Gibson Brands Forums

truss rod adjustment tool for an R8

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest farnsbarns

Anyone know anything about these / where to get em.

I recently acquired an R8 and it needed a slight tweak on the truss rod. I got a 5/16ths socket and it wouldn't go on the nut because the recess is too tight. In the end I took it to my brother's place where he has expensive Snap-On sockets which are very thin walled. Fitted fine and a quarter turn later I was happy. Thing is, I'm not buying Snap-On sockets and I'm not going to take my guitar to my brother's house every time the season changes.

I've looked around but I can't find a genuine Gibson tool and have concerns about buying a crap tool that won't fit in the recess on eBay.

Guest farnsbarns

That guitar should have been sold with not only that tool but loads of other goodies. I would go back to the store and request it and other items usually sold with "Custom Shop" guitars...

Nope, unfortunately we don't get them here in Europe. Actually, I believe they're not provided outside the US.

I've seen the Stew Mac ones but it isn't a Gibson part and they don't give OD measurements so I can't be sure it'll fit in this tight gap. Any with a reissue and one of these stew mac tools able to chime in?

That guitar should have been sold with not only that tool but loads of other goodies. I would go back to the store and request it and other items usually sold with "Custom Shop" guitars...

This is probably the best idea.

Aside from that, I find that nearly all the time a 'standard' socket will fit, but the fit is so tight and there is so much finish goop and such knowing if you have the right size can be hard to determine.

The sockets don't need to be of high quality, as you aren't going to to be stressing them.

Nope, unfortunately we don't get them here in Europe. Actually, I believe they're not provided outside the US.

I've seen the Stew Mac ones but it isn't a Gibson part and they don't give OD measurements so I can't be sure it'll fit in this tight gap. Any with a reissue and one of these stew mac tools able to chime in?

Yeah we do get them over here.. just rarely.. I got one with my Firbird 2011, but out of nine I have bought new over the years its the only guitar that ever came with one.

I had a thread about this a short while ago and we came to the conclusion that maybe they only have a certain stock.. Also some people said that if they ordered the guitar directly that it came with a tool every time..

im still a bit confused on the situation (same for the shrowds that you sometimes get with LPs)

(are there any official Gibson people that can confirm this because if we are meant to be getting them I can have a big moan at my guitar shop :))

• 4 weeks later...
Guest farnsbarns

Yes.

Unfortunately, NO! It does not, it is too bulky and doesn't fit in the recess properly. I've decided to buy a 12 point, 5/16 ring spanner and grind the ring wall so it is very thin, I'll also get the bench grinder on the handle and make that narrower while I'm at it. This will become my truss rod adjustment only tool, I wouldn't want to put much torque on it after I ground it to about 1/32 thick.

Stew Mac did deal with my complaint very well, refunding the cost of the item and the postage without question and without me returning it. Can't say fairer than that can you?!

I don't think it's a ReIssue prollem, I think the hole is too tight. I'd get a stocker Gibson truss wrench and ream the hole until it fits. That's what they would do before it left the building if they knew it was too small.

rct

Guest farnsbarns

I don't think it's a ReIssue prollem, I think the hole is too tight. I'd get a stocker Gibson truss wrench and ream the hole until it fits. That's what they would do before it left the building if they knew it was too small.

rct

The problem with the Stew Mac tool appears to be that it is too tall, the centre axis of the recess, as it was machined, is not in line with the truss rod, it's angled away from the headstock slightly so it is tighter towards the top. That's why I decided on a ring spanner, no room needed about the adjustment nut then.

Guest farnsbarns

They work fine on my RI's. As does a nut driver, as well as a 5/16 socket with extension and ratchet.

All of them.

Maybe mine has a thick layer of finish in there, whatever the reason , I'm gonna make my own tool for that guitar and keep it in the case, as I do a small philips and small flat head screwdriver.

The problem with the Stew Mac tool appears to be that it is too tall, the centre axis of the recess, as it was machined, is not in line with the truss rod, it's angled away from the headstock slightly so it is tighter towards the top.

I hate when that happens.

That's why I decided on a ring spanner, no room needed about the adjustment nut then.

We don't have spanners in Americur. I'd prolly end up using a reamer if I could find it, a 1/4" drill bit, or a hammer and screwdriver to biggerfy the hole. You have it under control though.

rct

Wow. Owning a Reissue sounds a little like owning a Ferrari: It is absolutely wonderful to drive, but get ready to bend over when it is time to tune it up...

Sorry, but I find it ludicrous that - with the money Gibson charges for these Reissues - they can't throw in a wrench that fits the truss properly.

Shame on them.

Wow. Owning a Reissue sounds a little like owning a Ferrari: It is absolutely wonderful to drive, but get ready to bend over when it is time to tune it up...

Sorry, but I find it ludicrous that - with the money Gibson charges for these Reissues - they can't throw in a wrench that fits the truss properly.

Shame on them.

They do come with one, mine came with my guitar

Guest farnsbarns

One way I look at it is, If it's time to step up to a reissue.

You should already have the tools and knowledge to work on them.

lolz

Really? You think it's unacceptable to have a reissue unless I have bought a truss rod tool in advance? I just used a 5/16 socket and extension on the 4 other Gibsons I've owned over the last 15 years, didn't know it would be an issue, what's more, Gibson don't sell their own tool, Stew Mac's tool blows goats, but I only found that out very recently, and a socket wont fit. You seem to be saying I should have the tool before I be allowed to buy the RI but you haven't been able to offer any useful advice on where I might get an appropriate tool. I've explained how I intend to make one, no good? No? I have to be able to predict the future before I buy the guitar as well? OK! Seems a weird place to be, still, opinions eh? We've all got one!

Its kind of a shame that all Gibson don't come with it. I suppose for some folks, you would end up with a whole pile of them.

My R0 came with a bunch of stuff. Truss rod tool, wrench and other assorted case candy.

I've heard that in some cases, some of the case candy disappears when the retailer opens the box to put the guitars on display.

I got a call from my retailer when my R0 came in. I rushed over to get it before they even opened the box.

Really? You think it's unacceptable to have a reissue unless I have bought a truss rod tool in advance? I just used a 5/16 socket and extension on the 4 other Gibsons I've owned over the last 15 years, didn't know it would be an issue, what's more, Gibson don't sell their own tool, Stew Mac's tool blows goats, but I only found that out very recently, and a socket wont fit. You seem to be saying I should have the tool before I be allowed to buy the RI but you haven't been able to offer any useful advice on where I might get an appropriate tool. I've explained how I intend to make one, no good? No? I have to be able to predict the future before I buy the guitar as well? OK! Seems a weird place to be, still, opinions eh? We've all got one!

I actually learned to do my own adjustments on my R0. Worse case scenario, I would have had to bring it into the shop to undo what I did. I did do my homework before going near a truss rod adjustment and went very gingerly.

Archived