Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson vs. Taylor

Pottski

So I thought I would make a video comparing my current guitar, a J-185 EC to the guitar I traded for it, a Taylor 714ce. I'd like to preface this by saying that I know they are completely different guitars, and I am not doing this to say that one is better than the other. It is more of an exercise in listening for me. I just happened to have video footage of my playing the same chord progression on both guitars, from the same camera (Zoom Q3 HD). I think the camera may have been a foot or two farther from the instrument in for the Gibson shoot, but it has a pair of stereo condensers, so the sound quality should be about the same. Anyway, let me know what you think.

http://youtu.be/_wJ0aXLFJsY

So I thought I would make a video comparing my current guitar, a J-185 EC to the guitar I traded for it, a Taylor 714ce. I'd like to preface this by saying that I know they are completely different guitars, and I am not doing this to say that one is better than the other. It is more of an exercise in listening for me. I just happened to have video footage of my playing the same chord progression on both guitars, from the same camera (Zoom Q3 HD). I think the camera may have been a foot or two farther from the instrument in for the Gibson shoot, but it has a pair of stereo condensers, so the sound quality should be about the same. Anyway, let me know what you think

I think we'll need the link to appreciate the video.

Thanks. Will kick back and enjoy. Bear with that 185 if you like the sound. If it's a matter of getting used to a full gloss neck after satin, you'll get there. I guess the beefier neck profile may take a bit longer, but it should become bearable too, unless you have super small hands. I'm interested to hear what you have to say about body shape after your weekend gigs. I'd have imagined that the 185 shape was the closest Gibson has to the Taylor GC, but then again...

Thanks. Will kick back and enjoy. Bear with that 185 if you like the sound. If it's a matter of getting used to a full gloss neck after satin, you'll get there. I guess the beefier neck profile may take a bit longer, but it should become bearable too, unless you have super small hands. I'm interested to hear what you have to say about body shape after your weekend gigs. I'd have imagined that the 185 shape was the closest Gibson has to the Taylor GC, but then again...

Yeah, the gloss neck is definitely taking some getting used to. I have actually had the guitar for about 8 months and I think it is still growing on me each time I play it. After you mentioned the neck thickness I went and checked the specs on the Taylor. I think it was wider at the nut than the Gibson, but the Gibson neck definitely feels thicker. It is definitely different, but I'm sure the variety will only make me a better player in the long run. Thanks for your comment.

I think judging by the the time spent on each guitar; the preferred guitar was The Gibson [biggrin] - the Taylor only appeared in the last twenty seconds of the video. The Gibson got a smart and nicely lit back ground, the Taylor a dimly lit and dull room LMAO.

They both sounded good though, The Taylor seemed to have a warmer and darker tone and the Gibson brighter and more projection.

They were different enough to justify owning both!

Matt

I think the Gibson sounded a lot better as you loosened up and hammered it a little bit more. The first few bars had me scared.

They sounded close on the E string, but the Gibson sounds a little more responsive in the upper chords.

How were the strings on the Gibson when you videoed this? Sounded a little like dead strings until you loosened up and hit it.

I think the Gibson sounded a lot better as you loosened up and hammered it a little bit more. The first few bars had me scared.

They sounded close on the E string, but the Gibson sounds a little more responsive in the upper chords.

How were the strings on the Gibson when you videoed this? Sounded a little like dead strings until you loosened up and hit it.

The strings are about a week old, DR Rare lights I think. I don't think I like them very much. They have seemed a little dead since I put them on. I had a set of Martin SP Lifetimes on it and they sounded great, but I broke the D string within a week of putting them on. Don't know what was up with that. I haven't broken a string in 5 years.

If I had to guess, I would say the Taylor had pretty new Martin Marquis lights when I shot that video. It was about a year ago so I don't remember exactly, but those are my preferred strings.

The Gibson can definitely handle the hard strumming a lot better than the Taylor (the Taylor couldn't handle it at all). I still don't know which sound I prefer, but I do wish I still had that Taylor. It would be nice to be able to play both of these guitars on a regular basis.

I'm curious what you're listening to and/or comparing . - Spruce/Maple vs Cedar/Rosewood? . - Scale Length: 24-3/4" vs 25-1/2"? . Going in the Spruce/Maple should be brighter and the Cedar/Rosewood should be a bit warmer with more low end. The video is a bit short on the Taylor take and the volume is down a bit, or is the 185 projecting better? Anyway, to my ear, the 185 sounds brighter and louder and the Taylor sound a bit muted in the high end.

Taylor makes a fine guitar. I've owned a couple Taylors and currently have one, but my acoustic preferences run Gibson, Martin, Guild and then maybe Taylor. However, if we were talking about onboard pups and an amp, I would move Taylor up my list a bit.

Archived