Gibson Brands Forums

I was ashamed

brannon67

Ok, I live in Mississippi. I know when alot of you guys hear Mississippi, you think of hicks, rednecks, people who do not wear shoes, racist, and a whole lot of other negative stuff. I admit I used to be ashamed telling people I was from Mississippi. I would lie to them, fake an accent to try to hide it. But, one day I woke up,I read, I researched some stuff. I love blues music, and I learned that Mississippi IS the HOME of the BLUES. Not Memphis, not Chicago, but Mississippi. Mississippi is rich in its music background. Many good actor and actresses, musicians, pro athletes etc come from Mississippi. I know MS like many other states has had its negative feedback, but no longer am I ashamed, because its the home of the blues, and im proud of that.

You are either part of change or not. You have nothing to be ashamed of for being from a place, the place is not evil, the deeds done by people are. You should be proud of how far Miss. has come. Not ashamed of where it came from.

Very true...unless your a mime....I hate that "trapped in a box thing" hehe.

While I'd somewhat question that Mississippi is the actual birthplace of "the blues," you're absolutely correct that there's nothing wrong with pride of place regardless whence one comes.

I never cared much for the climate there, but... that's another discussion entirely. <grin>

m

It is quite humid here. Anyway, alot of blues greats come from Mississippi. Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Jimmy Rodgers,Sonny Boy Williams, BB King,John Lee Hooker,Bo Diddley,Son House,Hubert Sumlin,and many more. I have come to find out in my research. Delta blues.

It is quite humid here. Anyway, alot of blues greats come from Mississippi. Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Jimmy Rodgers,Sonny Boy Williams, BB King,John Lee Hooker,Bo Diddley,Son House,Hubert Sumlin,and many more. I have come to find out in my research. Delta blues.

as a Iowa boy the only thing negative in Miss.is the hot summers+hurricanes the accent,culture scenery is cool! [thumbup] and yes the old bluesmen ai'nt none better! [biggrin]

It is quite humid here. Anyway, alot of blues greats come from Mississippi. Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Jimmy Rodgers,Sonny Boy Williams, BB King,John Lee Hooker,Bo Diddley,Son House,Hubert Sumlin,and many more.

You forgot TheLudnuts.

My mother was born and raised in Mississippi (Durant/Greenwood), and my family vacationed on the Gulf Coast for 10-15 years (Boloxi). I have always loved the state, it's scenery, and it's people. My wife and I did a one day mother's roots/blues roots tour of the state last summer when driving through the south.

I have always been proud of my Southern Heritage.

And please dont misunderstand me guys. Im not saying that I feel that Mississippi is the best, better then other states,(because of my research) because I have traveled to many beautiful states with alot of history and charm of their own. I just cant be ashamed of my southern roots anymore. Im tired of fighting it. May as well embrace it.

You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of,the Mississippi Delta was the birthplace of the blues which begat country,which begat swing,which begat R&B,which begat rock.Mississipi is not only the birthplace of the blues but the origin of most popular music that we hear today.Stand proud and don't be afraid to tell people that you have Mississippi River water running through your veins.BTW regarding the Mississippi about 20 years ago when I was in Memphhis I made it a point to walk from Beale ST. to Mississippi River and filled an empty Coke bottle with water from the old river-I still have that bottle of Mississippi River water on a shelf in my music room.A lot of people besides me regard the Mississippi as a sacred river.

I lived in Memphis 8 years in the 80s - and at the time knew the airport like the back of my hand from travel.

That's before Beale Street was remodeled and there was only "Blues Alley" for that sorta thing. I was kind shocked that at that point in time even black friends didn't care for blues. <sigh>

Certain things about the culture appealed to a northern plains type; certain things did not. One thing I found almost funny was that to me, Tennessee and Mississippi are "back east," and the folks from there would take umbrage at that. It's as though they didn't realize that where I live was raw frontier while they were living in rather well developed country whence came some of our area's pioneers well after the 1860s contretemps.

As for music...

I think there was more cross pollination of music all over the country than most of us realize. Frankly I think it's harder to classify a lotta music as this or that than many of us wish we might be able to do...

m

I stopped being ashamed of being a southerner when I realized that bigotry, ignorance and racism don't stop at the Mason Dixon line. Read up on "The New York City Draft Riots" some time and you'll start to see that this idea that the south holds some extra bit of bigotry is a total fabrication that we have been fed.

I stopped being ashamed of being a southerner when I realized that bigotry, ignorance and racism don't stop at the Mason Dixon line. Read up on "The New York City Draft Riots" some time and you'll start to see that this idea that the south holds some extra bit of bigotry is a total fabrication that we have been fed.

Very true. Look at history of racism in Indiana, Massachusetts, California, and Michigan after WWI. It's everywhere.

While there are many mistakes that have been made in the south, there are many distinguishments to be proud of. I love the character and charm of the south and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Not only have we produced great musicians, but also, great writers and great minds.

I love being a Southerner. I do think that Southerners are the last group of Americans that it's still politically correct to make fun of. I mean, we all know the list of disparaging cultural and racial terms that are socially unacceptable. However, people can still freely use the words, 'Hick', 'Hillbilly', and 'Redneck' at their leisure even though the connotation is the same as those 'off limits' words.

Ok, I live in Mississippi. I know when alot of you guys hear Mississippi, you think of hicks, rednecks, people who do not wear shoes, racist, and a whole lot of other negative stuff. ..

Only if you listen to Hollyweird or other big city folk. I'd rather sit down to play on someone's porch in my bare feet, drinking a tall jar of sweet tea, than play on the streets of Manhattan.

But that's just me.

Mosquitoes?

Northern Minnesota is worse than the Delta area of Miss... I was there with the National Guard some years ago and a senior sergeant was last seen as two of 'em picked him up and hauled him away from where he was between the trails of a towed 155mm howitzer.

Seriously, I was in a tent, in a sleeping bag with a poncho wrapped around it, wearing socks, and I still got mosquito bites on my feet.

OTOH, cockroaches in the south are huge.

m

Archived