Gibson Brands Forums

Do you drink coffee?

heymisterk

I just discovered Illy and I love it. I also like Peets Kenya and Caribou Lacuna.

I would drink it every waking hour, but I like sleep too much and I don't want to get caught with a caffeine headache if I should be without coffee, so I try to limit myself to two cups every other day.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Occasionally at work in the morning during the week or at home before the dinner hour on the weekends.

French press, beans ground, steep 5 minutes, with whole or 2% milk (no sugar or cream/half & half).

Mostly drink tea. No milk or sugar. Only a dab of honey.

I do love some coffee. After I quit smoking a few years ago, it was all I had left. I don't drink it all day like some folks. Usually 2 cups in the morning (one with breakfast, and one in my mug at work). Weekends, I might have 3 or 4 cups. My favorite way is fresh ground, in a French press, maybe a 1/2 spoon of sugar, and a touch of cream or half and half. I try to buy unground fair trade stuff.

I was 52yrs old & had never drank a cup of coffee,one day my wife comes in with some fresh ground starbucks in a bag and made a pot.I've been drinking coffee now for eight years now 2/3 cups in the morning with breakfast,now I got to have it.

So, are you a java junkie, and how do you take yours? [thumbup]

Nope, not me. My mom drinks it like it's going out of style, but I never really cared for the taste.

In fact, I rarely drink anything with caffeine any more. About 25 years ago I was drinking 6-12 cans of Pepsi a day, just at work...and doing the same when I got home. I got into a short-lived vitamin kick back then, and found out that caffeine negates the benefits of some vitamins like Vitamin-C. So, I gave it up cold-turkey, and never looked back.

Nowadays my drink of choice is lemonade. Or cherry flavored Kool-Aid. I had a Sprite at a concert last month, and I could barely stomach it...it was just way too sweet.

I didn't want to bring it up for fear of turning this thread into a 'political' one, but as Americans, we need to keep a close eye on what is happening with Starbucks and coffee.

Americans are addicted to coffee, and we as of yet have no alternative source. Like gasoline, we can't stop using it. Coffee per gallon is actually close to the same price, and like gasoline, if the price goes up, we have no choice but to drink it.

What Starbucks have done, knowing this situation, have made attempts at monopolizing. In fact, if you go to the supermarket, nearly all the coffee and the brands are owned by Starbucks.

They have also put a Starbucks on every corner of every street, so that anywhere in the US, you can't look and not see one. Not only is it for running other coffee shops out of business (they don't NEED to because they supply all the coffee) but such a convenience causes us to then depend on having one on the way to and from work, and during to have to have a cup of Jo. Now that it is part of the routine, it is just as vital to have them as it is to have gas stations. Shut down Starbucks, and see what happens to the American workplace. It would seize to function for a time until alternatives could be found for consumption. And who owns that? Starbucks.

Even more frightening, is that Starbucks has expanded into providing food and other beverages. People don't HAVE to stop at Burger King like they do for Starbucks so if you can get food too it makes the stop at other places less and less, so the likelyhood of replacing all drive-thru services is very real.

Think about this for a minute: Even if the extreme left and environmentalist succeed in eliminating fossil fuels, they are still drinking coffee. And more of it. There isn't a protest or a think tank anywhere that doesn't require large amounts of quality coffee beans. If you don't consume caffeine, you don't compete. Supplying coffee assures that no matter which side of the political fence wins, you succeed. If you control the coffee, you can set prices.

Starbucks currently has control of nearly all the coffee. Once they get control of the pipelines and can pump it in like they do oil, it will be too late.

Shut down Starbucks, and see what happens to the American workplace. It would seize to function for a time until alternatives could be found for consumption. And who owns that? Starbucks.

Really... you think the world would stop without coffee.. I dont think so.

If people dont want to pay that much for coffee they dont have too.. Mc Donalds and BK sell coffee too as well as other coffee shops and even some book stores and theres hundreds of brands and you can drink it at home and alot of places give free coffee at work so whats the issue? If you dont want to pay that much then dont, no one is forcing anyone to buy.. if people want to do it and are even in the habbit, thats down to them. What about indivdual responcibility? The corperate companies just take advantage of peoples stupid spending and buying habbits that I would say is more controlled by multi media such as movies, tv, gossip nmagazines, the news...

You act like having fresh coffee is a right, its not, its a privilege.. There are places in the wolrd that dont have fresh water, electricity or even food let alone freshly ground coffee.

I drink it every day at home and sometimes when im at work and NEVER pay those stupid prices cos its not worth it..

