Gibson Brands Forums

Humiliate the Other Guy

heymisterk

I thought it came from the "call and answer" concept that exists in African music and that blues players weaved into the blues, not as a competition. I am not saying it cannot become one though.

So you are saying like a "dance off" but on guitar?

Yes, like a dance off. Or as in a jazz combo where each musician takes a turn playing a solo. Or a rap/hip-hop MC battle. Call and answer are identical by definition, OTOH.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a jam or studio setting, I rarely find myself in the position of working with musicians that have noticeably less ability than I...... When I was younger I definately didn't have the patience to deal with it, and now that I'm older, my patience level for those situations isn't much improved.

IMO, it's the responsibility of the musician to know his or her present abilities, and where he or she will fit in and jam with those that maneuver in that same radar space....

In a nut shell know your ability....

Am I reading you right to think you are a session musician?

Heck, I can learn something, from almost anyone. And, if not learn,

then at least be reminded, of something I've forgotten. Of course,

out here, in the "sticks," we don't really have the luxury, of being

all that picky, as to only jam with those that are at our level, or

above. If we felt that way, we'd never leave our houses. Even so,

we don't get to jam, with anyone, nearly often enough. To those that

have lots of opportunity, to jam/play, with only the best, I guess I

can understand their reluctance to do so, with anyone less qualified.

But, we just don't have that situation, here, at all! [tongue][unsure]

CB

Am I reading you right to think you are a session musician?

No

Just if I am working on a project with musicians, there must be clear description and direction...... I'm not in to "oh we will just figure it out as we go along." Waste of time for me [thumbdn]

IMO so much more is accomplished if all involved know exactly what is supposed be done

Don't be sorry.... I'm not...

I approach music my way, and only involve myself in projects that have a clear direction and fits my style of playing. If a blues band needed a guitar player, I wouldn't try to fit in to that...... I'm not into wasting mine or anyone else's time.

Too often Ive seen guitarist trying to wedge themselves in to a situation they simply dont belong in.

I'm mainly a "rhythm and riff" player but I have been known to pull a good solo out of my ***. I have good days and I have not so good days, and some in-between days as well. If I go to an open mic or any where to that matter I try and do my thing the best I can, I just don't complain to much about how I messed up this or that, like I do when I rehearse.

I try not to think about what others are playing but I will check every one out and silently grade them, just on how well they had there stuff together, not really compared to myself. I wouldn't approach some one out of the blue

saying that they suck, I might say some thing like....."That was a different way of playing that song, you ever try it in such in such a way?" Most likely I'd just talk to people about gear or song(s) I might like to learn or how fun it is to get up there and jam.

I keep it as a practice to only play what I know how to play but have had to wing it a few time's with mixed results, I like to be prepared as I can but would be the first one to admit my own mistake's. I don't care how some one else plays or if they are better than me, although I may see some one do really good and say to myself... "Man, I got to work on some more song's or that guy/band is good!"

I'd be more apt to complain about how crappy the sound was or how if I could have 5 min's with that EQ that the sound guy didn't even try and work with! I wouldn't push the matter just say thanks for letting my play and move on or not go back to that particular open mic place.

Archived