Gibson Brands Forums

jmp marshall 2204 1982model

sellen

selling it so i made my first and last recording with it. I have way to much gear [biggrin]

A little bit of reverb and clean boost on solo, with guitar pro drums and a attenuator so i don't bother my neighbors :unsure: . Both tracks with my Angus signature sg. Nothin' perfect, and it got a bit bright but if anyone wanna here an old jmp 2204 with a Gibson custom sg Angus signature give it a shot :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mAr_ifZwVU

Thank's guitarist :) Hearing it again i hear the tone could be more fat and maybe the guitar was slightly out of tune. But it's only Rock"n"roll [laugh]

Krock - Angus don't use any pedal, he use the guitar volume for solo's and i guess his sound man do some adjustment for eq and volume on the soundboard during a concert

Sounds just like it. What were the cab/speakers? EL34 or 6550?

Your to kind, thank's :)

Cab- Used my dsl 401 combo speaker, it has currently a celetion classic lead 90 speaker, not really a perfect AC-DC match but it's good speaker. But this head does sound better in my 1936v cabinet with 2 vintage 30 speakers. But for home use that's just to much, so i have that cabinet placed where our hobby band play

tubes are jj- el 34

Your to kind, thank's :)

Cab- Used my dsl 401 combo speaker, it has currently a celetion classic lead 90 speaker, not really a perfect AC-DC match but it's good speaker. But this head does sound better in my 1936v cabinet with 2 vintage 30 speakers. But for home use that's just to much, so i have that cabinet placed where our hobby band play

tubes are jj- el 34

Cool. The best AC/DC cab IMHO would be a late 70s 1960B with Celestion G-12 65 speakers.

Cool. The best AC/DC cab IMHO would be a late 70s 1960B with Celestion G-12 65 speakers.

would love to try that

I had a bit of gas for the wizard amp AC-DC used for the black ice tour, but 4500$ cured that gas [biggrin] . They did use Marshall cabs with the wizard amp

I have a 1983 JCM 800 2204 model with 2 4-12 cabinets and it's just an incredible amp.Whenever I've brought it in for new tubes and rebiasing the people in the shops go ape over it and several have said that it's the best Marshall they ever heard-I don't know about that but it's the best 2204 that I've heard.The beauty of the 2204s is that you can get real nice saturated distortion without having to turn it up to rock shattering volumes like its 100W counterpart the 2203.Where I do a lot of Hendrix covers this amp handles the job with aplomb.If I were handy to your area I would most likely give your amp serious consideration.You should have no problem selling it as it's one of Marshall's best 50W amps and certainly the most versatile.

I have a 1983 JCM 800 2204 model with 2 4-12 cabinets and it's just an incredible amp.Whenever I've brought it in for new tubes and rebiasing the people in the shops go ape over it and several have said that it's the best Marshall they ever heard-I don't know about that but it's the best 2204 that I've heard.The beauty of the 2204s is that you can get real nice saturated distortion without having to turn it up to rock shattering volumes like its 100W counterpart the 2203.Where I do a lot of Hendrix covers this amp handles the job with aplomb.If I were handy to your area I would most likely give your amp serious consideration.You should have no problem selling it as it's one of Marshall's best 50W amps and certainly the most versatile.

Lucky bastard! Very good 800s are a godsend. There is a lot of bad ones (not just 800s. ALL Marshalls!) but a very good one like your 2204 is very hard to beat. Awesome rhythm sound I bet. And with a Tube Screamer or some other overdrive box I bet it is an angelic lead tone! For a couple of gigs I borrowed a friend's (not telling his name, but he is giving my Strat a set up right now) early 80s Ampeg V7 100 watter, which is very similar to a 2203. The first gig I did with it, I used a Tube Screamer with it at all times (I wasn't ready for an amp that honest), but the second gig had no dirt boxes whatsoever and I fell in love with that Marshally grind. I still think my favorite Marshall of all time is the Silver Jubilee though. I bet with both bottoms the air being pushed blows smoke up your *** and flaps those bell bottoms! BTW, what kind of speakers are they?

My 4X12 is a pre JCM 800 and I have old greenbacks in her; I love the tone that comes out of that cab no matter what amp is connected to it.

NICE!!! Probably is well-used and broken in. And the more a cab is played the more transparent they get. I bet those old Greenbacks rock! Are they the Rola ones from the late 70s/early 80s?

I threw them in around the mid to late 80's unsure of actual time. They have been in the cab since the late 80's. For sure they are well used, loads of shows, practice and just jamming on the cab. Up until this past 6 years of so I have been using the 2X12 more, it has old EV12M's in it. A buddy of mine who used to work in the Ovation Custom Shop made the cab for me; amazing cab. Actually feels like it weighs as much as a 4X12 and appears to get better bass response.

Those EV speakers are very heavy and very dark and low end-y. Big part of the Joe Bonamassa tone. There is no way he could ever get a tone like his out of Greenbacks, or even V-30s, as well as other Celestion speakers. That's also part of the original Mesa Boogie magic: They used to put EVs and JBLs in their cabs and combos up through the early 90s.

