Gibson Brands Forums

String choice

picker54

I have a new LP Classic and I want to change to my normal strings I like to use which are the Slinky SkinnyTop HeavyBottoms. Anyone see a problem with using this string. I like these strings because I am a little heavy handed on making chords from years of playing Martin Guitars. What about a pure set of 11's. You think the structural integrity if the neck will support 11's? I have not had a set up done because I have been pretty content with playability, sound and tuning issues. Let me hear some feedback.

I have a new LP Classic and I want to change to my normal strings I like to use which are the Slinky SkinnyTop HeavyBottoms. Anyone see a problem with using this string. I like these strings because I am a little heavy handed on making chords from years of playing Martin Guitars. What about a pure set of 11's. You think the structural integrity if the neck will support 11's? I have not had a set up done because I have been pretty content with playability, sound and tuning issues. Let me hear some feedback.

The neck will support (almost) any guage strings........The standard cutting/slotting for Gibby LP nuts is for 9 or 10 guage strings ( I don't remember which ).....

The only problem you should encounter is the higher guage strings binding in the nut, which can be fixed by carefully making proper adjustments......

Perhaps you'll need to adjust the neck relief, probably not.....If need be, you may want to replace the nut with a Graphtech TUSQ XL nut.......

Theres a start to a discussion for you..........

• 3 weeks later...

I use 12-52 on my Les Paul Custom, and on my L5 (and on my Gretsches and Strat for that matter). The only issue is that you have to have the nut reslotted for these. But the tension is fine.

DW

I have been using Slinky Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms on my Les Paul for a while now. I was worried that the bass side strings would bind in the nut but it's not been an issue yet.

Archived