Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 weights

j45nick

We often talk about how the weight of our guitars affects their tone. I recently bought a fairly small precision scale for work, and tested it by weighing all my guitars and guitar cases. I found to my surprise that my J-45 was one of my lightest guitars, coming in at 4.2 lbs (1.9kg). By comparison, my 000-28 EC, which is a somewhat smaller guitar, weighs 4.4 lbs (2kg). Both guitars have "open-back" style tuners and no electronics, so those potential variables are out of the equation. Of course, one is rosewood and the other is 'hog.

Has anyone else weighed their J-45 with a precision scale? Not talking a bathroom scale here.

JT, I suspect you've weighed a bunch of banner J-45's as part of your studies.

I would love to have access to a scale like that. I am amazed at how light my '48 SJ is. It is the lightest guitar that I own. My '80 LP standard,on the other hand, is the absolute heaviest. It goes 10lb. on the bathroom scale. I bet its closer to 11 than 10.... :blink:

I have 2 thermometers, but never owned a weight. Closest thing is The Bands single w. I Shall Be Released on the B-side.

Never the less the Q. is interesting. Something tells me they differ from wave to wave. Some of them old ones are very light – not least due to the dried wood I believe. . .

Of course various neck thicknesses play in also.

Could you provide more specifics on the scale that you're referring to? Where do you buy such a device?

This is just a small medical scale. Resolution is 100 grams or .1 lb, but it is supposed to be accurate at small weights. It would be similar to a postal scale.

Wow !

World champion ?

The lightest J45 TV we can see on Music123/Musiciansfreinds site is 4.0x lb.

I wonder if you used a not that precise scale.

I had second thoughts about even asking this question, just because it isn't that common to have an accurate small scale around.

Well I have a digital bath scale that weighs to 100ths........that said 3.50#. Then I hung it by a tuning key from my certified scale I still use (when I go!) weighing the mighty fishes I capture........that one says 3.5# as well. Both agree, but both could be wrong I suppose. It certainly is a featherweight guitar..........

Well I have a digital bath scale that weighs to 100ths........that said 3.50#. Then I hung it by a tuning key from my certified scale I still use (when I go!) weighing the mighty fishes I capture........that one says 3.5# as well. Both agree, but both could be wrong I suppose. It certainly is a featherweight guitar..........

That is sure light for a modern guitar, that's even less then my Santa Cruz VJ which weighs in at 3lbs 13 1/2 ozs.

I weigh my guitars on a postal scale that I have at work.

My Fullers J35 is 4lbs 4ozs

My Martin D Mahogany 09, is 4 lbs 1/5 oz.

I don't have a scale that size, but there is an earlier postthat provides a comparison of several models. It is from March 12, 2011 titled What do yourguitars weigh???? On that thread a j45 mc weighed in at 4.6 and a SJ TV came inat 4lb 2oz.

chasAK

Archived