Gibson Brands Forums

What do you wear on stage

brannon67

I know this is a stupid question, so sue me, but I was wondering, what do you guys wear on stage, when you gig out, etc. What is your style? Jeans t's, suits, hats, caps, fedoras,boots, tennis shoes,dress shoes, whatever? Just curious. Got to make sure you compliment your Gibson.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stage attire should most times set you apart from the rest of the house......visual appearance is part of stage presence. I have a selection of embroidered cowboy shirts, from mild to wild. A nice shirt with jeans and boots, sometimes a straw or felt hat. Here in Texas it's sometimes not easy to outdo the clientele though....fancy shirts & boots are generally the order of the day for honky tonkin' down here.

We would sometimes get in the mood and all wear something like orange waiter's jackets. Generally though just what I had on - jeans, Converse high tops, and an untucked loose fitting shirt. I also did have a thing for vests and did sometimes wear my grandfather's 1930s Stetson fedora.

The one thing I never wore was shorts.

We would sometimes get in the mood and all wear something like orange waiter's jackets. Generally though just what I had on - jeans, Converse high tops, and an untucked loose fitting shirt. I also did have a thing for vests and did sometimes wear my grandfather's 1930s Stetson fedora.

The one thing I never wore was shorts.

Yeah I NEVER where shorts, partially because I have fish belly white bird legs AND it just doesn't seem right. Usually jeans and tee shirt(although not the "Rorer 714") sometimes a hat. I guess I try to look like I'm very casual about it and just put on whatever was laying around at the moment(but in actuality I thought it out a week in advance [rolleyes] )

I just wear something comfortable most of the time. Sometimes blue jeans, and a long sleeve western style shirt, or mayby a Tshirt(crew and V neck) and sometimes a fedora, or ball cap. As for footwear, mayby a pair of DOC Marten boots, or sometimes sandles(flips). Sometimes I will throw on a pair of casual dress shoes with jeans.

I just wear something comfortable most of the time. Sometimes blue jeans, and a long sleeve western style shirt, or mayby a Tshirt(crew and V neck) and sometimes a fedora, or ball cap. As for footwear, mayby a pair of DOC Marten boots, or sometimes sandles(flips). Sometimes I wil throw on a pair of casual dress soes with jeans.

Sounds like you just wear anything at hand, sort of like going to the grocery store.... [biggrin]

What I'd really like to see is photos of some of the people I know here in their stage get-up from the 60's and 70's. (We've had a bit of this here before)

I'm thinking in particular of a certain Mr. Birdwell of Peter Wheat and the Breadmen, plus a whole bunch of folkers/rockers here from the 60's through the 80's.

You know who you are, from a variety of countries......

Fortunately, the pictures of me in full hippy trippy-folk/rock uniform from the 60's and early 70's have mysteriously disappeared.....

We were big into flowered or beaded shirts, bell-bottoms of all varieties, leather and sheepskin vests, funky hats (I wore my dad's old green felt German hunting hat). And boots of course. All kinds of boots.

Thank God no one has pictures of me from those days anymore--except maybe my ex-wife, who might try to blackmail me. It would probably cost me my job.!

Fortunately, the pictures of me in full hippy trippy-folk/rock uniform from the 60's and early 70's have mysteriously disappeared.....

We were big into flowered or beaded shirts, bell-bottoms of all varieties, leather and sheepskin vests, funky hats (I wore my dad's old green felt German hunting hat). And boots of course. All kinds of boots.

Thank God no one has pictures of me from those days anymore--except maybe my ex-wife, who might try to blackmail me. It would probably cost me my job.!

Fortunately, , , !?!?

Apart from a re-glimpse of Danvills golden boots, those frames of vintage real-life phychedelia are on my absolute top-5 wish-list this spring.

I sincerely encourage you to dig the pictures up -

No kiddin'. . .

I'm not good enough to play out but I have a small stage built into my music room in my basement. I often wear pyjamas and bunny slippers! [biggrin] If I was good enuf to play out I'd wear jeans and a black shirt (black is slimming)

Glad to see you back, GG, but I don't believe OWF will be happy to hear you have stolen his best outfit! (That go with his nails).

BluesKing777.

I think Jack Black says it the best: "...gig time, what T-shirt am I gonna wear?"

T-shirt is rock and roll because any nice dress shirts look fantastic after being in a ball in a bag, or worse, in guitar case!

Though I do own this black no-iron nylon shirt that could possibly outlive humanity.

BluesKing777.

I'm not good enough to play out but I have a small stage built into my music room in my basement. I often wear pyjamas and bunny slippers! [biggrin] If I was good enuf to play out I'd wear jeans and a black shirt (black is slimming)

I suspect if you wore your jammies with bunny slippers on stage, you'd be a hit!

I'm not posting the same ol' photos.... but here's one I only posted once before when Anne suggested I wear an apron to prevent belt rash on the backs of my guitars.

this newspaper clipping was found among my grandmother's stuff.... she died about 20 years ago, but my sister only found the scrapbook a couple of months ago.

PWBMEarlyPhoto.jpg

I suspect if you wore your jammies with bunny slippers on stage, you'd be a hit!

I'm not posting the same ol' photos.... but here's one I only posted once before when Anne suggested I wear an apron to prevent belt rash on the backs of my guitars.

this newspaper clipping was found among my grandmother's stuff.... she died about 20 years ago, but my sister only found the scrapbook a couple of months ago.

And, going on 50 years later, you've still got your face in front of a mic!

But, but, what happened to all the hair??????

God bless you, Bob!!!!

As long as we're on the down memory lane look at stage attire, here's me from 1967, circa the Mississippi Folk Festival.

Still uncertain as to the direction ahead, I'm still wearing my California surfer windbreaker at this stage. But Ricky Nelson and the Beach Boys are soon going to lose out to Bob Dylan on the rapid voyage towards folk/rock/blues just a few years later...

Note the uncut, coiled up strings on the peghead. You could impale your cigarette on one of the string ends while you played. (This was in the very short period when I smoked, thinking it was cool for a folkie.)

Also note that I'm using both a thumbpick and fingerpicks. Guess I could play that way back then......

1967.jpg

Archived