Gibson Brands Forums

The "acoustic" pick that came with my Southern Jumbo.

pinkphiloyd

You know...I could probably fill a mason's jar with picks I've gotten at guitar shows, trunk shows, and such. I'd say 75% of them are crap sounding...BUT i've also found this....some picks sound GREAT on one guitar, but CRAP on another...strange isn't it???? SOOOO, I try them al out on each guitar, keep 5 or 6 that sound good in the case, and toss the rest. That way, I have at least 5 picks per guitar that sound good with the guitar at all times. I have not found the "holy grail" pick that sounds good with every guitar (yet), and I don't think that is really possible....

Well I wish I'd got a free Gibson pick with my SJ! When not fingerpicking, I'm still using a heavy Gibson tripick that I've had for going on 20 years. Just worked out from reading about what people do with thumb picks that I could file down the sharper edges. Made it almost good as new. A sound and feel quite unlike any of the other picks I've ever had, with the exception of the Peavey tripick I had before it and which wore down to circular. I used it only on electric till I got the SJ, because it always felt a bit flimsy on my old dread, but it works equally well on a short-scale acoustic. Crisp, clear and cutting. Shelve the mediums, EA, it's time to go hard! (Let Mick Jagger go home.)

Just to confirm that we are talking about the Black Gibson logo pick with the rounded point, right? I too love this pick. Its the best for my Hummingbird. Where can I get more?

I've found several places online, including Musicians Friend, selling them by the tin of 50.

Though I think I've decided that the best off the shelf al'round as is flatpick is the Dunlop Ultex, I occasionally reach into my cookie jar of picks and pull one that really barks. A Long and McQuade no-name medium, a Shure lightweight, Fender medium or Gibson teardrop thin, sounds good today, not great tomorrow. Best pick ever though is the Red Bear Classic II light, sanded down to .70mm , polished , and beveled. Don't ask them to do that for you though. They'll get pissy if you want to get below 1mm. I did it at home and came away with a pick that can strum AND pick with almost an amplified tone. 14 bucks if you ask for it unbeveled. Still ridiculous cost, but they gotta' eat too.

I found out only recently about that black pick that was sort of hidden in my guitar case.

Unfortunately though, this pick is not what brings the best sound out of my H-Bird. A ligth blue Dunlop pick on the other hand produces that sweet honey tone associated with the Birds [thumbup]

Archived