Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone hate Walmart?

dem00n

I really dont like it, it seems really fishy everytime i walk into one. Theres also a strange feeling of sadness and dead dreams when i walk into one, dont know why. Ive also noticed an increase of crime where ever they open one. Now a cop car has to patrol walmart daily. [rolleyes]

Like many discount stores, Walmart has good ones (well managed, bright, cheery, and people with good attitudes), and the not so good ones, who lack some, or all of that. If "crime" increases, in the area they open one, that says more to me, about the people, than the stores. If it weren't for "Walmart," in a neighboring community, here...I'd have a harder time, making ends meet, on a fixed income. I do(try) to support, my local town's businesses, whenever possible. But, there are times, and products, that make it necessary, to shop "Walmart!" So, no...I don't "hate" them...there's no reason to. I've had good/great experiences, in almost any kind of store/retail facility, from discount, to "Posh" venues. Again, that was due to the people involved, and not the store(s) themselves. Should I hate Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Home Depot, etc., etc.? They all have their value, and uses. Only you, can decide, if they're valuable, or not, to you.

CB

Walmart is like Guitar Center. For example, two GCs I have been to are one in Seattle and one in Orlando. The former had shitty service, and they seemed to not give a damn about my customer satisfaction. The Orlando one had the guitar that was made for me (a Fender US Vintage Hot Rod Tele with the mini humbucker in the neck), although I could not have it, and an amazing employee by the name of Pablo. Just like there is good Les Pauls and bad Les Pauls. Bad Marshalls and good Marshalls.

Like many discount stores, Walmart has good ones (well managed, bright, cheery, and people with good attitudes), and the not so good ones, who lack some, or all of that. If "crime" increases, in the area they open one, that says more to me, about the people, than the stores. If it weren't for "Walmart," in a neighboring community, here...I'd have a harder time, making ends meet, on a fixed income. I do(try) to support, my local town's businesses, whenever possible. But, there are times, and products, that make it necessary, to shop "Walmart!" So, no...I don't "hate" them...there's no reason to. I've had good/great experiences, in almost any kind of store/retail facility, from discount, to "Posh" venues. Again, that was due to the people involved, and not the store(s) themselves. Should I hate Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Home Depot, etc., etc.? They all have their value, and uses. Only you, can decide, if they're valuable, or not, to you.

CB

I agree CB it There are good ones and then there are not so good ones.

Walmart is cancer.

100% !!

"the vision".......eliminate 99% of the competition by selling "scratch & dent, & imperfect/irregular" items, listed as "top quality" for really low prices.

then, when there IS no competition, we can raise our prices to whatever we want them to be!!!!

"the truth".....when I had my Firearms Dealers License & Gunsmith shop, I could always tell a "Wal-Mart" gun....they were the brand new ones that needed work JUST TO FUNCTION correctly.

for about 6 months I repaired guns for my local Wal-Mart BEFORE they sold them as new, but when informed that I was charging too much for repairs & offered less across the board, I told the Mgr where to pissoff!

"more truth" in 1986 Mrs.B.s little brother worked at a large Wal-mart, he was under work-age so they kept him in the stockroom, REMOVING FOREIGN LABELS & installing MADE IN USA labels in their place.....on every item it could physically be done to!!!

Wal-Mart is cancer.....

Wal-Mart is the single, biggest responsible party for selling our economy to China.

They didn't jump on the bandwagon, they created it. They were the ones who initiated the trade lines to China for much of our industry, and were instrumental in convincing lawmakers to change laws to make it happen and profitable.

Supporting Wal-Mart in any way is directly contributing to the reason many of us do not have jobs.

Out of principle, I make a point of NOT shopping at Wal-Mart. Same as I don't associate with thieves or take in stolen guitars into my house.

Walmart is Cancer? Well, if so...WE created it! We empower it, sustain it,

and, in a way, demand it! Corporate Greed, is US...the stockholders, as well

as "Greedy" CEO's, and all that goes with it. It's really EASY to blame "Them,"

rather than admit our own complicity. Gibson, for example, could not charge the prices

they charge, if all their consumers refused to pay what they ask. Same with all corporations!

Demand, regulates supply, and supply or lack of, determines price...just as much as

"quality"...unless, of course, the quality is WAY different. Perception (Advertising,

brand loyalty, Idol endorsements) all contribute, of course. Is there really 2-3 grand

difference, in quality, between a Chinese Epi, and a "Good Old USA" Gibson??? NO!

SOME difference, yes, absolutely...and a LOT of "Perceived" even "snob appeal," difference.

One can talk oneself into almost anything! Justify whatever they want to. Logical, or not!

They spend millions, on advertising, and promotion, to make you do, just that.

I once, 30 years ago, took a tour, of a sweater factory, in Scotland! They made beautiful,

sweaters, over the whole range of styles, and (all wool) materials. Double Cashmere, included.

The most enlightening part of the tour, was the last room...where the labels were sewn in!

Depending on what label was used, the price (of the EXACT same sweaters) varied hundreds

of dollars each! It confirmed, something, I had always suspected, and even previously experienced,

in my own shopping. When I got home, I purposely went to one of the "Posh" clothing retailers, and

priced their different shirts. Scrutinized them, for construction, and material. Their "Store/House"

brand, was the lower price...the Designer brands, with the emblems on the breast, were differing

prices, but all higher, than the "store" label. They were exactly the same shirts, except for

the label, and the emblem on the breast. All, were made in China, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, etc.

