Gibson Brands Forums

Noel Gallagher model it isn't but.....?

lennon08

So I bought this guitar roughly 10 tens ago. It has always been a mystery to me.

So here is what I know:

It was originally bought at a Dallas guitar show

I bought it from Michael Guthrie in Athens

The sticker says it is a Sheraton II (plays/feels nothing like my mid 90's Sheraton II)

Sticker also says Noel Gallagher model (this looks more like his Union Jack than the ones Epi made years ago including the correct tailpiece and pickups)

It plays and sounds great.

On the back of the headstock it has Custom plate

Of course the serial# has been blackened out. I think I can read the last for digits.

Any ideas would be great, Thanks for reading.

IMG_20120221_153908.jpg

IMG_20120221_153839.jpg

IMG_20120221_153917.jpg

IMG_20120221_153934.jpg

You know I never noticed the misspelled name. I had Noel sign it years ago and it was never brought up. I got Noel to sign the guitar years ago so it def a piece I will have for many years to come. I wonder why someone would bother to black at the serial#?

I agree, I guess when they put in the Mini HB's they covered the screw holes from the original HBs. Some one really too some time on this. The color is off from Noel's but it crazy close. It is a lot of work for a player that most of the US could care less about.

The Noel Gallagher signatures have been Rivieras with different headstocks and different inlays...

this one looks like a Sheraton with a modded tailpiece and repainted to me

http://epiphonewiki....agher_Supernova

[confused]

I agree, I guess when they put in the Mini HB's they covered the screw holes from the original HBs. Some one really too some time on this. The color is off from Noel's but it crazy close. It is a lot of work for a player that most of the US could care less about.

To answer both posts at once...

The only problem with this, is that there are no Sheratons with mini-hums with this headstock configuration. They would have had to fill the pickup routes to put in those mini-hums.

and the stoptail-studs.....and hide it under the repaint

Yeah, thats probably easy though. I dont have a clue about how to fill in the humbucker routes to maintain enough integrity to hold a smaller pickup. I'm sure there is a way, but probably not so easy for the layman.

I have compared them in person just never thought to look at the label. The model Epiphone came out with really was a joke. Not sure outside of money why Noel agreed to it. I must say joke only in that the Union Jack looks nothing really like his outside of the paint job.

Didn't the original Sheraton models come with frequensator and mini Humbuckers?

Yes, but the headstocks were either the short or elongated open-book style. This guitar has the fancy version of the clipped-ear headstock like the Sheraton II. And all of the mini-hum versions produced in the recent past have had the same elongated open-books like the second gen. 1960's Sheratons

Yes, but the headstocks were either the short or elongated open-book style. This guitar has the fancy version of the clipped-ear headstock like the Sheraton II. And all of the mini-hum versions produced in the recent past have had the same elongated open-books like the second gen. 1960's Sheratons

Oh yea, and a Riv doesn't have the floral inlay on the headstock. so we reckon it's a modded Sheri ii of some sort?

looks closer to the Noel guitar than the proper signature does. :unsure:

Hey people!

Take a look at this one, taken from Maine Road DVD:

noel%20g.jpg

Same guitar, isn't it?

I'm a HUGE fan of Noel and all his work, and I think that the guitar could be real. Not the Supernova, but a custom Noel Gallagher's Sheraton (a personal one, I mean).

Noel is known by the use of Gibson Archtop guitars (not Epiphone) since he is famous (Definitely Maybe, 94) and if you search, there's no videos or notice that he ACTUALLY used his sign model (a.k.a Supernova) in concerts, videoclips or etc.

The guitar in question, obviously, is NOT a supernova, but it could be a special finish made for the Oasis guitarist, and acquired by our friend.

I confess, if it's truth, I'm jealous. Haha.

Hi that would be nice but not sure it came from Noel's camp. He signed the guitar for me and the never said a word. I should have said something when he did it but I felt odd having him sign it. He has always been cool when we talk to him I just usually ask him to sing a record or poster.

As a matter of fact I am going to my 4th solo Noel show next month in DC. I can't wait!

• 1 month later...

If I were you, I'll take the guitar to DC and try to ask him if the guitar is the same (or, at least, an original one) from Maine Road.

It's so hard to do, i know, but if you got a sign at your guitar, I think you can ask it :)

The Noel Gallagher Union Jack Guitar is a mid to late 60's (if i remember correctly a 67) original Epiphone Sheraton with the mini Hums and the frequencer tail piece

It was originally Tobacco sunburst and his ex wife had it re-painted in Denmark Street

It is not the same as the Sheraton II (Which is still a very nice guitar) and nothing like a Supernova

By the looks of it and i hope this doesnt cause offence its a home made job

How does it play?

The Noel Gallagher Union Jack Guitar is a mid to late 60's (if i remember correctly a 67) original Epiphone Sheraton with the mini Hums and the frequencer tail piece

It was originally Tobacco sunburst and his ex wife had it re-painted in Denmark Street

It is not the same as the Sheraton II (Which is still a very nice guitar) and nothing like a Supernova

By the looks of it and i hope this doesnt cause offence its a home made job

How does it play?

Archived