Gibson Brands Forums

advice please!!

barton8367

Hi all,

Im looking for some help off all you wise people!!

Im looking for a new guitar, a step up from my epiphone but not right the way upto gibsons as yet!

Looking at one of these:

http://products.guildguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=3830106821

what do people think would be a decent mid range dreadnought, preferably with a cutaway. looking to spend around £600 or $1000!

cheers

chris

Hi all,

Im looking for some help off all you wise people!!

Im looking for a new guitar, a step up from my epiphone but not right the way upto gibsons as yet!

Looking at one of these:

http://products.guildguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=3830106821

what do people think would be a decent mid range dreadnought, preferably with a cutaway. looking to spend around £600 or $1000!

cheers

chris

I bought a Taylor 210CE for around that price new this year. It is a full sized dread with a cutaway. Has a nice pickup and is a wonderful guitar to play and hear.

I imagine the price might be a little higher in the UK, but used might be right up your alley price wise.

Dave

Upgrading from an Epi, I would stay away from the bolt on neck of the Guild AD-3CD. Go with a set neck. But I'm not sure your budget will put you a step up from a nice Epi.

I'm in the US, I'm thinking in that price range in the UK - take a better look at the Guilds, and also Takamine or Yamaha.

The Guild looks really nice

And that 'archback' sounds interesting

It's a respected name...

Otherwise Yamaha floats my boat...I've had a 12 string for 20 years and it has aged beautifully....

Also Eastman make top quality acoustic archtops and flat tops....

V

:-({|=

I recommend not going to a laminated wood guitar, the Guild your looking at has a real top but the back and side's are not solid, but laminated wood. I'm sure it's not a bad guitar but look into a better Epiphone, my $350.00 (new) Texan is all solid wood and I would only give it up for a really nice Gibson or an older Martin.

Yamaha makes good motor cycle's and Taylor steam age's there wood and use's bolt on neck's. Blueridge is not a bad guitar but I really would not buy anything but a Gibson and no Martin's made after the mid 1980's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FppaqaILY5Y&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XmQYHAbaLE

thanks guys,

lots to take in there. i would love a taylor but i would be looking for a 110 because a 200 series is out of my price range!

used gibson would be pushing it as over here they are like gold dust!

epi texan may be worth looking at but i fancied something different as i have 2 epis at the moment

I bought a Taylor 210CE for around that price new this year. It is a full sized dread with a cutaway. Has a nice pickup and is a wonderful guitar to play and hear.

I imagine the price might be a little higher in the UK, but used might be right up your alley price wise.

Dave

That's the first positive thing I've heard about Taylors on this forum

Choosing a good guitar for your needs is such a personal thing to do..there are such a huge plethora of brands, building all shapes and sizes of guitars at all different levels of workmanship and price. your best bet is to go out and play as many as you possibly can.

I have had good experiences with Epiphone, Aria, Yamaha, seagull, Vintage brand, Neligan, and some others that escape my mind right now.

here is a good example of a nice affordable guitar from seagull.

seagull link

That's the first positive thing I've heard about Taylors on this forum

I know. I don't get it.

I tried many much more expensive guitars before choosing my Taylor and they just didn't do it for me. Gibson, Martin, Breedlove etc.

Its all a matter of personal preference I guess. I was originally gearing towards a Gibson Songwriter because I love my Gibson electrics but didn't find one that spoke to me. Maybe just the selection I tried.

Time will tell how the Taylor holds up but I'm optimistic.

Dave

I have no experience with Guilds.

The Epiphone Masterbilt series guitars are up scale versions of run-of-the-mill Epiphones. Upscale as in solid woods and fancier accoutrements. These are priced between chinese built Epiphones and Gibsons. Indeed, some are a bit more money than the least expensive Gibsons. Masterbilts, I believe, are made in Bozeman.

so then whos had experience with a masterbilt? i dont really know a great deal about them!

I think the Masterbilt instruments are well-crafted, but I didn't like the sounds of the ones I played. I was shopping in your price range (actually a little lower) a few years ago. I played lower end Martins, Taylors, Guilds, and a few Epi Masterbilts and was not impressed by any of them. The Chinese-built Blueridge's (BR 160 and BG 160) I played slayed all of them for tone and volume. Ultimately, instead of the Blueridge, I bought a used Gibson (CL-10) for $610 off eBay and couldn't be happier. I think if you are patient you should be able to find a nice used Gibby in your price range.

Archived