Gibson Brands Forums

A real hum-dinger on ebay

RobinTheHood

Rastus, I realize you don't know me, but you impress me as a person with a "rich" sense of humor (obviously several others here with like tastes?), anyway.. I wanted to place a bid on the Really Crap guitar, with a note which explained that I didn't expect to actually come get the guitar, but that that the owner used any proceeds to help buy a better guitar and resume trying to learn how to play guitar (tambourine, really?!).

IF you would be so kind as to place a bid higher than the $10AU opening bid, and a request that the seller provide a statement (in the ad, or the Ask a Question Box) similar to "this is to help you to pursue learning guitar playing" or similar meaning.. I'd be glad to reimburse you.

It may sound like a goofy request (no, it is) but I was going to place a bid and wasn't able to without registering with eBay/AU, which probably won't be accepted or other problem, so I ask.

I normally wouldn't make a donation type request/gift public, but imagined that it might actually inspire others to join in (maybe a bit unrealistic, but who knows?).. I'm not looking for any recognition, just thought it would be a nice gesture.

I just looked back at the auction and it has a bid now, but if you're up for a little fun? at my expense, please proceed.

Thanks,

Bill

How's this listing for honesty Oz style, LOL.

eBay Listing

It may sound like a goofy request (no, it is) but I was going to place a bid and wasn't able to without registering with eBay/AU, which probably won't be accepted or other problem, so I ask.

You should be able to logon to eBayAU with your current eBay credentials Bill, I know I can logon to any eBay site worldwide (UK, US, DE, JP etc) with my eBayAU credentials. If you're unable to do this I'll gladly do it for you but I fear you'd just be throwing good money after bad.

I had tried to place bids with several attempts, I've been doing international bids for many years.. but the AU Really Crap Guitar auction didn't work (apparently because s/he's only offering local pickup, not international bidding/shipping, my guess).

I don't see how rewarding honesty could be considered throwing money away.

I don't want the guitar and I don't want to entrap someone as a joke. I have PayPal and MoneyGram accounts, and don't mind reimbursing anyone for a modest bid whether or not it's a winning bid.. maybe I was unclear about the humor aspect.

Nevermind.. but if someone else would be willing to grant my gesture of generosity, please contact me by email and/or PM.. there are about 2 days left for the auction.. and don't mind making a MUF CIA payment money-up-front cash in advance.

Bill

You should be able to logon to eBayAU with your current eBay credentials Bill, I know I can logon to any eBay site worldwide (UK, US, DE, JP etc) with my eBayAU credentials. If you're unable to do this I'll gladly do it for you but I fear you'd just be throwing good money after bad.

I had tried to place bids with several attempts, I've been doing international bids for many years.. but the AU Really Crap Guitar auction didn't work (apparently because s/he's only offering local pickup, not international bidding/shipping, my guess).

I don't see how rewarding honesty could be considered throwing money away.

I don't want the guitar and I don't want to entrap someone as a joke. I have PayPal and MoneyGram accounts, and don't mind reimbursing anyone for a modest bid whether or not it's a winning bid.. maybe I was unclear about the humor aspect.

Nevermind.. but if someone else would be willing to grant my gesture of generosity, please contact me by email and/or PM.. there are about 2 days left for the auction.. and don't mind making a MUF CIA payment money-up-front cash in advance.

Bill

That would be the reason you couldn't place your bid I suspect Bill, the item being a local pick-up, I didn't even think about that.

What I meant by throwing good money after bad was I suspect this person will end up selling the guitar again anyway and they will never take up the offer to improve their skills, as good as your intentions are.

I'm quite happy to do it for you mate, that's not a problem at all, do you have a high bid in mind ?

Thank you very much.. I've sent you a PM. How much? As the Brits are fond of saying (or at least Michael Caine has repeated it many times) Well, that would be tellin', now, wouldn't it?

I've been around long enuff (No.. not now, Hey! I'm tryin' to write here), to know that I have no control and very little influence over others' actions (nor would I desire to).

When we share experiences with others here about guitar repair methods etc, they are free to and will do, what they please.

I once had a an online acquaintance from Australia ask me if I would mind doing some work on a radio belonging to a friend of his living in the US.. so we all communicated and got the modification completed, gratis.. no customs issues or fees, just friendly help.

The interwebnets hold a great many positive opportunities for folks to participate in collectively.. it's essentially a smaller world that we live in.

Regards,

Bill

That would be the reason you couldn't place your bid I suspect Bill, the item being a local pick-up, I didn't even think about that.

What I meant by throwing good money after bad was I suspect this person will end up selling the guitar again anyway and they will never take up the offer to improve their skills, as good as your intentions are.

I'm quite happy to do it for you mate, that's not a problem at all, do you have a high bid in mind ?

Thank you very much.. I've sent you a PM. How much? As the Brits are fond of saying (or at least Michael Caine has repeated it many times) Well, that would be tellin', now, wouldn't it?

I've been around long enuff (No.. not now, Hey! I'm tryin' to write here), to know that I have no control and very little influence over others' actions (nor would I desire to).

When we share experiences with others here about guitar repair methods etc, they are free to and will do, what they please.

I once had a an online acquaintance from Australia ask me if I would mind doing some work on a radio belonging to a friend of his living in the US.. so we all communicated and got the modification completed, gratis.. no customs issues or fees, just friendly help.

The interwebnets hold a great many positive opportunities for folks to participate in collectively.. it's essentially a smaller world that we live in.

Regards,

Bill

Got your PM Bill, replying to it now.

Archived