Not one, was "Made In USA!" This sort of thing, is not limited to "Walmart," or "K-Mart," or

any other discount or High End retailer. We've demanded it! We pay out the nose, for the "Good

Stuff," when in fact, it's really no better, or not much better, all too often, than the less

expensive "store" (Generic) brands. But, our egos demand "the best," and our pocket books want

it...as cheaply as we can get it.

Now, obviously, all that is a "generalization," to a certain extent. But, my experience alone, bears

it out. Will I stop buying at "Big Box/Discount retailers? No Way! Will I "never again" buy from

the "Posh" store? No Way! I'm just as brainwashed, as the next person...but, I'm a lot smarter shopper,

now, than I once was...for sure! I LOVE great quality items, regardless of brand. But, I'm not opposed

to buying less expensive, provided the quality is "nearly" as good, or as good (in reality), as the "expensive"

or "designer," item.

CB

We've had the discussion before I try very hard not to ver buy substandard crap from asia even if i have to pay twice as much for a item I buy American whenever possible. That said why on earth would I go to a Walmart? I'm surprised they haven't gone to modular stores so they could produce even those in China's sweat shops.

Since we don't barter, there's two sides to every economic transaction. Half of the transaction happens when you earn the money, and half when you spend the money. You go to Walmart and support their predatory business practice to save some bucks. Maybe that's bad. But at the same time, since you don't spend so much money, you don't expend as many resources or create as much pollution to earn that money as if you had to shop at a more expensive retailer.

There's two sides to every economic transaction. That's why things seem so unfair if you only consider the "buying" side of the transaction.

We've had the discussion before I try very hard not to ver buy substandard crap from asia even if i have to pay twice as much for a item I buy American whenever possible. That said why on earth would I go to a Walmart?<...>

This just sounds weird to me. I always hear about people not buying stuff at WalMart because it's full of Asian products. Funny, I don't buy a lot there, but when I do they have the same brands as the non-Wal stores that I do more business in. So are the major corporations selling their "Made In Asia" brands to WalMart and the same product, in the same packaging but "Made In The USA" to Target or Sears? I seriously doubt that.

I know walmart has shut down small business' due to price competition,but if i need something there, i go get it,the downfall of goin into walmart in a small town where i live is runnin into so many people you know and your 2 or 3 item shopping trip turns into hour(s).When i go,i park around back and go in thru the automotive dept.,usually no line and can get in and out like i prefer to do.

I miss the small town stores. When I was a kid, in addition to the local movie theater and the diner, we had clothing stores, shoe stores, a variety store, sporting goods, auto parts, and a drug store around the court square. Now most of that is gone because 'everyone shops at Wal-Mart'. I know that is the same story with lots of small towns. It was a big experience back then to 'go to town'. I miss that.

I will not shop at Walmart.ever. A friend of mine owns a restaurant that I go to occasionally that is just outside a walmart parking lot and if what goes on inside that store is even remotely close to what goes on in that parking lot my decision is a just one.

Is there some kind of social event that goes on at Walmart that I'm not aware of?Every time I go in there the place is filled with morbidly obese and extremely homely people who dress like they were passing by a Goodwill Store when it blew up raining down wornout missmatched clothes on them.So I figure it must be a meeting place for The International Club of Unattractive Overweight People.Granted I'm by no means an Adonis but at least when I go out in public I do Make an effort to aat the very least look clean but when some people walk by you in Walmart you could gag with the smell of greasy food,B.O.and stale cigarette smoke.If people can afford cigarettes they can well afford soap.

Another issue I have with Walmart is that they make use of sweat shops-that is not something that I fabricated but it is on the net for all to see,all one has to do is Google Companies that use sweatshops and they are almost at the top of the list.

I like Walmart as much as I like any store.... If I want something they don't have, I don't go there.... If they don't have the brand of something I want, I don't go there, but I think they have what I want at a cheap(er) price, of course I go there!

I know Walmart is normally demonized by "the left" because it's non-union, but I suspect some of them sneak in to buy stuff and save money.

Actually, if you go another store and buy a product made in China, for more money, assuming WalMart is rock bottom.

Then in essence, by NOT shopping at Walmart and buying products from China, you are profitting China more than if buying a product from China at Walmart.

Shop at Walmart and give less of your money to China !! [tongue]

Harmonics101

Wal-Mart is the single, biggest responsible party for selling our economy to China.

They didn't jump on the bandwagon, they created it. They were the ones who initiated the trade lines to China for much of our industry, and were instrumental in convincing lawmakers to change laws to make it happen and profitable.

Supporting Wal-Mart in any way is directly contributing to the reason many of us do not have jobs.

Out of principle, I make a point of NOT shopping at Wal-Mart. Same as I don't associate with thieves or take in stolen guitars into my house.

AAAAAANNNNNNKKKKK, Wrong answer, The Global Agreement on Trade and Tariffs and other " Free Trade " agreements were the catalyst for foreign goods flooding our markets. GM, GE, Apple, Dell, HP, Nike were already heading or were established overseas long before Walmart. Walmart still carries USA manufactured goods, you just have to read the label and decide what you prefer to purchase.

Walmart has become the boogeyman for various " malcontents" because it's the most visible. Here's an idea for you , get a job at Walmart, and work your way up. The store managers bank big dollars, you have to be self motivated and willing to go the extra mile. Sadly, that's lost upon the majority of your kind.

Out of principle, I work long hours at my regular job and my business in order to achieve my personal goals. I have refused to get caught up in the game of envy and hatred for it is a distraction from my purpose. I make it a point not to associate with people of negative or piss poor attitudes. Inside every retail store, are people working to feed themselves and their families. Everytime I shop and purchase goods from these " evil " stores, I am helping to pay a salary for someone that needs the paycheck.

Archived