Gibson Brands Forums

2002 SG Specials with EBONY fretboard

trapdoorspider

Is anybody familiar with the SG Specials that Gibson produced in 2002-2003 with the cool crescent-moon inlays and ebony fretboards? My question is: Do you know if Gibson produced any of these "faded" crescent-moon models with a type of rosewood fretboard?

I'm asking because I have several of these SG Specials, which supposedly have ebony fretboards, but I've noticed the wood isn't as deep black as the ebony fretboards on some of my other Gibsons (SG Standard in Classic White, SG Reissue bass in Classic White, SG Special Limited Edition, etc). And it's not quite as slick-as-slate feeling as the wood on those guitars, either.

At the same time, it's not as brown, or as grainy, as the "typical" rosewood on my other Gibsons.

I know this seems unlikely, but it almost seems to be something in between. Just wondering if Gibson threw some other wood in there from time to time. Thanks, Michael

(No, I don't have a picture. I'm sorry, but I guess I'm too stupid to figure out how to attach pictures here. It tells me the maximum single-file size can be only 17K, and I can't get any of my images down that small, even on the lowest resolution possible.)

I did have a sg special 2002 model with ebony fretboard that i sold. And in think they came in rosewood to. I'm not sure but i don't think there was more options in fingerboard back then.

Here she is with emg pickups [glare]

DSCF2713-2.jpg

Is anybody familiar with the SG Specials that Gibson produced in 2002-2003 with the cool crescent-moon inlays and ebony fretboards? My question is: Do you know if Gibson produced any of these "faded" crescent-moon models with a type of rosewood fretboard?

I still have my moon inlay SG purchased new. Made in April of 2002, it's an early one with a very uniform black ebony fretboard & ABR bridge. That said, it's definitely not unusual to see ebony with brown coloring. In fact, it's quite common. Martin has described many of their fretboards as "striped ebony." But back to the SG: My recollection is that the moon inlays went away before the ebony fingerboard was changed to rosewood. I believe ebony with dots was done for a short while, and eventually rosewood with dots became the norm. I actually was paying attention to this back then, but can't tell you for sure if my memory banks are still accurate!

Archived