Gibson Brands Forums

Lucky Star Guitars

drathbun

I just got back from a couple of days in Lethbridge Alberta (visiting my daughter at university).

There is a great vintage guitar shop there called "Lucky Star Guitars". I've been there once before a couple of years ago. They always have the most amazing instruments. It is like a guitar museum where they bring all the great old classics out and put them in your hands to play!

Here is a photo of one wall. I was too excited playing all these instruments to take more photos:

72d62160.jpg

I played an AMAZING 2003 "Original Jumbo". What a cannon! Holy Schmeck!

I'd play a guitar and talk about my guitars and the Tom would wander to the back of the shop and pull out a dusty old case and say "Oh wait 'till you see this one!"

I played a 1933 Gibson archtop - no idea of what model.

I played a 1943 LG-2 with a neck like a Louisville Slugger.

I played a 1962 Gretsch Tennessean (I was very close to buying this one)

I played a 1963 Epiphone Texan (very very tiny neck)

Then Tom put a POS Fender acoustic in my hands. I said WTF is this? He plugged it into a very unique little amp and had my play it. It had a K&K Western mini pickup system in it and this guitar sounded amazing... I mean... for a FENDER acoustic! I'm seriously thinking of replacing the Aura in my J200 with a K&K... it was THAT good.

In the photo, the archtop with the Bigsby is, I think, a '59 ES 175.

Thanks for the heads-up, Doug. I've never been to that dealer before. Last time I was in Lethbridge, we limped in with an unbalanced wheel on the truck (on a Sunday...), so needless to say, we were happy just to get some servicing the next day and off we went.

But if I happen to go through Lethbridge again sometime, I'll make a point to let the wind blow me in!

Fred

Doug,

Jeremy at Fuller's told me once that the OJ's that gibson put out in 2003 are the best ones they have ever done.

did you take any guitars home ?

he told me he has one of them at his home for personal use and it's from the 2003 run.

JC

No JC, I didn't take any home. Although that OJ was truly astonishing. When he handed it to me I thought, oh, ok, a J45, and that I wouldn't really appreciate it because I really haven't played a slope shouldered Gibson I've bonded with. However, this OJ must be a LOT deeper body than most Gibson slopes.. because this thing made you insides vibrate! A total wow! So was the price I might add.

Looks like a great shop Doug. I wished there was one like that within a reasonable distance of me.

My question is, How was the pricing? Were some of these guitars on consignment? Do they sell on Ebay also?

I think most of us would be like a kid in a candy store.... [laugh]

Archived