Gibson Brands Forums

Is This Legit?

jckid649

Been looking around at Epiphone J-200's and came across the small produced J-300's. Since I now am convinced they are a legitimate guitar that Epiphone produced my next question is: Did they ever make them with plain pickguards like the one in this picture or do you think it's a fake?

post-41155-092638600 1330461074_thumb.jpg

The inlays look a little weird, the TRC should say EJ in script or a vertical gibson in all caps, and i've never come across one without the flowers on the pickguard. all in all i'd say avoid it. the EJ200s coming out now apparently are a solid top. The 300s were known to have huge gaps in quality and honestly the indonesian stuff coming out now is pretty stellar.

Could be legit. I think the artwork is just silkscreened or printed, not engraved. Might have worn off, or he may have removed it on purpose, maybe a bit of both.

If so, one should hold the guitar to an oblique light and may be able to pick out a shadow of the once applied silk-screen art work, unless the remover buffed it to a fine polish.

I can't quite make it out from the photo, but is the serial number printed on a sticker that has been placed on the soundhole label? If so, that's sign that the guitar was bought and later sold by a refurbishment center. The original serial numbers on refurbed guitars are covered up to avoid warranty claims, and they are assigned a new number by the refurb center. That might account for the new pickguard. They might have replaced it as part of whatever repair they did. It's even possible that replacing the original pickguard (if it were misprinted or damaged) is all they did.

Red 333

Just checked my EJ200 and the pickguard is definitely not engraved so could well be either screen printed or laminate.

To be honest, unless it was really cheap (taking into account the variability of quality found in the EJ300 production) or plays like a dream and really sings to you, I'd walk away and buy an EJ200 which now is also a solid top.

Pickguard could be refurb,or is the guitar an"artist"model?

Or even an EJ200 Artist which has been mis-described by the seller (they assumed it was a 300 because of the solid top)

EDIT *** Ignore what I said above as Artist models don't have the 'moustache' bridge so couldn't be that unless someone went to the trouble and expense of retro fitting one. ***

Archived