How is the "balance?" ("Neck Dive"???) Some SG's are bad about

that, other's are quite well balanced. Just curious...it's no big deal, as

a good wide strap, will counter that.

CB

Wide AND split suede, not my first dog and pony show....

I have seen that happen, it usually never ends well.

So, that's a yes, on the "neck dive," I take it. :rolleyes:

CB

Hearing horror stories about snapped headstocks And their general reputation of being gravitationally challenged, I tend to err on the side of caution,

This particular one though, is relatively well balanced, I was very surprised, and pleased.

I think that is one of the things that makes this one play so comfortably.

Hearing horror stories about snapped headstocks And their general reputation of being gravitationally challenged, I tend to err on the side of caution,

This particular one though, is relatively well balanced, I was very surprised, and pleased.

I think that is one of the things that makes this one play so comfortably.

Glad to hear that! My only SG, at the moment, is a 2006 MIJ '61 Reissue, Epiphone,

with (vintage correct) Gibson headstock. It too, is very well balanced, and has no

"neck dive" tendency, at all. And, you're quite right...well balanced SG's DO make

a difference, in playability/comfort. [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

temporary-3.jpg

I played the SG out Saturday night, and I found the 490's to thin and brittle at stage volume.

So I had a nice little jaunt to the music store today, Scooped up some new pup's(Seymour Duncan Jazz) , reflector knobs and an amber switch tip.

Threw in a couple of orange drops.......

[drool]

It Sounded "Good" stock, But I am much happier with the results from today.

looks great [thumbup] , you changed the pickguard to?

Sort of, the Shop I frequent Didn't have an all black, so I will wait a couple of weeks to order a Bakelite from WD.

until then, it is amazing what you can accomplish with an industrial grade sharpie.[flapper]

Archived