Gibson Brands Forums

Am I crazy? Does my new Les Paul smell like... Vanilla?

Vega1

When the case is opened for thebfirst time after being packed from the factory there's a whole host of scents going on from all those combinations of finishes, case glue and material... I call the scent new guitar bliss.... ahhhh!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed this when I received my LP Classic Custom last week.... extremely strong when I opened the case for the first time.

The guitar has now been hanging on the wall in my den for several days, and the case is closed in a different room in the house. The entire den smells like vanilla! My vote is with the guys who say that it is the nitrocellulose lacquer outgasing.

Oh... and did I mention that my dog can fly now and the pink giraffes roaming around my den when I play don't even care about the dog! [thumbup]

I got mine exactly a month ago. It still smells like vanilla, even tough I play at least 2 hours everyday on it. I am just curious if it's the nitro, why didn't my 50's Tribute smelled the same when it was new. I still think it's the hardcase. Anyone on behalf of the Company? :) Cheers... Bence

Ah! Forgot to mention! I've immediately treated my Classic Custom with Virtuoso as I arrived home with it. Virtuoso has it's own, very distinctive odour. But it still only smells like vanilla. My 50's Tribute gets the same treatment and smells like Virtuoso (and it came with a gigbag only). Cheers... Bence

• 9 months later...

A couple of months ago, I had to purchase a brand new Gibson case for my 81' LP Custom because the original case's latches were history (long ago already) and the top cover was warping. When I went down to my local guitar shop to buy it, they brought out it in a sealed box. When they pulled it out, it smelled like vanilla and kinda like cotton candy, how sweet. My LP Custom has a vintage guitar smell to it, like old wax or ?, anyhow, after the LP had been in it's new home for about a week, I took it out to play and it too now smells as sweet as it looks. The vintage smell is still there, but not as much as before. Also, I've purchased a few of the 2012 Tributes and a LP 60s' Tribute, they all came with bags and none of them have the vanilla scent on them. Maybe it's because of thier satan finish is different from the nitrogloss, just don't know. :rolleyes:

A couple of months ago, I had to purchase a brand new Gibson case for my 81' LP Custom because the original case's latches were history (long ago already) and the top cover was warping. When I went down to my local guitar shop to buy it, they brought out it in a sealed box. When they pulled it out, it smelled like vanilla and kinda like cotton candy, how sweet. My LP Custom has a vintage guitar smell to it, like old wax or ?, anyhow, after the LP had been in it's new home for about a week, I took it out to play and it too now smells as sweet as it looks. The vintage smell is still there, but not as much as before. Also, I've purchased a few of the 2012 Tributes and a LP 60s' Tribute, and none of them have the vanilla scent on them. Maybe it's because of thier satan finish is different from the nitrogloss, just don't know. :rolleyes:

What are the interior colors of the cases?

Yeah.. this topic comes up every few months.. its an amazing smell..

However from what I have read and the fact I have re-sprayed on of my guitars with Nitro.. The conclusion that most of us come up with is that its not actually the Nitro making that smell but the glue that they use on the cases.. Thus when you leave you guitars out like I do, the case still smells like vanilla and can do for several months if you dont open them often.

Yeah.. this topic comes up every few months.. its an amazing smell..

However from what I have read and the fact I have re-sprayed on of my guitars with Nitro.. The conclusion that most of us come up with is that its not actually the Nitro making that smell but the glue that they use on the cases.. Thus when you leave you guitars out like I do, the case still smells like vanilla and can do for several months if you dont open them often.

Shame on you Rabs, proper guitar care edicate states that when you are done playing your guitar, you wipe it down with polish and then put it back into it's case. Now stop being lazy and get with the program! HaHa, a little Friday morning rant, from me to you. [lol]

Cheers Mate!

Shame on you Rabs, proper guitar care edicate states that when you are done playing your guitar, you wipe it down with polish and then put it back into it's case. Now stop being lazy and get with the program! HaHa, a little Friday morning rant, from me to you. [lol]

Cheers Mate!

I quit using polishes all together and just wipe my guitar and fretboard with a cotton rag sprinkled with Body Powder, works like a charm!

VP

Cheers Mate!

I live by my own rules... LOL :P

Plus id agree if I intended to ever sell them.. But I dont.. So my guitars stay out as they are as much works of art as they are istruments. I enjoy looking at them as much as I do playing them.. And ive had my Classic since 2002 and its always been out. And is still in perfect condition, never needed to asjust the nek and all I do is dust them and polish once in a while..... So I dont agree with that particular guitar obsessiveness :)

I mean, why would I want to hide this lovelyness in a case :)

DSC01884.jpg

I have been thinking sweet play-doh but now that someone says vanilla I can smell that so I am going with vanilla play-doh. I don't know if it is the case or the guitar but whatever it is, it is a happy smell. Sometimes when I don't have time to play I'll just open the case, take a deep breath and a look at my beauty, then close it back up happy.

I quit using polishes all together and just wipe my guitar and fretboard with a cotton rag sprinkled with Body Powder, works like a charm!

