Gibson Brands Forums

Why is my internet slower lately?

heymisterk

Thats too cool, congrats. Don't have Net+ since I personally think it was a waste of time since I already had Microsoft's version in my MCSE (70-316, I believe). I decided to go after real certs since the field has changed so much in two decades. My son is IT for the Marines when he is not carrying a weapon and I am pushing him to go after real certs also. He is young and has every excuse in the world not to get a real certification. His old man was different; I used the military to further my civilian career.

Are you saying that Comptia's network + is not a real cert because it is vendor neutral? If so wouldn't that mean the security + and linux + are not real even though you can get LPI certified at the same time as the Linux +?

Using a encryption key on a router will not cause a faster connection, the encryption itself will slow the internet down due to the encryption. Its way faster and far more accurate to block via mac id. You can hack a wep or any other security measure using a key by every home appliance; yet if you block all mac id's except yours there is no way to get around that. Another form of protection is once the bond is made turn off the broadcast of router ID; if you cant see the broadcast most will not know about it unless you have very special knowledge to local hidden networks.

I mean, I've got encryption, and I'm at a constant 54mbps. It just makes me feel better knowing I can have a more secure network. People stealing your wifi will slow it down. The more devices connected, means the more it has to work. The only place I can think of where number of devices connected isn't an issue is the Microsoft center in Northern VA. The connections there are insane, they're at 7gbps, which blew my mind. I also just thought that it could be his RAM. I used to have a bit of a slow computer, but I doubled my RAM and now I've got no problems.

For me the 70-216 is more valuable and seen as a higher certification than Net+; with my Certs I can and did teach both Net+ and Security+ and was the lead instructor for A+. I still chat with many former students who are now at my level or working towards it. I really loved my job.

Ahh, I'm most likely taking an A+ class next year or the year after. I just want to be certified before I'm out of HS so I can maybe start my own business. I know a bit of what I'm doing, and have more knowledge than the average Joe, but I'm no expert. I'm glad I have a wonderful boss who is teaching me along the way, and paying me for doing some of his work for him [flapper]

For me the 70-216 is more valuable and seen as a higher certification than Net+; with my Certs I can and did teach both Net+ and Security+ and was the lead instructor for A+. I still chat with many former students who are now at my level or working towards it. I really loved my job.

The way I view the certs is sort of like stepping stones. This is a career transition for me and the combo of the Network +, BS degree, and current working experience is the path I have chosen. While in the AF I took a few telecommunication and networking classes and the Net+ looked like the easiest cert.

I have considered some MS certs but the first computers I ever learned were Unix and I have a love for Unix/Linux so I'll probably work towards that first. If I land a position that needs a MS cert or would be helpful then I'll study for them.

Okay: you guys lost me! [crying]

Based on the the last 24 hours, the problem persists. For what it's worth, it almost never happens when I first boot up my computer and start surfing; rather, it tends to happen in the evening, or after my computer has been on for awhile.

When I get home from work today, I am going to run that speedtest mentioned earlier in this thread.

Again, I am grateful for your help.

What do you guys say to the theory floated earlier: that AT&T might be intentionally throttling back speed?

Guest farnsbarns

Okay, I did that Speedtest.net test. I came in at 2.88 Mbps...?

Good/Bad/Average...?

Petty poor. What was the upload speed? And did you do the test more than once? If you get a surprising result it's worth running it again strait away, also make sure nothing is using band width while you do the test, ie, cose browser, mail client etc etc.

What speed do you pay for?

I ran that same test as you just did and got 27 ms, 19.32Mbps down and .94Mbps up. We're on Time Warner Cable regular high-speed that is bundled with the phone and TV. Our router has both wired & wireless connection's but we aren't using the wireless part all 3 computers are patched with CAT5's.

Petty poor. What was the upload speed? And did you do the test more than once? If you get a surprising result it's worth running it again strait away, also make sure nothing is using band width while you do the test, ie, cose browser, mail client etc etc.

What speed do you pay for?

Upload speed was .98 mbps.

In terms of plan, this speed, unfortunately, is about right: I pay for the "Pro" plan, which downloads "Up to" 3 mbps.

This still doesn't explain why things have gotten slower, unless I was exceeding 3mbps and ATT put the brakes on. I will run a couple of tests you guys mentioned earlier. Stay tuned...

Archived