Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone do a MONKEY'S song in their play list?

onewilyfool

With the recent passing of Davey of Monkey fame....I was wondering if anyone actually plays a Monkey's song in their play set ?????

We do "Daydream Believer" on occasion. I think the last time was when John Stewart, its author, passed. Maybe we'll drag it out again tomorrow night.

-- Bob R

Back in the 60's, and just taking beginner lessons, I bought the sheet music for "Last Train to Clarksville". It was too tough to decipher at the time. When I did start to get profficient.....I had lost interest in THAT song.

So the answer is no. At any rate ...Davey Jones RIP. Man, he died young!

Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart wrote "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone ~1966. Paul Revere & the Raiders did my favorite version and then the Monkees had a bigger hit. I like to do a blues style version of Steppin Stone at about 33 1/3 for fun. Some of the Boyce-Hart songs are much better tunes than the pop genre that made them popular. The Monkees were great fun in their day but I'd take the Raiders doing 'Kicks' anytime.

People said they monkeyed around – I for 1 know they did.

In the late 60's we had a ritual at home. On Fridays when my mother worked late, my dad send my brother and me in the same bathtub, then prepared plain sausages in the meanwhile. Up we went to eat the fast dinner as another episode of The Monkees ran over the telly. Funny and free as I recall it - freakish. Always looked forward to those 25 minutes – then the weekend had arrived.

About the same time I started to 'play' with my good friend Kim. Our duo was called The Tigers and we mashed through the Monkees theme song :

Hey hey we're the tigers – strong big tigers, , , rest was pure wobleygobley but it worked for us. . . .

Just had a rerun of I'm A believer in the cans – though it's firmly planted in the inner juke-box.

I still love it -

The drummer sings and delivers a superb performance, , , the outro is on fire.

And that organ sound !

C'mon, guys, you should know better. "Monkeys swing in the tree, the Monkees sing on TV......."

Aww, cut 'em some slack! After all, both monkeys and Monkees swing, and both appear on TV.

-- Bob R

P.S. Referring to the Fabs as "The Beetles" is completely unforgivable!! You gotta draw a line somewhere!

P.P.S. Calling the Byrds "The Birds" is at least close to unforgiveable.

P.P.P.S. Calling the Cyrcle "The Circle" is not all that bad, even though I like both of their songs.

Aww, cut 'em some slack! After all, both monkeys and Monkees swing, and both appear on TV.

-- Bob R

P.S. Referring to the Fabs as "The Beetles" is completely unforgivable!! You gotta draw a line somewhere!

P.P.S. Calling the Byrds "The Birds" is at least close to unforgiveable.

P.P.P.S. Calling the Cyrcle "The Circle" is not all that bad, even though I like both of their songs.

What about that horse-thieven' British blues band, the "Stolen Roans"? [biggrin]

"Daydream Believer" was one of my favourite songs as a boy when it came out & these days its one of my favourites to play on acoustic.

I only get to play "in public" on holiday with family/friends & this one is guaranteed to get everyone singing along.

RIP Davey.

Archived