VP

I'm sorry Pete, but you are in direct violation of Gibson's Care & Maintenance Code Pg. 18 sec.2. You run the risk of being fined a undisclosed sum of money to be determined by Mr. Henry Juszkiewicz. Repeat offense could result in your guitar(s) being confiscated altogether. [scared][lol]

Plus id agree if I intended to ever sell them.. But I dont.. So my guitars stay out as they are as much works of art as they are istruments. I enjoy looking at them as much as I do playing them.. And ive had my Classic since 2002 and its always been out. And is still in perfect condition, never needed to asjust the nek and all I do is dust them and polish once in a while..... So I dont agree with that particular guitar obsessiveness :)

DSC01884.jpg

Is that a LP Classic in Cinnaburst I see?

I am trying to post some photos but Gibson is "Shortchanging" me.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.431073736927646.87175.278179168883771&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.426275024074184.85961.278179168883771&type=1

VP

VP

The Classic is I think officially a Vintage Burst or Tobacco Burst.. one of those :) At the time I bought it I wasnt such a guitar freak so I didnt know or care... I just loved the way it looked and played (and it looked like one of Slash's guitars who is one of the people who got me playing). :)

And for photos.. yeah you only get 500k or something. most of us on here use http://www.photobucket.com use the IMG link it gives you.. up to 5 per post [thumbup]

I'm sorry Pete, but you are in direct violation of Gibson's Care & Maintenance Code Pg. 18 sec.2. You run the risk of being fined a undisclosed sum of money to be determined by Mr. Henry Juszkiewicz. Repeat offense could result in your guitar(s) being confiscated altogether. [scared][lol]

I know, I got banned from HomeRecording.Com for suggesting this "Blasphemy"!

VP

The Classic is I think officially a Vintage Burst or Tobacco Burst.. one of those :) At the time I bought it I wasnt such a guitar freak so I didnt know or care... I just loved the way it looked and played (and it looked like one of Slash's guitars who is one of the people who got me playing). :)

And for photos.. yeah you only get 500k or something. most of us on here use http://www.photobucket.com use the IMG link it gives you.. up to 5 per post [thumbup]

What year is yours? Mine is a 2001 and it said Cinnaburst on the receipt.

VP

VP

Also something I nearly ALWAYS forget to mention.. My Classic is not just a Classic but one of the 1960 RIs, mine has a light back. Imnot sure there was much difference between them and the normal Classics apart from my pickguard had 1960 printed on it :) (But I took that off anyway). (mines a 2002)

DSC01826.jpg

Also something I nearly ALWAYS forget to mention.. My Classic is not just a Classic but one of the 1960 RIs, mine has a light back. Imnot sure there was much difference between them and the normal Classics apart from my pickguard had 1960 printed on it :) (But I took that off anyway). (mines a 2002)

DSC01826.jpg

My back is Heritage Cherry and I also had 1960 on the pickguard. What PUPs do you have?

VP

DSC01884.jpg

Oh sure, just rub it in my face why don't yah! Very nice nice family pic. Where's your Firebird? When I get into a lenghthy practice session, I usually have about three or four guitars out at the same time. However, I live in earthquake country and with my luck, I don't take chances or anything for granted. In other words, better safe than sorry. :rolleyes: I was playing my 60s' Tribute just the other day, man, are those things sweet or what? I won't be able to play guitar for at least a couple of days, I got a severe case of winter hands. It's been mighty cold here and working outside has given me a case of 150 grit sandpaper hands. I know, I could help you out by sand your guitar that you are building. This just sucks and no lotions are helping much. I know I should have had gloves, but to late now. #-o

So back to the original topic...

We still seem to have no clear decision on what exactly the source of the smell is. Some are still vehemently claiming its the case while others are just as vehemently claiming it is the finish.

Who can solve this once and for all? [biggrin]

Oh sure, just rub it in my face why don't yah! Very nice nice family pic. Where's your Firebird? When I get into a lenghthy practice session, I usually have about three or four guitars out at the same time. However, I live in earthquake country and with my luck, I don't take chances or anything for granted. In other words, better safe than sorry. :rolleyes: I was playing my 60s' Tribute just the other day, man, are those things sweet or what? I won't be able to play guitar for at least a couple of days, I got a severe case of winter hands. It's been mighty cold here and working outside has given me a case of 150 grit sandpaper hands. I know, I could help you out by sand your guitar that you are building. This just sucks and no lotions are helping much. I know I should have had gloves, but to late now. #-o

:)

Unfortunatly I had to let the firebird go :( .. It was that or my 2008 Standard, and as cool as the Firebird was my 2008 is too sweet too loose. Its a shame but just gives me an excuse to get another one when I start a new job :)

Yes I agree if you live in a place like that, way better safe than sorry.. [thumbup] (and yes, the Tributes 60s and 50s are special.. im not even sure why, they are just right :))

Vega, sorry 8-[ didnt mean to take the thread over, you know how these conversations just develop.. But I am about 95% sure that its the glue that they use in the cases. As mentioned in one of the earlier posts, if you get a guitar like a Studio that comes in a softcase you dont get that smell. :)

Archived