Gibson Brands Forums

Do you drink coffee?

heymisterk

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Gaggia espresso machine at home, and I usully mke just one cup a day (occasionally 2 on a weekend), usually mid-morning.

I grind my own beans fresh right before I use them - I'm very fortunate, my daughter works in a coffee shop and the owner ordered me a kilo at a time of the same beans they use - and I get it a cost price (coffee is VERY expensive in the UK).

I usually have a double-shot "Americano" or "long-black" for the Aussies - 2 x 1oz of expresso topped up with host water. I have it black and no sweetener. I find if you get a really good espresso, it has a "sweetness" of it's own. Almost a "fruitiness" - hard to describe, but similar to the sensation you get when you let a square of good dark chocolate (70%+ cocoa) dissolve slowly on the toungue.

Love good coffee - hate most instant coffee. I don't like Starbucks espresso, but I do like they're filter coffee. There are 2 other big chains here in the UK - Costa Coffee & Cafe Nero - both make much better expresso than Starbucks, IMO.

Yeah much like most the people here i have two cups in the morning and thats it.. I do love it though, I get the italian illy coffee, its lovely...

Out of a matter of interest though.. I had been speaking to one of those modern therapists who do like acupuncture and massages to correct spinal issues and stuff like that (he actually owns a local guitar shop too).. Anyway I was talking to him as he was helping my father out for a while. My dad is pretty ill at the moment and has Ostio Perosis (a muscle wasting dissorder) and this guy reckons that coffee is a big factor. My dad drinks the really strong turkish coffee and alot of it, the guy i know reckons that coffee makes it harder for the body to absorb what it needs for the body to build bones and hair and stuff like that, and thats what he reckoned caused my dads problem...

Not that I want to turn this thread into a health one.. But I just wanted to mention that cos this guy generally knows what hes talking about. But then really too much of anything is bad for you, even water so I guess its not suprising.

When I lived in the OC we had a place in Tustin called Diedrich's.

They would roast all of their beans right there.

It was the best smelling place around.

I'd go in there and just sit for a couple of hours listening to music, reading or studying.

It was a great place to go to have coffee and just hang out.

That's where I got my first taste of Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee.

They always had coffees from all over the globe. It was a real geography lesson to say the least.

I remember that place well. Maybe we have met?

I used to hang there a LOT around 89-92?

We used to actually bring our acoustics and jam there informally. Remember any of that?

I remember that place well. Maybe we have met?

I used to hang there a LOT around 89-92?

We used to actually bring our acoustics and jam there informally. Remember any of that?

It is indeed a small world.

That's precisely the time I was hanging out there.

I don't know if we met or not, but yes, I do remember some acoustic guys playing there.

It's too bad they sold out to Starbucks.

I loved that place.

I bought four very large coffee mugs that were made by one of the Diedrichs. I was told they were made by the wife of the owner. I still have three of them and use them every day.

We used to go to the one in Costa Mesa/Newport Beach too and I've been in the Brea location as well.

Small world.

It is indeed a small world.

That's precisely the time I was hanging out there.

I don't know if we met or not, but yes, I do remember some acoustic guys playing there.

It's too bad they sold out to Starbucks.

I loved that place.

I bought four very large coffee mugs that were made by one of the Diedrichs. I was told they were made by the wife of the owner. I still have three of them and use them every day.

We used to go to the one in Costa Mesa/Newport Beach too and I've been in the Brea location as well.

Small world.

Surely, we have met. If I could only remember!

I can't place you, but we both would have looked a LOT different. You is about 5 years older than me. So, at the age we both were, I would have been very much a 'kid'. I am also thinking looking back, I must have embarrassed myself more than once.

There was absolutely NOTHING to do in Tustin at that time, no where 'cool' to go, and the coffee shop was a new type of thing and a new hang out.

At that time I had got the idea of having an acoustic with me at all times, cause you never know. Then I got to the point of always keeping 2, that way if I ran into another player, the jam was ON! I met these brothers who used to hang there, a guitar player and a singer. They had some really beautiful songs, and Drew could croon like Bing Crosby, BEAUTIFUL voice. Sinse I could improvise, I could play along pretty good. Eric and Drew lived right up the street. We were joined by another guy Mike at times I recall.

It wasn't long before we moved the 'jams' from the tailgate to the coffee shop. They would tolerate it for a while, then ask us to stop. We took request, and some liked it, but understandably, some found it a nuisance. I like to think we were the first to play there, and the first to get booted for playing there.

I also knew Robert (who did the woodwork, and built the bar) and became pretty good friends with his friend/roomy Frank. Oddly, I never met (or recall meeting) any of the Dietrichs.

Ring any bells? Did we actually jam together?

Use a Bunn like BadBluesPlayer (hope thats right) and make coffee weak, very weak, way weaker than most other people even imagine.

I drink all day, and use Muscle Tech Protein Mix (vanilla) sometimes like a creamer, but the protein mix is way better.

Drink it cold in the summer and sometimes in the Winter and sometimes Hot (mix in the protein mix to make it mix better).

(I drink some pop also so...............)

Slow drinking.

I absolutely love coffee and most days drink at least a pot full.My favourite is Kona Hawaiian but since it's now over $50 a lb. it's a bit out of reach.We can get quite good Hawaiian coffee here but it's not Kona which comes from a particular mountain area of one of the islands.I also really like Kenyan AA coffee if it is a medium or light roast.I find the dark roasting or espresso roasting to strong and thatit burns the oils in the beans.I just like plain coffee with cream and sweetener and don't go at all for the fancy Starbucks style café-mocha-java-frappé-issmo coffees they aren`t coffee but coffee flavoured desserts.

Surely, we have met. If I could only remember!

I can't place you, but we both would have looked a LOT different. You is about 5 years older than me. So, at the age we both were, I would have been very much a 'kid'. I am also thinking looking back, I must have embarrassed myself more than once.

There was absolutely NOTHING to do in Tustin at that time, no where 'cool' to go, and the coffee shop was a new type of thing and a new hang out.

At that time I had got the idea of having an acoustic with me at all times, cause you never know. Then I got to the point of always keeping 2, that way if I ran into another player, the jam was ON! I met these brothers who used to hang there, a guitar player and a singer. They had some really beautiful songs, and Drew could croon like Bing Crosby, BEAUTIFUL voice. Sinse I could improvise, I could play along pretty good. Eric and Drew lived right up the street. We were joined by another guy Mike at times I recall.

It wasn't long before we moved the 'jams' from the tailgate to the coffee shop. They would tolerate it for a while, then ask us to stop. We took request, and some liked it, but understandably, some found it a nuisance. I like to think we were the first to play there, and the first to get booted for playing there.

I also knew Robert (who did the woodwork, and built the bar) and became pretty good friends with his friend/roomy Frank. Oddly, I never met (or recall meeting) any of the Dietrichs.

Ring any bells? Did we actually jam together?

No Stein we didn't.

However if you were around then, I'm sure I saw you playing there.

Robert did a great job on the bar and coffee bins. That place was stately when it came to coffee houses.

You're right about there being nothing to do in Tustin at that time. It wasn't long after this that the Tustin Brewery opened up the road on Newport Blvd.

I liveed right across from Foothill High School on the corner of Newport and Foothill Rd. Going to Diedrich's was always a part of my routine even when I went away to college because me and my friends would often come down to Diedrichs just to have coffee and study.

The commercial Bunn has been part of my life for more than 20 years.

My brother and I tease that I use far more coffee for a 12-cup pot than he uses for a 30-cup maker.

No joke here, when I was in Brazil the locals couldn't believe I wanted the biggest cup they had, filled with their nice and syrupy coffee, and no cream or sugar.

So... Yeah, you could say I like my coffee.

m

Archived