Gibson Brands Forums

Can anyone help me date this?

J_Bones

Yesterday I picked up a ET-280, and I must say I really enjoy this thing. A little work and it could end up being my main player. I want to add a new bridge, but have to make sure it fits under the ash tray. Also thinking about putting some mini humbuckers in it. When I was looking to buy a bass or two after getting paid from Uncle Sam I came close to buying a Rumblekat but was afraid of the short scale. Then I ended up going to a local shop and found a Ibanez AGB200 and fell in love with em. To the point Im debating on sending my LTD Phoenix back and getting a EB-0. But now Im getting off topic(Hate being a newie).

Yesterday I was trading some old speakers and stuff in at the local consignment shop and some guy was playing the ET-280. I went over and talked to him while he was calculating my trade offer. He then handed it to me and I played it for a few and handed it back. As soon as he told me how much trade I had, I said I want that. I didnt know if the guy was buying it or not but first come first serve right????

Got it home and started trying to find the model name out, took awhile to. Then once I figured that out I got more curious. So here I am, from what I read the first year didnt contain the Epiphone "E" and didnt have much of a bell shaped trust rod cover. Which fits the description of mine. But I figured since its been few and far responses Id see what you guys thought.

EpiphoneShortScale.jpg

Yeah, its a Matsumoku-made ET-280. Made from 1970-1975. I cant get anymore specific on the year. Every time I try to pinpoint the year on these old Matsumokus, I fail miserably.

Yea, thats what Im trying to do is pinpoint it. Ive seen several times that its next to impossible to do. The only thing I found that Im trying to recofirm is that the first year or two years didnt contain the Epiphone "E" on the pickguard, and the trust rod cover isnt as bell shaped. As you can clearly see no "E" and there is no bell like cover either. Its more what Id call a diamond shape. I havent owned alot of Epiphones had a Les Paul twice and this bass. So Im really green with Epiphone markings.

Well, the picture in the 1971 catalog looks like yours. No "E" on the pickguard or truss cover...and the truss cover looks like yours as well. In the 1974 catalog, it has the "E" on both the pickguard and truss cover.

So we can at least put yours at 1970-1971. I dont have the 1972-1973 catalogs.

Thanks alot man, at least I got it narrowed down a little. Anyway I could see a pic of them in the catalog or where I might be able to find a pdf format of it?

Apparently in 1970 & 1971 (at least) they were called the 1820. 1974 lists them as being called ET-280.

1971epiphone_page12.jpg

1974epiphone_page3.jpg

• 7 months later...

I don't know if you guys found out any more about the differences in the years, but I just picked up one of these..

It has the 70-71 (1820) pickups, but has the E's on the solid black pick-guard and truss cover.. and no thumb rest..

Maybe this was the transition year (72-73) that you guys were missing.. The guy I bought it from did tell me that it was a 73, so that would make sense..

Just thought I'd throw this in here in case anyone else was looking also..

post-48172-017331100 1351051759_thumb.jpg

post-48172-059493800 1351051765_thumb.jpg

Archived