Gibson Brands Forums

The Townes Van Zandt Appreciation Society (cover thread)

Deadgrateful

So here it is, number 2 in the Gibson forum covers challenge extravaganza bonanza spectacular!

Townes Van Zandt was suggested so I went ahead and recorded Colorado Girl. Would love to hear some people do some different Townes numbers though! Man I love this forum. Oh annnnnnd. I'm not a lefty ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsNv62q4aYE

DAMN IT, I forgot my cup of tea....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here it is, number 2 in the Gibson forum covers challenge extravaganza bonanza spectacular!

Townes Van Zandt was suggested so I went ahead and recorded Colorado Girl. Would love to hear some people do some different Townes numbers though! Man I love this forum. Oh annnnnnd. I'm not a lefty ;-)

Dang, that is pretty--you do the material justice, and I will listen a few more times. Thanks!

I'll get one up here, too, but might be early next week 'fore I do...

GREAT JOB!!!

VERY, VERY nice!

(why do I always wanna call you DeadfulGreat?)

Most excellent, even without the tea!

I'd love to hear someone do Tecumseh Valley (Anne?) or Waitin' Round to Die (Buc this one would be great for you)............ or the now standards Pancho & Lefty and White Freightliner Blues .....

Good stuff on this forum!

Great Job! I'll try to get a song up tonight. BIG TVZ FAN!

Have you read the biographies of him? Some cool things about his Colorado "escapes". Great song & ya dun good, real good!

(edit) oh yeah, you owe us another, with tea!

Willy

Grateful,

Thanks for starting this, I wanted to do the same in an attempt to get Buc and some of the other finger pickers out there to add to it.

I'm gonna add a flat picked version of Colorado Girl to the mix. I gotta admit, I was hoping to start the thread so the talent would do nothing but improve as more submissions were added. In any case, I based my version off the way Ben Nichols does it when Lucero rolls through Denver. His is a little more rock n roll, mine is a little more country. Feel free to judge the playing and singing, but please reserve judgement on the sound. I shot this with a point and shoot. My video HD is packed up for a couple more weeks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHKVNV9FogA&context=C32d8f41ADOEgsToPDskIZDko_4VYoFQo3xGWJwFb7

Grateful,

Thanks for starting this, I wanted to do the same in an attempt to get Buc and some of the other finger pickers out there to add to it.

I'm gonna add a flat picked version of Colorado Girl to the mix. I gotta admit, I was hoping to start the thread so the talent would do nothing but improve as more submissions were added. In any case, I based my version off the way Ben Nichols does it when Lucero rolls through Denver. His is a little more rock n roll, mine is a little more country. Feel free to judge the playing and singing, but please reserve judgement on the sound. I shot this with a point and shoot. My video HD is packed up for a couple more weeks

Well that is dandy! I enjoyed that--you got a natural sound, like ol' TVZ hisself.

(Who has more fun than us?? [tongue] )

Keep 'em coming, people!

Well that is dandy! I enjoyed that--you got a natural sound, like ol' TVZ hisself.

(Who has more fun than us?? [tongue] )

Thank you for the kind words Anne. I enjoyed your version of Earle's "Goodbye" and I'm looking forward to hearing your take on a TVZ tune.

And I have to agree, I can't think of more than a handful of people in the world that have more fun than those of us sittin' around pickin' on our Gibbies

Great job to the both of you! Great fingerpickin', Dead......and true, you aren't a lefty. But I was thinking JRP was.......apparently not. Anyone that has the cojones to sit before the world and play guitar & sing is alright in my book! And as I've said before, it's participation that makes this forum great. Perhaps I'll learn a Townes tune someday. I must confess I've not paid him much mind, probably to my detriment. He is somewhat of a songwriting legend, he's just been under my radar.

Again, excellent work people!! Keep on rockin' in the free world! [cool]

loved it !

the J 45 sounded very nice !

JC

But I was thinking JRP was.......apparently not.

Buc,

I actually am left handed, but when I was growing up I didn't have one of those guitars with pickguard on the wrong side to learn on, so I learned to play the guitars with the pickguard on the proper side.

Regarding your Neil Young reference at the end, is it a crime to play Rockin'In The Free World on my acoustic? Just seems like one of those songs that should be played on an electric, really loud

Well, I feel like I'm crashing the party. I just stepped through the door a day or two ago and now I'm postin' songs. I have been sharing TVZ songs on YouTube for a few years. A small network of Townes-lovers have risen up from Finland-to-Australia and in-between.

When I moved through threads here I was very happy to see it going on here as well. I hope I can figure out how to imbed the video- not much luck on that. If not, I'll leave the URL and hope some can do it for me.

Not much of a picker but I love to sing and carry it with some pluckin', Willy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaRe_Zenv_I&list=UUtP9jqrSqB5Yz5CzhIDV5jA&index=1&feature=plcp

Willy and Jrplefty, that was just awesome! Wonderful start to my day to get to listen to some REAL musicians playing REAL music (before I toodle off to the gym and have to put up with Beyonce and Rhianna all afternoon [confused]

Can't wait to hear some more tunes. JrpLefty, why don't you have a go at Proud Mountains? I recon it would sound amazing in your style!

Well, I feel like I'm crashing the party. I just stepped through the door a day or two ago and now I'm postin' songs. I have been sharing TVZ songs on YouTube for a few years. A small network of Townes-lovers have risen up from Finland-to-Australia and in-between.

When I moved through threads here I was very happy to see it going on here as well. I hope I can figure out how to imbed the video- not much luck on that. If not, I'll leave the URL and hope some can do it for me.

Not much of a picker but I love to sing and carry it with some pluckin', Willy

Willy, that was nice!

What you think of as "crashing the party" we think of as "contributing"!

Thanks for posting.

townes thread was a brilliant idea

this song is so happy that i had to put a hat on and go back to 1920

again , comments and abuse welcome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi2bjJztS9w

This is definitely one of my favorite vids I've seen on the Gibson forum. It's really hard to put that emotion into a cover, but you really did it justice! My hat would come of to you (if I was wearing one).

In one of the biographies of Townes he was quoted as saying (something like)" I don't want my songs sung at Madison Square Garden. I want them played & sung on the back porch"

Well folks this is the back porch. To me, it's big fun with some impromptu soul/emotion you can't get anywhere else. A "brilliant idea" indeed.

JRP what a contrast in style from DG's rendition and both are the stuff, I believe Townes meant to happen with his work. Keep 'em coming.

BBG- terrific job. There's something about Tecumseh Valley whenever I here it. Somehow I "see" Spencer, Gypsy's, the sky turned to winter... I guess that's what great songwriting can do. Yeah, real happy! I meant to commend you on your little tribute to Davy in the other thread- nicely done.

Thanks for the thread and the "welcome". I can see why DG loves this place.

Hoping to hear some more TVZ here.

Willy

I want to join the party. Here's a quick take on "Dollar Bill Blues"...no frills version.I'm playing one of the lesser known Gibson models...a Martin OM-18V...haha sorry about that...my J-45 is in a strange tuning for something I'm working on..so I grabbed it's Martin Doppelganger. Cheers all

I want to join the party. Here's a quick take on "Dollar Bill Blues"...no frills version.I'm playing one of the lesser known Gibson models...a Martin OM-18V...haha sorry about that...my J-45 is in a strange tuning for something I'm working on..so I grabbed it's Martin Doppelganger. Cheers all

pure brilliance

Archived