Gibson Brands Forums

Am I Alone?

junglejem

Just curious as to how many Jackson Browne owners are out there. This is really an active (and interesting) forum, but there is so little about the Jackson Browne model, I have to wonder if anyone is playing a JB. I have owned mine for about 6 months, and I am still in awe of it. Hands down the nicest instrument I've ever owned (w/apologies to my Rickenbacker 12 string). A little pricey, perhaps, but not totally out of line with many other Gibson models. I would love to hear what others think about the JB, and in what context they are using it.

I am a die-hard Martin guy, but recently sold my Les Paul (I just never got good at the electric guitar thing) and used the $ to acquire a J-45 TV. I had thoughts of just stashing the $ away and adding to it until I could buy the Jackson Browne 12 fretter with that crazy good amplification system in it. Someday I will. I'd be very interested in your impression of the Trance Audio system - I'm almost tempted to try and have one of these installed into one of the Martins I have, but just the system costs almost as much as I just paid for this J-45.

I'd be very interested in your impression of the Trance Audio system - I'm almost tempted to try and have one of these installed into one of the Martins I have, but just the system costs almost as much as I just paid for this J-45.

In the past 10 years or so, I've tried countless pickups and preamps, with some really nice guitars. I honestly feel the Trance Audio Amulet is the best acoustic amplification on the market. I had the Amulet system installed in my J-200 before I acquired the Jackson Browne. That sold me. But the Amulet in the Jackson Browne is truly a match made in Heaven. Being a stereo system, your eq options are endless, but you can accomplish a really good sound by simply adjusting the respective outputs on the low three strings versus the top three.

I would highly recommend sticking a T.A. Amulet in any of your better guitars....it isn't going to make a lousy guitar sound great. But a nice Martin would be perfect for the system, as would your J-45. Actually, I was getting ready to put an Amulet system in my Martin HD-28, but ended up selling it to help fund the Jackson Browne purchase. When I saw Jackson Browne in concert, among his 17 stage guitars was a gorgeous D-41 sunburst. All of his guitars have the Trance Audio system. The Martin was one of the best sounding instruments on stage.

Don't be fooled by Gibson's upcharge for the Amulet (roughly $1700). That makes no sense at all. You can purchase the Amulet stereo system (includes the preamp, cables, everything) for around $500, maybe slightly less. Installation should not be taken lightly...I would suggest Gryphon in Palo Alto, California if you are in the West. I don't know about the East. It would be worth shipping your guitar to a qualified installer. Installation will run $175-$200. So the entire system, installed is no more than $700.00, and that includes an audiophile preamp. You could spend that on a Baggs Anthem and Venue D.I.

Yeah, I think it is the pricey part ..... especially with the electronics. I've played one quite a bit at the dealer and it has a wonderful voice. It's not for ever style of music but, like you, I'm looking forward to adding it to the gaggle. To answer your question, you are almost alone.

My friend and I asked two local dealers if they were bringing in any JB guitars (pick up or not) and they said no! Too much money up front and the guitar may hang on the wall for a looooong time...said one, the other said they could order it for me.......lol.....I think it is just too rare a bird for most dealers.....

Yikes! I snooped around checking out the JB 12 fretter and was stunned at the $4500 and up price tag. It's the first new guitar I have ever even thought about buying, but after seeing that I became more enamored of my humble little collection, as is. If I had that kind of scratch I'd jump right on Ebay and grab one of those 30's era L00's that are up and looking in fine condition. I know, I know...I'm very predictable.

Is the JB pretty much an L00, LG2, or J45 size?

Yikes! I snooped around checking out the JB 12 fretter and was stunned at the $4500 and up price tag. It's the first new guitar I have ever even thought about buying, but after seeing that I became more enamored of my humble little collection, as is. If I had that kind of scratch I'd jump right on Ebay and grab one of those 30's era L00's that are up and looking in fine condition. I know, I know...I'm very predictable.

Is the JB pretty much an L00, LG2, or J45 size?

Size? Well it does matter and this is a Big (deep) Bodied guitar even though it is a 12 fret. Like women, I like 'en big and I like 'em small. This big un will roar at you.

Man, the Cedar Rapids GC had a use non-pup JB and I didn't get to it before the Hollywood GC called to take it from them. I literally drove there to buy it a few hours after they took it off the wall. I even made them call the Hollywood store to see if I could buy it out from under the guy who was getting it from the, but he had money down on it, so no deal.

How much were they asking for it? $2800.

<sad face>

Man, the Cedar Rapids GC had a use non-pup JB and I didn't get to it before the Hollywood GC called to take it from them. I literally drove there to buy it a few hours after they took it off the wall. I even made them call the Hollywood store to see if I could buy it out from under the guy who was getting it from the, but he had money down on it, so no deal.

How much were they asking for it? $2800.

<sad face>

That's a great deal!

I bought my Model One (no pickup) for just under $4000. Had A Trance Audio Amulet installed, added some FWI bridge pins, and now have about $4850.00 invested, with absolutely no regrets. My personal opinion is that a lot of folks are missing out on a magical guitar. But then I guess it's kinda cool being a member of such a small fraternity. I would love to know how many lefty J.B.s are out there. I thought mine was the only one, but I am now aware of at least one other.

Yes, $2800.00 is just a screaming deal, assuming the condition was right.

Would love to play one, but probably want get a chance any time. Could only rely on the few youtube vids avaiable but from those Ive hear it really sounds a lot like my AL SJ, but on steroids due to the deeper body.

Youtube vidoes are iffy at best when it comes to knowing what an acoustic guitar sounds like. The one JB I played sounded nothing like a Southern Jumbo. Very different animal. Sorry you don't have a chance to play one. I live in the third largest city in the US and have only seen one in person (at GC)! I asked at Fuller's and even they said they did not know when they would be getting one (they had one that they sold a while back).

Youtube vidoes are iffy at best when it comes to knowing what an acoustic guitar sounds like.

I agree. I have thought about doing a You Tube "review," but I'm not sure I have access to adequate audio recording equipment to truly capture what the guitar sounds like. Even the NAMM show video of Jackson Browne himself playing the guitar doesn't sound all that great. The guitar has a huge voice, with wonderful clarity from note to note. You just don't capture it with a compressed audio recording.

I would love to own one. I saw JB back in May, and it was an AWESOME show. The JB model sounded great, as well as his old Smeck models. I loved his CF100E also. I just cant afford $6000 for one guitar. I have bought my guitars in stages, over months and months of saving. But, the JB is so worth it for anyone who can plunk down that much cash at one time for a guitar. [thumbup]

Archived