Gibson Brands Forums

gibson and brazilian rosewood

jannusguy

since i started this thread, i'll ask the question: what was it about brazilian that was so desirable. was it appearance or tone? is there really that much of a difference btwn BR and say, madagascar or EI? or is it fairly subtle, say like differentiating btwn an adi and spruce top? i think i can hear the difference btwn my hog and and RW guitars but i'm not sure i can hear the difference btwn my 2 RW guitars (smeck vs SJ) beyond the structural characteristics which are significant. just wondering if, lately anyway, it's more of a forbidden fruit kind of thing as it regards BR.

Brazilian is considered by most to be the ultimate in tone wood due to it's tonal clarity, balance, and rapid response. Those qualities, in addition to it's appearance and rarity is why it's so desirable. Can the average player actually hear the tonal differences as compared to other rosewoods? I guess it depends on the person. But even if you can, you have to then ask yourself if the difference is worth the additional cost? There are certainly other woods that are just as nice in appearance as Brazilian.

The bottom line is that if you're a collector, then the Brazilian would be worthwhile, since the value will continue to increase because of your "forbidden fruit" factor, if for no other reason.

since i started this thread' date=' i'll ask the question: what was it about brazilian that was so desirable. was it appearance or tone? is there really that much of a difference btwn BR and say, madagascar or EI? or is it fairly subtle, say like differentiating btwn an adi and spruce top? i think i can hear the difference btwn my hog and and RW guitars but i'm not sure i can hear the difference btwn my 2 RW guitars (smeck vs SJ) beyond the structural characteristics which are significant. just wondering if, lately anyway, it's more of a forbidden fruit kind of thing as it regards BR.[/quote']

is density the differentiating factor here?

Archived