Gibson Brands Forums

Am I crazy? Does my new Les Paul smell like... Vanilla?

Vega1

Took me a while to place it, but it finally occurred to me that the smell wafting off my new Les Paul Studio Deluxe (or its case?) smells like vanilla. Maybe the materials used to treat the guitar before it ships form the factory? Is that by design? Anyone else notice that? Is it the case?

Or am I just imagining it... [unsure]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I thought the same thing about my 60s Tribute Cherry Sunburst LP Studio, smelled like a vanilla candle. Which is better than my Explorer case, which smelled like vomit (I swear some previous owner had a rockstar moment and threw up in it, it took me several months and lots of carpet cleaner, Febreeze, and boxes of dryer sheets to get that out...) Fortunately the Explorer itself seemed unaffected.

Hello! That's very interesting! My brand-new Classic Custom smells the same! First I thought it had something to do with process of production of the baked maple fingerboard, because my 50's Tribute didn't had that scent (and I assume the Studio Deluxe has rosewood 'board too). Both guitars were unboxed in front of me - never bothered before I got them, since they left the factory. I doubt it's the finish, since both guitars finished with nitro... But yes, that should be the hardcase then, since the Tribute came with gigbag. Cheers... Bence

Thanks everyone. Agreed, it is a really nice smell. This has been a defining experience for me... not only do I finally own a Les Paul, in a finish that melts me (ice tea burst), which is playing and sounding every bit as awesome as I'd hoped... on top of all that the darn thing smells like vanilla too? [wub][love][drool]

Actually, my Southern Jumbo had that aroma when it was new. I feel pretty sure its the adhesive used in the guitar case. Goes away after a while.

Definitely the lacquer - still used in auto finishes too. I know the smell well. Gibson uses nitrocellulose lacquer on its electric and acoustic instruments. The finish will off gas for quite some time - longer if the guitar is kept cased when not in use - as the concentration of the gases in the air inside the case goes up, it slows down the off gassing from the finish (a kind of equilibrium in a closed container).

Took me a while to place it, but it finally occurred to me that the smell wafting off my new Les Paul Studio Deluxe (or its case?) smells like vanilla. Maybe the materials used to treat the guitar before it ships form the factory? Is that by design? Anyone else notice that? Is it the case?

Or am I just imagining it... [unsure]

Yup, my LP Classic Custom sure does. I noticed it immediately. I like opening up that case and catching that scent, same with my acoustics too, except it's the unfinished wood that smells so darn nice... [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Definitely the lacquer - still used in auto finishes too. I know the smell well. Gibson uses nitrocellulose lacquer on its electric and acoustic instruments. The finish will off gas for quite some time - longer if the guitar is kept cased when not in use - as the concentration of the gases in the air inside the case goes up, it slows down the off gassing from the finish (a kind of equilibrium in a closed container).

And everybody thinks a New Car smell good.....they don't know nothing.

Hmmm, I don't think so.

After my son had his Martin 000X1 for a while, I bought him a TKL guitar case for it. He commented on the weird sweet smell, and when I looked into it, it was the case. We let the case sit open for a week or so, and the smell faded away.

Interesting... so if my math is correct we have 4 votes for the lacquer, 4 for the case, and 1 for 'other'.

Using a highly scientific method.... (sniffing the guitar, then the case, then the guitar, then the case again)... it did seem very much to me that the guitar's aroma was significantly less strong than the case. This would seem to lend credence to the theory that its the case smell rubbing off on the guitar and not the other way around. However, I have no data to back that up at all.

All I know is it smells great.

Man, is there a crop of "Huffers" around here? [biggrin]

I love nitro and don't mind the smell, a really sweet fragrance. I've just been exposed to too many solvents & cleaners (not for huffing!) over the years with my work. When I got my J-160E Reissue in it hadn't hung on any dealer wall for months and was absolutely "fresh" (7 days MT to Dealer to me) from Bozeman factory. I had to wear my paint respirator when I'd play it cuz I like the smell but was getting dizzy & sick feeling after about 10 mins if I didn't. :rolleyes:

Had to air that baby out during the days on a stand. The Nitro really gassed off and is still somewhat strong when he's been in his case. Same with the Dove & the J-45 Custom. Really strong and sweet, but I'm a light weight now. [cursing]

Got to protect my lungs after being so sick last year. Brain cells too, don't have any to spare!! [biggrin]

Aster

For those who have never worked with lacquer - http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/respirator-required-with-lacquer/ . . B)

Thanks for the info. This guitar was on a GC wall for what I believe was at least a couple weeks. Guess it takes a while huh? So is what I'm smelling dangerous? Like Aster1 said, I don't have alot of brain cells to spare. :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

I believe that smell is of the case+guitar... When i sniff thoroughly; case smells like vanilla flavoured car spray. But on the guitar i smell it plus a woodsy note. Combination really smells like a vanilla flavoured candy or a candle. That significant smell is a combination of the odorant of case and the nitro cellulose lacquer of the maple finish... Chemical as a lacquer yet natural as a vanilla root.

That combination's likely pointing that you have had a genuine Gibson instrument... I believe this is the most important issue when considering the odour...

I just received my Alpine White Studio Saturday the 17th. It has the new granadillo board. As I stated,to me the smell is a combination of.

Cookies,glue,paint and solvent.

I may actually miss that aroma when it is gone.

Archived