Gibson Brands Forums

Memory lane song........

onewilyfool

I love JK on the ES 345. Hadn't realized that's what he played in those days. And wasn't Grace a looker?

Man, that video was done just about the time I first ventured into the other realm...........

Spent a few years there before coming back to earth.

Still love the Airplane. And of course, JK is one of the world's great fingerpickers. Everything comes full circle.

This is a perilous and brilliant song – Surrealistic Pillow is a classic record, , , yes I know you know I know we know some might not know.

But do you recall the Marty Balin tune Comin' Back to Me from that same album. Recorded as early as 66 – and so ahead. . . I think he made the bed for Crosby's fantastic Guinnevere there.

And what about Baron von Tollbooth and The Chrome Nun guys, , , , gotta have my record-player fixed.

How I wish you were still in that other realm Nick ~

Surrealistic Pillow is a classic record.. do you recall the Marty Balin tune Comin' Back to Me gotta have my record-player fixed.

Not to mention Jorma's classic fingerstyle workout, Embryonic Journey. Never imagining, at the time, to actually be able to pick it.

This is a perilous and brilliant song – Surrealistic Pillow is a classic record, , , yes I know you know I know we know some might not know.

But do you recall the Marty Balin tune Comin' Back to Me from that same album. Recorded as early as 66 – and so ahead. . . I think he made the bed for Crosby's fantastic Guinnevere there.

"Comin' Back to Me" was, and still is, a great solo guitar piece for anyone who loves acoustic psychedelia. Also has a nice recorder solo by Grace. Can't tell you how many nights were spent sitting around by the glow of candles and the smell of incense and other things listening to "Surrealistic Pillow". That album, and "The Grateful Dead" of the same year (1967) were my mind-blowing introduction to psychedelia. I still get goose bumps when I hear the intro to "Morning Dew".

Good pickup on "Guinnevere", which has s similar ethereal, surrealistic vibe.

And "Embryonic Journey"? Oh, man!

Yes.... something to behold!

She played around here with "The Great Society", but she had pipes that were gonna take her places!

Seems to me the original female singer with JA got preggers, (Marty Balin's wife maybe?), and left, making room for Grace.

I loved the Airplane and saw them maybe a dozen times during the 1960s and early 1970s. I still have a concert poster from 1967 hanging in the house. I also have the Grace and Janis Poster stashed away someplace. The Airplane's Thanksgiving shows at the Fillmore East were a tradition for us. One side of Bless Its Pointed Little Head was recorded at one of those shows. I even managed to be at the infamous 1970 Oklahoma City show where they got busted for using profanity (I was out there making a stab at going to college - it didn't work out).

If anyone wants a really good Airplane DVD get "Go Ride the Music." This was originally broadcast on PBS in 1969 and remains some of the best footage of the Airplane I have ever seen.

I love JK on the ES 345. Hadn't realized that's what he played in those days. And wasn't Grace a looker?

In addition to the ES-345 he played an Epiphone Rivera. A couple of Jorma's electric guitars hit the auction block a few years back.

Grace was a looker but that lady could be irratic as hell on the stage. You never knew what she was going to pull. Then there would be those vocal battles between her and Marty. There were times the Airplane just had trouble pulling off those harmonies. But when they hit it something like "Wooden Ships" was a thing of sheer beauty.

The "2400 Fulton Street" two-CD collection is a good intro to the Airplane for those looking for a big-brush overview without OD'ing.

Given everything that was going on offstage within the band, it's a miracle that they were able to perform at all without killing each other. They certainly lived the mid-60's ethos, for better or worse.

Signe Anderson was the original girl singer, but she left the band after marrying outside the group and having a baby. Ironically she had a lot of the same look as Grace Slick. She didn't have those powerful, rafter-shattering pipes however.

The "2400 Fulton Street" two-CD collection is a good intro to the Airplane for those looking for a big-brush overview without OD'ing.

Given everything that was going on offstage within the band, it's a miracle that they were able to perform at all without killing each other. They certainly lived the mid-60's ethos, for better or worse.

Signe Anderson was the original girl singer, but she left the band after marrying outside the group and having a baby. Ironically she had a lot of the same look as Grace Slick. She didn't have those powerful, rafter-shattering pipes however.

When I saw them at a Stones concert in 1966 the girl singer, (Singe, I suspect), was great with child. Shortly after Grace joined the group.

The antics of JA were legendary and legion!

When I saw them at a Stones concert in 1966 the girl singer, (Singe, I suspect), was great with child. Shortly after Grace joined the group.

The antics of JA were legendary and legion!

Yep, that would have been Signe. Interestingly, the early Grace sounded a lot like Signe, but Signe rarely sang lead. With Grace, they had a female fronting singer who could hold her own with anyone, even Marty Balin. It's still unusual for a band to have both male and female lead singers. There must have been some wicked friction there, not to mention the raging sexual menage that always kept the group on the edge of self-immolation.

Archived