Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite tuner?

T Bone

Okay, last time I asked after I bought. Can't find that thread anyway. But I'm puttting together a new pedal board (Pedaltrain Nano this time) and need another tuner (I hate taking them off my other boards).

I have a Boss Tu2 on one board, and a TC Electronics Polytune polyphonic tuner on another, like them both. I was thinking maybe just to pick up a TU3, but maybe another Polytune, or maybe something else. It'll need to be compact (going to try to squeeze 4 pedals on there, and one is a bit larger, a Soul Vibe from BBE). These plus a(nother) MXR Carbon Copy (love these) and a Tube Screamer (practically mandatory, though I'm undecided between a TS9 and a TS 808 at the moment).

This will be a "grab and go" board, for open mic Jams, etc. Probably no power, thinking just batteries. Convenience is what this one is about, with minimal basic effects I like to use.

Your thoughts? (The tuner is why I wrote this, but feel free to add in opinions on other components too).

Best thing to use is a keyboard or a good set of tuning forks, I have a Snark, an analog Peterson strobe tuner, a digital Peterson strobe tuner a tuning fork and a few other pitch-pipe type thingies. The analog Peterson need's to be re-calibrated, witch would cost more than $100.00 to have done but it is very accurate. I've learned to get use to the Snark so I use it all the time as it's portable and almost indestructible. [thumbup]

Thanks guys, some great suggestions. The Peterson's are supposed to be one of the best, but they're all too large for this application I think. The Snark looks really cool and affordable, think I'll pick one up for my acoustics, but not what I'm looking for in this case (board mounted compact tuner). Tuning forks and pitch pipes are great, but not for a stage setting. Tuning by ear isn't any better in that case (for an occasional tweak, fine, but what is needed is something that can be fast and accurate and done visually, so the crowd doesn't have to sit through tuning).

I'm also happy with the Polytune, and may still get another. The TU3 would be adequate too I'm sure. One that was referenced in the other thread that I couldn't remember was the Korg Pitch Black tuner. I want to check that one out before I buy. Also thanks for the mention of the Sonic Research ST 200, wasn't aware of that one and it looks like it might fit the bill as well.

Another group I was unaware of was the Hardwire series from DigiTech (thanks for the mention there!). What surprised me when searching Polyphonic tuners on eBay, was the DigiTech Hardwire HT6, their entry into the Polyphonic market. Very interesting box there, looks like a good one. Unfortunately, at 3.5 inches wide, I think also too wide for this board I'm putting together.

So far, I think the Polytune is in the lead for several reasons, including width. But I'll get out some pedals and either try to fit them or measure later today, and see exactly what I have room for.

I have a black Snark clip-on tuner.

It is great for bass. You can do intonation with it, too. It will register harmonics from the bass, too. Nice tuner.

I have a Fender clip on also, but doesn't seem to register the harmonics, unless I am doing something wrong with it.

My TU3 has always done the job for me (but its kind of a tone sucker. Not drastic, but a good ear will notice a small difference. And it effed up my Cry Baby when it was placed first). I have a Polytune and its pretty good. But I really wanna try those Hardwire tuners. But the Polytune does the job and it does not suck tone at all. I like all TC stuff. I might get a G Major 2 for all my post fx (delays. verbs, chorus, etc).

Wow, that Polytune Mini does look cool, but it does look as though battery isn't an option there (pity). No worries, I may have to go to a different vibe pedal (found a couple of awesome and expensive boutique pedals yesterday while researching), but the standard Polytune will fit. The Hardwire looks good too, but I think it's too big (plus, I really do like the looks of the Polytune). Think I've decided on it, now to see if the Soul Vibe will work or I need to up the $ for a Mint Green Mini Vibe or a DryBell Mini Vibe Machine.

Archived