Gibson Brands Forums

Is this worth looking at? Les Paul 2008 Standard

a7d7e7

I found this on ebay, the seller lives 3 miles from my house. These upgrades that were made sound extreme at all? Here's the description he posted on ebay:

2008 GIBSON LES PAUL STANDARD PLUS

in MINT condition !!!

+ 1959 R9 upgrades

-Enlarged neck tenon for increased sustain

-Burstbucker Pro PUPS

-Tone Pros Locking Bridge and Tailpiece

-Neutrik Locking Output Jack

-Locking Grover Tuners

-Plek System Guitar Setup

-Asymmetrical Comfort Neck

The following value added upgrades were made to give this LP a 1959 R9 vibe:

-4 genuine Gibson 500k- audio taper-short shaft pots...

....all tested for actual resistance value and selected for placement on actual values to insure optimal performance.

-20 AWG tin plated copper buss wire - period correct

-Luxe Repo Bumblebee PIO {paper in oil} capacitors.....022mfd / 400 vdc

-period correct capacitor wiring {50's style}

-genuine Switchcraft switch - nickle finish - prewired w/vintage style braided- shielded cloth insulated wire

-correct "deep rounded" nut for correct switch installation in Les-Paul guitars

-Gibson vintage reissue tall pickup rings

-Gibson 50's style pointers

-Gibson historic truss rod cover...

These upgrades were done by a master luthier and have brought this '08 Les Paul to life!!

-the neck is straight...the action low...

-this guitar was only played a handful of times....if it was hanging in a store, you wouldn't know it was "used"

-it is the “PLUS” model so the beautiful cherry burst top on this guitar has a subtle and gorgeous flame.

-the guitar comes with the original mint case and all the case candy, including Dunlop strap locks.

-also the upgraded wiring diagram is included.. . .

-the guitar is dead mint without a mark on it anywhere!.. . .

-the sound of this guitar is awesome and just what you would hope for from BurstBuckers.

-weight is a bit over 8lbs.

***A unique Les Paul with rare upgrades.***

I've never understood why a person would buy a guitar, put a couple hundred in upgrades, rarely play it, and then sell it. Maybe it's a hobby gone bad?

If the guitar is reasonably priced and they will let you see it then check it out - it can't be any worse than some of the people on Craigslist.

Hello! One thing caught my attention. "Enlarged neck tenon for increased sustain". How that's possible? Did He remove the neck, made the neck joint deeper and putted on a long-tenon neck??? I am confused... Cheers... Bence

-Enlarged neck tenon for increased sustain

-Burstbucker Pro PUPS

-Tone Pros Locking Bridge and Tailpiece

-Neutrik Locking Output Jack

-Locking Grover Tuners

-Plek System Guitar Setup

-Asymmetrical Comfort Neck

From what I know these are the Normal specs you get with an 08 Standard

...These upgrades that were made sound extreme at all?

No.

He's trying to make it sound like he's completely transformed the instrument but all he's really done is swap out some of the original electrics/wiring and change some plastic parts. The caps/pots swap might have made the guitar sound better but that's entirely subjective. It might have sounded better - to your ears - before he started tinkering. It's impossible to tell.

It's still a 2008 Standard and should be priced as such. The cost of the 'upgrades' shouldn't add much to the value of the guitar.

IMHO, of course.

P.

Well at £1500 that is a fare price.

The upgrades for the most part are just cosmetic.

The only real upgrade is the removal of the 08 Circuit board & new square pots for more traditional Gibson CTS pots, with 50's wiring and "oil filed" Bumble Bee caps.

This should should produce more mellow output with the change, but its a question of taste.

I have a similiar setup with my Traditional but the Neck Pickup Magnet has been Peter Green'd also

Archived