Gibson Brands Forums

Holy 6-String, Batman!

Buc McMaster

I am stunned at the sound of my new J-45TV......what a guitar! When I arrived home last night from work I hauled it out of it's bomb-proof brown case and didn't put it down until I crawled into bed....my wife is a guitar widow! (.....well....I did take a moment to eat some supper and play the H-Bird too!) Solid, make-you-wanna-cry tone from this beauty! I know many of you have 45s but this is my first experience with the model and I am beyond impressed! The Hummingbird and the 45 are two distinct sounds, the H-Bird having a smooth warmth while the J-45 is much more present and distinct. I cannot imagine having two guitars more suited to my playing. Only a Gibson is good enough!

The previously failed recording session is back on! I have hired two A-list session players that I have never met before, the resophonic/banjo guy and an upright bass player. We'll meet at the studio on March 2 and knock out two tunes, Helldorado (on the Hummingbird) and Stones of Circumstance (on the J-45), two of my personal favs from my short catalog. Still trying to work out the video recording of the session.....I'll think of something! In the meantime, I have another new tune I plan to do at home, probably this coming weekend. I can't express how much joy I get from sharing music with all you fine folks here on the GAF. Thank you all for your enthusiasim! [thumbup]

I am stunned at the sound of my new J-45TV......what a guitar! When I arrived home last night from work I hauled it out of it's bomb-proof brown case and didn't put it down until I crawled into bed....my wife is a guitar widow! (.....well....I did take a moment to eat some supper and play the H-Bird too!) Solid, make-you-wanna-cry tone from this beauty! I know many of you have 45s but this is my first experience with the model and I am beyond impressed! The Hummingbird and the 45 are two distinct sounds, the H-Bird having a smooth warmth while the J-45 is much more present and distinct. I cannot imagine having two guitars more suited to my playing. Only a Gibson is good enough!

The previously failed recording session is back on! I have hired two A-list session players that I have never met before, the resophonic/banjo guy and an upright bass player. We'll meet at the studio on March 2 and knock out two tunes, Helldorado (on the Hummingbird) and Stones of Circumstance (on the J-45), two of my personal favs from my short catalog. Still trying to work out the video recording of the session.....I'll think of something! In the meantime, I have another new tune I plan to do at home, probably this coming weekend. I can't express how much joy I get from sharing music with all you fine folks here on the GAF. Thank you all for your enthusiasim! [thumbup]

Maybe I'm the most concerned to read your post about your new J45 TV ! Coz my J45 TV is upcoming to me in a couple of days...

And I've been anxious and kind of worried of my J45 TV, transit, Customs tax, possible damage, dealing with courier, sound quality and whether return, etc ,hehehe.. I'm 90% happy with last purchase of luthier's choice J35, and wonder if this time J45 TV can reach 80% happiness....

I can't express how much joy I get from sharing music with all you fine folks here on the GAF.

The feeling is totally mutual Buc. So glad to see you back in the saddle and cranking out tunes with unbridled enthusiasm.

Can't wait to hear/see the results from the upcoming studio session. Great news!

There's nothing more rabid than a convert and a true believer.

Man oh man I am a true believer!! Just grin ear to ear while playing either of these wonderful guitars! I have been of the "one guitar at a time" school of thought since I sold all my electric gear and turned acoustic......I now hear the error of my thinking. The 45 is so focused and punchy, perfect for rock n' roll style in-your-face stuff. The Hummingbird is warm and fuzzy, great for easy going stumming tunes. They both have their place in what I do and they fit that place perfectly. The 45 is the new kid on the block so of course it's getting most of the attention for now.

These two kids doing the session are amazing players with reputations that proceed them, and they both seem to be as jazzed about the session as I am! I hope to capture the definitive version of both of these tunes come next Friday. Taking a day off work to make it happen......sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, ya know? [cool]

I have a J-45 and like it but wonder if I should get a TV instead. If a TV is better, I want one.

You know what is said about a bird in the hand. I suppose on paper the TV versions are "better" guitars in general, but like much of guitar feel and tone, it's very subjective as to what's better and what's not. You might buy a TV model and not be so impressed with it compared to your standard.....impossible to predict. I do know that of the four or five other 45s the store had in stock, the TV I bought was the better sounding instrument. The only real, physical differences are the Adirondack top wood, the Adi bracing and the hide glue construction and I can only assume that these are what makes for the tonal difference in a TV. All I know for sure is I got a good one!

The tops is one argument, but I'm not sure hide glue has any tonal shaping properties, Buc. I'd say the TV lines are a touch lighter built, that would have a more significant impact on the tonal character of a model.

My guess is the psychology behind it goes along the lines of the standard models shifting more numbers and bought for all purposes so have to be a little stronger in construction to take many styles of play, the TV line is a bit of a step into the 'discerning customer' territory, before it leaps right into it in the Legend series and Monarchs etc... these guitars are in all likelihood treated a little better or more precious or babied. Perhaps less likely to be in a warranty situation...the irony being that the further up the ladder you get the more likely the customer is to use a warranty for the merest imperfection.

I found the SJ-200TV I bought to be significantly better than the SJ-200 standard models I had tried, but the reality is probably that it was lighter and seemed more resonant, a livelier feel creates a positive impression and by that you're convinced it's better.

On the other hand it could be they are more similar in build than is assumed and that it simply takes a while longer to produce the TV line and thus the production cost is higher.

by the way, lovely guitar. Many you have many a happy year with it.

Archived