Gibson Brands Forums

Paul Kossoff LP Standard

saturn

Looks like another great guitar that I won't be able to afford and won't actually be played by the people who can afford it. Pretty much par for the course. (Gibson if you are listening I LOVE Paul Kossoff and can play the sh*t out of that guitar if you will send me one). [unsure]

I think it looks gorgeous - all except the Grovers.

Kossoff had quite a few 'bursts over the years. IMHO that's one of the prettier ones. I believe he also stripped the finish of one back to bare wood.

Priced for collectors, of course. Ah well.

P.

I may have to check one out.

I really want one.

As far as being "scratched up"? lmao.gif

The labor intensive process for these as well as other "sig" guitars is pretty intense.

Grain matching maple tops, selecting and positioning said pieces of wood takes time and money. Therefor costing more to produce.

The line has to be shut down and re tooled for these instruments so they can be constructed one at a time. (mo money)

I'm no collector, just a guy who appreciates cool stuff. And this model is cool stuff.

For those of you who are interested in this kind of thing here's a nice slide-show of snaps which show Koss with several of his Lesters (and with "Mr Big" running in the b/g to entertain us!).

There's quite a good pic of the one which has been re-created by the Custom Shop at about the 4:30 mark. They seem to have done a very good job...

Enjoy!

P.

I can't believe the b****it surrounding these type of guitars. They are just a Les Paul with scratches.

I've said before. If you sat with your eyes closed and were passed a selection of them, ie, a traditional,a Billy Gibbons, this one and a Don Felder you'd not tell the difference if they were set up properly. The only Reason for buying one is if you were a fan. All these models that are based on a 59 is getting a joke now.

There'll be a Bonamassa 58/59/60 run soon because he's got them. Far too expensive for what they are.

I read on MLP that R9s are not in the Gibson catalog for 2012, mind you I did not keep up with the thread but I think R9's now are going to be sig models.

Frankly you may say whatever you want and yes the price is high but Historics are pretty nice guitars, I have 3 Gibson USA and my R8 feels and plays a lot nicer.

For those of you NOT gassing for this guitar that's sweet you just saved a bunch of money.

Have any of the bashers here actually played one?

I've never played one of the aged signatures. I would love to own one but don't expect I ever will. If I were to buy one, it would not be the aged or signed versions. That seems a little silly to me. I can appreciate the guitar and get a picture of the real thing being played by the guy whose music made me like it in the first place. Think Peter Green, Duane Allman, Mike Bloomfield, Dickey Betts. The Clapton version they did last year, while probably a monster axe, is ridiculous. At least with these others Gibson had the actual guitar to copy. Clapton's guitar had been lost for 45 years and done from pictures and memory.

Archived