Gibson Brands Forums

Which guitar to chose? need help

tiberius

I`m a new here and greetings from Russia to everyone )))

I`m just starting to play guitar and I want to buy an electro acoustic one. I fell in love with Masterbilt DR-500MCE in Sunburst (only by pictures and reviews, cause none of the shops in whole Russia has got particularly this model and Masterbilts in general [biggrin]). I nearly ordered this one, but found some negative posts here and was really disappointed. (fret buzz, wood warping, finish cracking, body deformation etc). Is it particular case or general problem in production?

Need help and advice from advanced guitarists [rolleyes]

Should I buy this model or another one, AJ-500RE or ME for instance? Or should I look on another brand?

The price range is around 600$ - 700$

Any suggests are more than welcome and would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance and hope to become a part of your community )))

Anton

The only way to avoid disapointments or surprises it to *play* a guitar first then decided if you like it.

How far are your from an Epiphone dealer? Perhaps you find someone how has the guitar you want and he will let you try it out.

Good luck in your hunt!

I own a Masterbuilt AJ500RE and 6 other guitars. I will never part with my Masterbuilt. It is the best guitar I own. The quality is perfect and I have no problems. I set my action REALLY LOW and there is no fret buzz. The finish is satin. i did not know what to think when i first saw it, but after hearing it i fell in love with it. IMO the sound is more natural without all the finish on top.

The AJ50RE has a warmer tone and the AJ500ME has a brighter tone. So which one to get is a matter of what tone you like and what sound you get. The sustain is greater with a Rosewood guitar (AJ500RE).

It is my main guitar when i play live and i send each pick up to a different amp or channel to get a fuller fatter tone. My guitar will fill the stage with acoustic tone.

But I have to agree, i wont buy without playing it first. It would kill me to get a guitar that i could not make it sing with the clear tone i want. If you can, take your time and search for one to hold and play until your satisfied. THEN BUY. I don’t think you will be upset by if you buy one.

Greetings Tiberius -

Both of my parents were Russian, I was born in the US. However, I remain spiritually attached to your country.

You have a unique situation - no "local" dealers to visit and play a Masterbilt. Yes, you can buy one, DR-500MCE,(perhaps Great Britian???) with some high degree of confidence that it will meet your needs, but with the expectation that it may need a set-up by a qualified guitar luthier and some decent strings if the store that you buy it from will not do the set-up before they ship it to you.

Good luck and I hope you'll let us know what you do, and the results,

Regards

Hello My new friend from Russia....

The only place in Russia I found a Gibson dealer on the internet is a place called Petroshop in Moscow on Sayanskaya Street. I found something about a company in the Ukraine that makes very good guitar's.

It's a shame as close to China as you are you can't get a Chinese made Epiphone as many of the Epiphone model's that are made in China are quite good for the price you pay.

Good luck with your search

abbeyroadman

that`s great!!! [thumbup]

there are no official gibson dealer shops in russia ))) U r right, it`s really unique ))) Most of the shops got entry level models like AJ-100, DR-100, 200 and Hummingbirds. I`ll go and try at least these ones, but I`m sure that they can`t be compared to any of Masterbuilts. And also I`m not sure, that I can understand the sound properly, playing beginner open chords [biggrin]

Despite that we haven`t got Gibson dealer, there is no problem to GET the guitar, but to CHOSE. If i decide to have it, i will definitely order from The U.S., using Shipito or someone else. By the way, i realized than on GC website DR-500MCE are marked as "non refundable", what could that mean? MF doesn`t have anything like that.

Actually I`m also looking at Art & Lutherie and Simon & Patrick guitars. Any thoughts about these brands?

But finally I`m coming back to awesome DR-500MCE [love] but I`m hasitating because of some negative posts that I found here ](*,)

It`s not a problem that it may need a set-up by a luthier, but if there is smth wrong with wood, finish, bridge etc, that wouldbe a disaster

I have no chance to send it back and I`m not sure that Epiphone will cover warranty in Russia.

Help me to make the right decision, guys )))))

Sorry for the long post and my bad english )))))))))))

Well there are differences between the DR and the AJ models. You will have to play them to see and hear the difference between them. The Masterbilts are way above the average Epiphone models as far as quality and playability are concerened. All wood construction, etc.

I myself find that Rosewood is a little brighter in tone, and Mahogany is a little warmer sounding, at least to my ears. The Rosewood AJ500 compared to the Mahogany Aj500 sounds brighter to me, more open.The mahagony has a more mellow tone to me.

This is coppied and pasted from the Gibson website on thier tonewoods and how they describe the diffrent sounds of the woods they use.

"Rosewood is often thought of as the king of tonewood for back and sides, and it contributes to a deep, full voice with bountiful warmth and dimension. It’s probably fair to say that, for some guitarists, its rich red-brown color and appealing grain are almost as desirable as its tonal properties, and it has generally been considered a wood of middle and upper-tier instruments. Some big bodied flat-tops that generate enough of these sonics from their top woods and constructional factors, however, might not require the added depth that rosewood provides, and in fact might be better served with mahogany backs and sides. A more affordable wood, mahogany’s bright, tight sound and excellent presence make it a fantastic choice, regardless of cost, for plenty of guitar designs."

• 2 weeks later...

Actually i was not thinking about buying a used guitar, but while searching Ebay, found a manufacturer refirbished one. It is Masterbilt AJ-500RE for 399$

The seller told me, that it was a display model, no flaws, blemishes, no repairs on it, very clean, just about mint.

Any thoughts??? [confused]

Actually i was not thinking about buying a used guitar, but while searching Ebay, found a manufacturer refirbished one. It is Masterbilt AJ-500RE for 399$

The seller told me, that it was a display model, no flaws, blemishes, no repairs on it, very clean, just about mint.

Any thoughts??? [confused]

Could be a great deal. Is there a return period in case you don't like it? That's important if buying online...

Could be a great deal. Is there a return period in case you don't like it? That's important if buying online...

Yes, there is

And I decided to go for it )) So, tomorrow my baby starts it`s long journey to Russia from Wolfeboro, NH ))) WHOOHOO \:D/

i have no patience to wait for 3 weeks until its arrival

Archived