I did not know that; I really like that 2X12. When I fold the rear seats down in the mustang the 2X12 rolls right up and fits nicely on top of the back seats.

I'll always prefer the thump and the utter coolness of a closed back 4x12 (I guess I'm just a purist) but a good 2x12 is nice every now and then. But it's always nice to have options. That's one of the good things about the guitar. AND WE CAN ADOPT! LOL!!! Concerning the EV speakers, Mesa would have never got that Mark IIB/IIC plus sounds with G-12 70s (the normal Celstion at the time I suppose). You learn something new everyday! What year is your Mustang? In all earnest, I am more of a Chevy dude (comes from upbringing LOL. My dream car is a 68' Camaro in metallic blue with white stripes but I am always one for a good Mustang or Fairlane). I LOVE CHARGERS TOO!!!!

@ Kaleb: My Marshall cabs are loaded with different Celestion speakers. My JCM 800 1960 B cab is loaded wwith G-12-L-25s while the other cab is an MG-12 slant front with the Non British made Celestions-they don't have the bottom as the L-25s but bring out the mids and highs nicely to compliment the bassiness of the 1960 B cab.I hope that some day down the road I can get a proper JCM 800 1960 A cab with either the L-25s or G-12-H-75s.

Guess i'm keeping it after all. Had put it away for a while, but it was fun playing whit it again. And it's cool to have a amp that's closing in to be a vintage gear, i might regret selling it. Was tweaking a bit with the set-up today trying to find a good rock sound to some of our hobby band simple style rock stuff. Here's a little sample of that stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o4oxdVYWqE

Vintage 2204 heads are going for anywhere between $1,200 and $2,000 depending on the year,condition and model.Mine is the desirable one made for Canadian markets.The Canadian model has several differences,the most obvious being metal toggle switches for on/off and standby and different tubes than U.S. models,the schematics are somewhat different owing to the difference in the tubes.Re the tubes:I'm not well versed on these differences but a technician I know who specializes in vintage amps-especially Fender,Vox and Marshall told me long ago the differences but as it is when people start reciting tube values etc. to me,it went in one ear and out the other.

Guess i'm keeping it after all. Had put it away for a while, but it was fun playing whit it again. And it's cool to have a amp that's closing in to be a vintage gear, i might regret selling it. Was tweaking a bit with the set-up today trying to find a good rock sound to some of our hobby band simple style rock stuff. Here's a little sample of that stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o4oxdVYWqE

Are you using a phaser on that or a wah? Could have sworn it was a Phase 90 or Small Stone, but one time you posted that all you have is just a Cry Baby and that kinda sounds like a slow wah.

Are you using a phaser on that or a wah? Could have sworn it was a Phase 90 or Small Stone, but one time you posted that all you have is just a Cry Baby and that kinda sounds like a slow wah.

Use Mad Professor Tiny orange phaser. When i bought it i wanted the one with the warmest sound, tested 4-5 phaser pedals and this was the one with the warmest sound. I'm not really a effect man but i do like a touch of reverb and phaser. For reverb i currently use Electro harmonix Holy grail, it's good but i fell it can be better. Any one got a good reverb pedals they can reckomend

That second video you posted sounds absolutely fantastic, such a familiar yet ever welcoming tone!

as they say, '' Marshall - the sound of rock ''

Thank's man :) Marshall + Gibson is the coolest combo in rock history.

Vintage 2204 heads are going for anywhere between $1,200 and $2,000 depending on the year,condition and model.Mine is the desirable one made for Canadian markets.The Canadian model has several differences,the most obvious being metal toggle switches for on/off and standby and different tubes than U.S. models,the schematics are somewhat different owing to the difference in the tubes.Re the tubes:I'm not well versed on these differences but a technician I know who specializes in vintage amps-especially Fender,Vox and Marshall told me long ago the differences but as it is when people start reciting tube values etc. to me,it went in one ear and out the other.

I think the Canadian is the same as the European, and the difference is the EL-34 for the power tubes as opposed to the 6550 for the American ones. The schematic is the same, just component values to be able to bias it up properly for the 6550.

Besides that, another thing that makes some more desirable is the vertical input ones, or what they call "hand wired". It does not mean they don't have printed circuit boards, but rather the pots and inputs are on the chassis and wired to the board.

I don't know if it matters, but there was a time when the single channel ones were more desirable, mainly because the lead channel used a transistor, or a SS devise for the distortion. I don't know if it matters, because the non-lead channel is the same for both. And the 2 channel ones where the first Marshalls to have channel switching, so maybe that is cool too.

NOTHING gets that screaming metal sound like a cranked JCM800.

You're right about the EL-34s,they put a completely different complexion on the tone and give it a markedly British flavour.Mine just has the two vertical inputs.Last year an amp tech and collector offered me two blackface Fender Super Reverbs in trade for it,one a '65 and the other a '66 I almost went for it and told him to give me a day to think about it.He called me back the next day and said that he couldn't do it because my Marshall,because of the model,was more valuable than both the Fenders combined.At least he was being honest.

Archived