Gibson Brands Forums

Working Man Blues

Namvet

Thnx. Comments like this make me want to try a little harder. Eventually I might get through one without messing up.

Don't worry about messing up. The ones who don't try are the ones messing up.

I posted a couple of links a while ago of me playing along with a Gary Moore CD and some Neil Young. I know darn well it wasn't my best showing but it was the first time I tried recording myself. I felt a little embarassed at first but so what. I tried. Next time will be much better.

Keep on keeping on.

Dave

Don't worry about messing up. The ones who don't try are the ones messing up.

I posted a couple of links a while ago of me playing along with a Gary Moore CD and some Neil Young. I know darn well it wasn't my best showing but it was the first time I tried recording myself. I felt a little embarassed at first but so what. I tried. Next time will be much better.

Keep on keeping on.

Dave

Yeah, I'm new at trying to record myself also. Guess its trying too hard. This one I was kinda making it up as I went along (can't ever seem to be able to do the same thing twice in a row)and like you I get a bit embarrassed knowing I didn't get it like I wanted even if no one else catches it. Thanks again for the support

Recording yourself is always worthwhile, but the pressure of knowing that you're recording can throw off even very experienced players, and can be crippling when starting off. When I had a small studio in the 90's , I would ask the lead player to “rehearse the solo to the track a couple of times” and surreptitiously record the “rehearsal.” 50% of the time, the player would get it just right when they thought it wasn’t being recorded, but choke when the red light came on.

Thnx. Comments like this make me want to try a little harder. Eventually I might get through one without messing up.

Don't worry about muck-ups. Jimmy Page is the first to admit his playing is sloppy - but does it really matter? He's still one of the all-time greats.

FWIW I've been trying to get through without messing up somewhere along the line for about 35 years and I'm still living in hope!

Well done!

[thumbup]

P.

well, I think that although you need to keep practising (as do we all), you have a great tone and most importantly you clearly put some thought into it. Too many people mince about at random on some scale or other, but don't think about forming a clear distinguishable melody.

good work [thumbup]

Nice melody. Interesting how you pick all the notes with your thumb.

Its the only way I can. My right hand was destroyed at one time (they had actually talked about cutting it off at the wrist) and my thumb doesn't move and the fingers I have left don't move much. Have been learning to pick with forearm action since for all intents and purposes thats all I can do. Can't use a flat pick so thumb pick it is.

Its the only way I can. My right hand was destroyed at one time (they had actually talked about cutting it off at the wrist) and my thumb doesn't move and the fingers I have left don't move much. Have been learning to pick with forearm action since for all intents and purposes thats all I can do. Can't use a flat pick so thumb pick it is.

Wow, that's dedication. I just thought maybe you originally learned finger picking and were adapting your lead playing from that. Keep up the good work. [thumbup]

Wow, that's dedication. I just thought maybe you originally learned finger picking and were adapting your lead playing from that. Keep up the good work. [thumbup]

Thnx. Never could finger pick, not co-ordinated enough. Right arm was in a cast for 13 months with pins & wires sticking out my fingers, learned to tie shoes with one hand. Get bull headed sometimes when I want to do something.

Archived