Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson mandolin

Skip Lazar

I have a Gibson mandolin my god mother gave me. It was given to her in the 30's.

I think it's a Style A - I can't tell for sure because that part of the label is faded. The serial no. is 85907 and the factory number inside seems to be 9628. Attached is a photo of the instrument in its case. I have more photos with better resolution.

I want to confirm the style and then I plan on selling it. I tried teaching myself to play a few times but being left-handed and with no patience, I had no luck and my son has no interest.

post-41030-093593700 1330112572_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

I have recently inherited a Gibson mandolin and knowm nothing about it. Amy ideas? It has a round sound hole and straight "The Gibson" script at the top. "Style A" printed inside along with serial #88211 and two patent dates -- 2/1/98 and 3/30/06. I'd appreciate any more appropriate descriptions and of course, any sense of value. My thanks.

I have a Gibson mandolin my god mother gave me. It was given to her in the 30's.

I think it's a Style A - I can't tell for sure because that part of the label is faded. The serial no. is 85907 and the factory number inside seems to be 9628. Attached is a photo of the instrument in its case. I have more photos with better resolution.

I want to confirm the style and then I plan on selling it. I tried teaching myself to play a few times but being left-handed and with no patience, I had no luck and my son has no interest.

How much are you asking?

Archived