The only Starbucks outlets here in Newfoundland are in Chapters Bookstores which is alright with me because Ièm not at all fond of it.I find that Starbucks roasts their beans almost to the burning pointwhich makes it strong and bitter.In Canada we have Tim Horton's coffee which I find far more potable than Starbucks.Here in NL we have Screech coffee which is flavoured with our famous Newfoundland Screech Rum.One coffee that's extremely good and really full bodied without being bitter or strong is Jamaican Blue Mountain next to Kona Hawaiian it's tied for my 2nd choice with Kenyan AA.

I find that Starbucks roasts their beans almost to the burning pointwhich makes it strong and bitter.

Yes I was going to say that too.. I totally agree.. So not only is it super expensive but it tastes bad too..

Well, regarding the Starbuck's comment above, I never stop at Starbuck's - or any other coffee shop, for that matter - for a hot cup of coffee: the only time I buy Starbuck's beans is when I get a gift card from students. I think coffee you buy at SB's is a rip-off, though I understand they do practice fair trade coffee growing practices.

I usually buy a big bag of whatever Costco has that is also fair trade...and I admit that sometimes that is Starbuck's beans relabeled as Costco brand.

Really... you think the world would stop without coffee.. I dont think so.

alot of places give free coffee at work so whats the issue?

Have you experienced the effects on a work force when they are suddenly deprived of caffeine? It is disastrous. If the operation does not come to a screeching halt in an effort to obtain caffeine, the performance of the crew or workforce is seriously compromised.

No offense, but I am talking about the American workplace. I don't know how the English would respond to a Tea embargo.

Try and imagine a roomfull of smokers addicted to nicotine suddenly held captive and deprived of smokes. What if it was the whole of a maintenance crew for an airliner? Would you feel safe on that plane?

Have you experienced the effects on a work force when they are suddenly deprived of caffeine? It is disastrous. If the operation does not come to a screeching halt in an effort to obtain caffeine, the performance of the crew or workforce is seriously compromised.

No offense, but I am talking about the American workplace. I don't know how the English would respond to a Tea embargo.

Try and imagine a roomfull of smokers addicted to nicotine suddenly held captive and deprived of smokes. What if it was the whole of a maintenance crew for an airliner? Would you feel safe on that plane?

Haha, tea embargo :)

No we are much the same over here, loads of Starbucks and the like all over the place.. Some people live on the stuff.

But I stil say even though yes you would have some very moody people to work with.. Can you imagine going to your boss saying, man I cant work today cos theres no coffee.. I doubt it would be accepted as an excuse.. Anyone who literally couldnt even function without coffee really needs help.. (and I know they exsist).. But I still say that either way there are plenty of alternatives to Starbucks, so you may have to drive a bit further and its not as convinient, but its down to the individual to make that extra effort if they believe in what you are saying (and im not saying your wrong, I think we all hate corperate operations).. As an individual its all you can do, but most people dont even bother doing that.

No we are much the same over here, loads of Starbucks and the like all over the place.. Some people live on the stuff.

But I stil say even though yes you would have some very moody people to work with.. Can you imagine going to your boss saying, man I cant work today cos theres no coffee.. I doubt it would be accepted as an excuse.. Anyone who literally couldnt even function without coffee really needs help.. (and I know they exsist).. But I still say that either way there are plenty of alternatives to Starbucks, so you may have to drive a bit further and its not as convinient, but its down to the individual to make that extra effort if they believe in what you are saying (and im not saying your wrong, I think we all hate corperate operations).. As an individual its all you can do, but most people dont even bother doing that.

Coffee is everywhere in the US, so an excuse such as "I can't come in because there is no coffee" does not yet exist. But there are many Americans that actually do refuse to work until they get it. If coffee was suddenly not available anywhere, there are many Americans who would either refuse to work, or would not be able to. It would be pandemonium.

As for the price of coffee and obtaining it, we currently enjoy it anywhere from 80 cents a gallon to 20 bucks a gallon depending on the preparation. BUT-the point is that once Starbucks gains the entire market and control over the entire supply (and they do now or are very close) they can set prices where ever they want. Like oil, Americans will not drink less or be able to go without unless an alternative source is found.

I predict coffee will hit the 6 dollar a gallon mark in the next 5 years.

I read a study, I think it was posted on slate.com a few years ago, that showed when a Starbucks moves in it usually helps the rival coffeehouse on the block. The gist of it was that 1) having the Starbucks around made coffee more visible in the neighborhood and 2) people who saw a line at Starbucks for $4 coffee would frequent the local shop instead.

As to the monopoly argument, I think that's bunk. There are plenty of alternatives. Just look at McDonalds. They're everywhere too and their coffee is better and cheaper than at Starbucks. Not that I begrudge Starbucks their sales. I wish I had thought of it first.

That would make it easy for the manager to decide on the next round of layoffs.

Archived