Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage SG neck widths

Hymn of Rlyeh

Hi I recently bought a 1979 Gibson SG Standard. Its a great guitar and has one of the fastest necks I've ever felt. It has a very narrow neck width/fret lengths . I've seen many other vintage SGs that seem to have much wider necks. I was wondering if there were any charts or dimensions for neck widths for SGs? I cant seem to find any data on the internet. Im curious if I have a custom built SG/neck, or if the narrow neck was standard on a 1979? Any Advise?

Hi I recently bought a 1979 Gibson SG Standard. Its a great guitar and has one of the fastest necks I've ever felt. It has a very narrow neck width/fret lengths . I've seen many other vintage SGs that seem to have much wider necks. I was wondering if there were any charts or dimensions for neck widths for SGs? I cant seem to find any data on the internet. Im curious if I have a custom built SG/neck, or if the narrow neck was standard on a 1979? Any Advise?

In 1979, an SG Standard would probably have 1-11/16" nut width. It's highly doubtful that your SG has a custom built neck. Think how many SG's and SG variations have been made over the years by Gibson ... including re-issues, recreations, limited editions, and custom shop guitars ... it might be impossible to know all the variations of all of them. And Gibson hasn't always been that reliable in the specifications department. There are many great books out there devoted to Gibson solid body guitars and could help you classify nut widths by year or by SG model style.

Paul, I don,t believe any neck measurements are exactly standard with Gibson guitars through the years. My '65 SG Special measures 1-21/32 at the nut. I know, basically 1-5/8. But it has substantial thickness as well. Much thicker than a '60 LP Junior that I once owned. And much wider and thicker than a '72 SGII that I have recently played.

I am not talking generalities, but actual measurements and playing experiences with the feel of the instruments. Jes' explaining my personal experiences, for what its worth.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 78 SG and you are right about the neck. It is lightning fast and I have never seen another like it. I've played many but none as easy to play as mine. I have googled the SG neck size for years and havent go a solid answer. I have heard of the "slim line" neck and just figured mine was one. I bought my SG new for $349.00.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived