Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J45 - Learning Stones " Love in Vain

passthej45

So anywhoooo I'm sitting there toasting to Mardi Gras(I live in south Lousisana). And I decided to video Stones " Love in Vain " intro. After I loaded it up , I noticed that A. The tempo was rushed

B. It seemed mechanical and lacking soul

I had previously done a few takes and kept screwing up , so I tried being more "careful" , thus losing the music

BUT>..I also noticed that "pickguardless" J45 sure looked good . So what the heck I left it up.

Love in Vain....sorta

So anywhoooo I'm sitting there toasting to Mardi Gras(I live in south Lousisana). And I decided to video Stones " Love in Vain " intro. After I loaded it up , I noticed that A. The tempo was rushed

B. It seemed mechanical and lacking soul

I had previously done a few takes and kept screwing up , so I tried being more "careful" , thus losing the music

BUT>..I also noticed that "pickguardless" J45 sure looked good . So what the heck I left it up.

Love in Vain....sorta

Played well !

But I wonder how come your J45 seems to have a Waverly nickel metal tuners ?

(Common to have a Grover with J45 STD.)

probably when you put them on and who you bought themfrom

i was just thinking that yours sounded brighter than mine , that would explain it , i had elixirs on mine when i first got it and surprisingly liked them as on my last guitar they sounded way too bright , but i'm doing the different strings each time thing for a while jut cos its fun

sounds nice , and i like your tuners. i changed mine too cos i like open backed , got grovers, mine are chrome , but i like the look of your nickel ones a lot , look much better on the guitar than they do on a website

I was expecting the worst after that build up!! But it was pretty good :rolleyes:

Are you learining from a tab? If so, could you link to it please? Cheers.

Actually you can go to this guy for all of your Stones needs. He sets the camera pointing at his hands and plays to the record. He's easy to follow and accurate. Here he is playing to Country honk, with links to other Stones on his site listed by album. Hope that helps.

I love the Stone's take on "Love in Vain" and have been playing it a long time. That song is just fun to play.

I play it in Open G tuning though. It is one of the few songs that folks can still get me to throw a solo in on. Sometimes I use a bottleneck other times I don't - it just depends on my mood.

Archived