Gibson Brands Forums

SG special faded bridge quiet

Killing Is Heroism

The previous owner replaced the pickups with Burstbucker Pros (so I've been told) and the bridge PU is a bit quieter than the neck pu. I raised it a bit and it made a difference but I don't wanna raise it anymore. Ideas? Also it has been cutting in and out sometimes, though it hasn't happened for a couple weeks. Could my pickup be slowly dying or bad wiring? Also I've always been curious to see whether or not I have Burstbucker Pros. Since the pickups are body mounted would it be easy to pull them out to just check the bottom?

Your pickups shouldn't be body mounted. They should be affixed to the pick guard. If they are like they should be, then removing strings, pickguard screws will be easy enough. You could then see the bottom of the pickups, but you likely won't know still what they are. They probably just have GIBSON stamped in the bottom base plate. The bridge pickup in my faded SG has a little less volume as well. The cutting out sound is an electronics issue and could be as simple as a bad or dirty switch, an output jack that needs the prong bent just a little, a loose wire, or even a dirty potentiometer. Yout previous owner may suck at soldering too, and has made a cold joint that is failing. Check the easy stuff first before prodding around in there with a hot soldering iron :D

Archived