Gibson Brands Forums

Recording ES-335 jazz guitar?

willdguitar

So I'm looking around for a dynamic mic and a condenser mic for my home studio to get a tone like Pat Martino's or George Benson's.

My tone unmiced is great, but when recording through my crappy audio technica m4000S, the tone is absolutely butchered.

What mics will give me a great jazz tone/the closest tone to what I hear?

I've looked into a Shure SM57, Audix i5, and Sennheiser 421 for dynamics, and multiple Audio Technica condenser mics.

Any suggestions?

P.S I'm looking to keep the overall price <= $500.

Thanks much!

Personal 0.02 would be to book a session at a studio with an engineer

There is more to getting a good recorded sound than just mic choice

Just a short session at small cost can be a huge learning experience

Some musicians DI into their PC software with all fx and amp/speaker simulators in the digital domain...

V

:-({|=

Regardless of style, if you want the tone to be the closest to what you hear, you could try putting one or two mics where your ears are. You can put an SM57 in close to the cab and mix a bit of that in if you want but I've been using the "mics where your ears are" method for years and it works for me. I use a pair of very old Sennheiser omni directional mics for this (because omni's work like your ears do) but they're no longer made. You do need a fairly quiet room though.

PS. You don't have to sit/stand between the mics when you're recording. Just find that sweet spot in the room where the tone is best, put the mic(s) there and go play somewhere else in the room. Try it with the mic you have now, if it doesn't work for you you've lost nothing except a few minutes.

Oh, and if you want a pair of condensers that will put a smile on your face for the price/quality ratio try out the MXL 990/991 double mic pack. I don't know how they can make them for the stupid low price and how they can sell them for it is a mystery only known to them.

Archived