Gibson Brands Forums

The Townes Van Zandt Appreciation Society (cover thread)

Deadgrateful

Wow!

I thought once this post went off the first page it had ended. Wrong, but very happy about it! Wonderful music folks and I'm learnin' some new licks and arrangements. Amazing- one writer but what diverse and compelling interpretations. Really enjoying this. it's like "Poet" where the big names came together for a Tribute to Townes.

I gotta offer this to you folks. On a UMGF thread someone had a DVD copy of an Austin City Limits tribute to Townes. Completed shortly after his death. In a line of chairs on stager were Steve Earle, Wille, EmmieLou, Nanci Griffith, Lyle Lovett, John TVZ, Guy Clark (host), Rodney Crowell, Jack Clements, and Peter Rowan. Maybe another or two in there. It's where Steve Earle sang "Fort Worth Blues" and Nanci shed some tears in the background. I waited 10 years to find it! This episode was never repeated but my friend had copied it. He sent me a copy and I would be more than happy to extend it to any of you. Just PM me with your address and I'll get you one.

I remember sitting down to watch this show knowing Townes as the guy who wrote "Pancho & Lefty". Next day I bought 3 of his CDs. He's become a big influence on my music from then on. So lemme know if you want one and please keep it within the scope of the contributers on this post. I don't want to make a boatload of 'em.

Here's my sleepy rendition of "Tower Song" (if I can remember how to post... [smile] )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNK4Vlt-17o

willy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1332152895[/url]' post='1154064']

anyone who is interested in townes cd's .. i just ordered a 4 disc set plus a live cd from the quarterhouse ... its entitled 'texas troubadour'.. from amazon.co.uk .. at the ridiculous price of £10 !

bargain !

Thanks for the info...

Archived