Gibson Brands Forums

Which guitar?

Work in Progress

I've got major GAS. I think I've settled on another electric. Another option would be to buy a guitar body (mahogany with maple cap, not veneer) and neck (mahogany with rosewood fretboard,with markers and frets pre-installed) for a fraction of the cost of a new guitar. The snag with that option is I have ZERO woodworking skills/experience.

If you had about $3,000 to spend (and couldn't justify buying two of the "cheaper" guitars from the list) which guitar would you like to add to your collection?

I stopped short of suggesting a s/h R8 after I looked at your list...

I'd take one of these; $2,300 is Gibson's price so when they get 'street-price' they must be a bargain!

Firebird.jpg

You'll get the slightly different sound from the mini's to complement what you already have.

I really like the Midtown Custom but that would be even more full-size humbuckers.

Perhaps both would be less than $3,000?

P.

I know what I would pick; here's a suggestion go to a store and actually sit down and play a few of these. In fact dont just fall into the Gibson only GAS; loads of other companies out there and all of them make great guitars from the 1500 price point and above.

I've played them. Like them all. I just can't decide now [biggrin] . I guess my problems could be worse!

Looking at your gear list I'd say you need an SG and an archtop.

I suggest you sell your Epi LP (as you already have a Gibby LP) and then get the SG and one of the archtops so you can keep your numbers balanced.

Other - R8 or Custom VOS.

Definitely have considered it.

Looking at your gear list I'd say you need an SG and an archtop.

I suggest you sell your Epi LP (as you already have a Gibby LP) and then get the SG and one of the archtops so you can keep your numbers balanced.

Eh, selling guitars isn't a necessity. Plus it was my first guitar so there's a sentimental value. Worth more to me than the $200-300 I'd get for it.

Eh, I got news today from my boss what my bonus would be. So it's not completely out of the question, but I'm trying to save some of it. O:)

With respect the R8...

I can only speak from personal experience but I've found that, despite the scepticism of the 'nay-sayers', good Historics really are worth the price premium.

I understand your attachment to your Epi. Keep it.

$3,000 could get a truly wonderful '58 re-issue.

P.

I voted Firebird even though the PRS was tempting.I have an Epi Custom Shop Sunburst Firebird V and it sounds just like a mid 60s SG.I'd love to have a proper Gibson Firebird VII in Cardinal Red with 3 mini-hums and a Vibrola,I'd settle for a sunburst though.

Archived