Gibson Brands Forums

Date this guitar.

PeterB

Screw-down head plate indeed. So it's a 1968 Dove.... thanks.

It's not the "headplate" we're talking about being screwed down. What you show in the detail photo is called the truss rod cover, not the "headplate", which is not a term we use. It's the pickguard we're asking about, which is the large irregular-shaped plastic piece with the dove and the flowers inlaid on it on the top of the guitar. Is that screwed on, or just glued?

Worthless eh? I've had that guitar since I was in high school.

Through thick and thin, (having to sell other guitars to make the rent), I've held onto the Dove.

Peter , Rob was just joking . The guitar has value .

alot of people like the 1968 specs ...

Gibson is actually putting out a 50th anniversary Dove N ( N for Nartural) based on some 1968 featueres

JC

Peter , Rob was just joking . The guitar has value .

alot of people like the 1968 specs ...

Gibson is actually putting out a 50th anniversary Dove N ( N for Nartural) based on some 1968 featueres

JC

JC....danged! Now Peter will NEVER send it to me!

You know me.... I LOVES the Doves!

well Rob . ask Robi Johns if he can send you a Dove reissue :) .

JC, Robbi really impressed me. VERY knowlegeable about woods, and guitars, etc.

If he's an example of the folk working in Boseman, Gibson will be fine in the future.

Oh yeah....and the 1968 Dove reissue was something to behold!

JC, Robbi really impressed me. VERY knowlegeable about woods, and guitars, etc.

If he's an example of the folk working in Boseman, Gibson will be fine in the future.

Oh yeah....and the 1968 Dove reissue was something to behold!

Robbie is a Good Guy... Hes been with Bozeman for a long time.. I remember him from back in the early 90s.. Excellent Guitar player too... He knows his stuff..

as for the 68 reissue Dove, Tunomatic bridge.. (Eekk) That was a tone killer... skinny Nut.. , screwed on pick guard.. whats next?

as I mentioned.. I could see Norlin reissues,, That Dove isnt that far off..

as for the Whitley,it was done in the Centennial year with Brazilian,, The Sj200 Rosewood and maple.. those were done in the Centennial year.( The thing that bothers me here is the headstock is different) L5? so that would make the Centennial incorrect... . the Jackson browne Mohagany was also a Centennial Roy Smeck with Rosewood,,, and Cheryl Crow SJ Banner.. I wouldnt buy one because its Got a celeb name on it.. besides they had that Model back in the early 90s with both Rosewood and mohagany back and sides....

Archived