Gibson Brands Forums

Am I crazy? Does my new Les Paul smell like... Vanilla?

Vega1

\:/

:)

Unfortunatly I had to let the firebird go :( .. It was that or my 2008 Standard, and as cool as the Firebird was my 2008 is too sweet too loose. Its a shame but just gives me an excuse to get another one when I start a new job :)

Yes I agree if you live in a place like that, way better safe than sorry.. [thumbup] (and yes, the Tributes 60s and 50s are special.. im not even sure why, they are just right :))

Vega, sorry 8-[ didnt mean to take the thread over, you know how these conversations just develop.. But I am about 95% sure that its the glue that they use in the cases. As mentioned in one of the earlier posts, if you get a guitar like a Studio that comes in a softcase you dont get that smell. :)

Oh Man, I'm really sorry to hear that. :( However, at least you got to play on one, Gibson wont do those Left Handed. :-"

All apologies to you Vega, for meandering on and on. Back to the case in point. Rabs says he's about 95% sure, I'm gonna say I'm 250% sure it's the adhesives used in the case. Another possiblity could be an added fragrance to the lining material. Also, the fact that none of my Tributes (SGs, Firebirds, LP) that came in gigbags have any hint of this wonderful scent. \:D/

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I smelled it in the case of my new Standard. I have my 98 in there and, my Standard in the old 98 case. The smell I do believe comes from the case. It is a pleasant smell. My first Les Paul Special did not have that smell it is a poly finish on it, LP Special SL. New Marshall amps have a smell to them as well!

1359167044[/url]' post='1317232']

I smelled it in the case of my new Standard. I have my 98 in there and, my Standard in the old 98 case. The smell I do believe comes from the case. It is a pleasant smell. My first Les Paul Special did not have that smell it is a poly finish on it, LP Special SL. New Marshall amps have a smell to them as well!

Did they ever make USA Gibsons with a poly finish? Not sure. I bought a few new Gibsons in the early 80's. they are nitro and never smelled like vanilla. My guess is the polishing compound. I sprayed a few of my own guitars with nitro and the lacquer tended to smell like lacquer thinner, go figure.

What color is the inside of the case?

VP

Did they ever make USA Gibsons with a poly finish? Not sure. I bought a few new Gibsons in the early 80's. they are nitro and never smelled like vanilla. My guess is the polishing compound. I sprayed a few of my own guitars with nitro and the lacquer tended to smell like lacquer thinner, go figure.

Right, it is not the lacquer. Lacquer is a very distictive smell but not the same as the smell from the white cases.

VP

What color is the inside of the case?

VP

The inside of my black Standard case ( the one with the smell ) is white. The outside cover is black aligator like finish with Gibson USA.

The inside of my Special SL case is purple fuzz with a pink cape cover. The outside is brown with Gibson USA and numerical combination lock.

I've been keeping my Standard in the old case. The Standard is the one with the nitros finish. It does no smell like vanilla. The other new case does. I believe it is the little moisture absorbtion packet inside causing the smell perhaps. It is either that or the new case itself.

Archived