Gibson Brands Forums

Hang it or keep it in the case?

Hairy Dave

Only one place in my living room where I could hang my guitar. Don't know if it's a good idea or not though. It's an external wall, the space is beside a window and almost above a radiator. We normally don't get huge variations in temp/humidity so I don't think the external wall will be a problem. More worried about the radiator. Is it likely to be problematic?

Otherwise I'm inclined to keep it in the case. Recently redecorated and the better half isn't keen on a large black case in the living room. Before I gave my other guitar to my brother I kept it beside the sofa on a stand. It got a few dings from my kids - not a huge deal - but I'd prob be a lot less happy if the same happened to my J45.

How do you store/display yours? Any hazards to avoid?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oi vey, Hairy Dave! It's almost like you're trying to find the theoretical worst place to hang your acoustic. Radiators are even worse than an outside wall, but the two together are like a dare. Don't know what the weather is now in your neck of the woods and if the heat goes off soon you could hang it there 'til the furnace kicks back on, I guess. Even if you hang it, you're still stuck storing the case. If you want it in the LR it may as well be in the case. Curious...what hangs on the inside walls to keep your guitar on the outside? Can you switch out a picture to accomodate the J45? Serious Fung Shwei is called for here!

Mine just hang where the artwork should be.

All my guitars are in the cases with humidifiers inside. This is the best way for my guitars to be kept prfom the dry air in my buuilding, especialy in winter time because of the central heating here...

Oi vey, Hairy Dave! It's almost like you're trying to find the theoretical worst place to hang your acoustic. Radiators are even worse than an outside wall, but the two together are like a dare. Don't know what the weather is now in your neck of the woods and if the heat goes off soon you could hang it there 'til the furnace kicks back on, I guess. Even if you hang it, you're still stuck storing the case. If you want it in the LR it may as well be in the case. Curious...what hangs on the inside walls to keep your guitar on the outside? Can you switch out a picture to accomodate the J45? Serious Fung Shwei is called for here!

Mine just hang where the artwork should be.

I know Jed - I was thinking that as I typed haha.

I'll not be hangin it anywhere near the radiator now. Weather is quite mild now but my wife seems to be obsessed with having the heat on. She must think The Middle East needs some sort of motivation to produce more oil.

The other walls have art, pics and a mirror on them. For the sake of a happy life I'm not pushin the issue too much - I choose my battles wisely lol.

I don't mind the case bein out but my two year old is attracted to it like a moth to a flame.

All my guitars are in the cases with humidifiers inside. This is the best way for my guitars to be kept prfom the dry air in my buuilding, especialy in winter time because of the central heating here...

I don't have a humidifier - didn't think I'd need one. I thought it would be safe enough in the case?

just put it on a stand like you used to

I'm kinda tempted. I'm not overly precious about things and understand that things happen - but I think it's a dead cert that something WILL happen and I'd prob feel 'well that's my fault for puttin it there'.

I might well depend on how long it takes my good wife to crack up with the case bein out permanently [tongue]

No space left on the walls – no real ideal place for the case – next to the sofa too risky.

I see only 1 solution = Divorce !

Best Regards ~

The Acoustic Monk

Drastic times call for drastic measures... Know any good lawyers? Knowin my luck she would get the guitar in the settlement haha

Hey Hairy...can you write her a sappy, tender little diddy, then look sheepishly into her eyes while offering a nice back rub? Then, when she's not at home, stick that geetar up between two of her fav wall ornaments and see how long it takes to get your nuts handed to you. Marriage is, after all, a give and take.

Hey Hairy...can you write her a sappy, tender little diddy, then look sheepishly into her eyes while offering a nice back rub? Then, when she's not at home, stick that geetar up between two of her fav wall ornaments and see how long it takes to get your nuts handed to you. Marriage is, after all, a give and take.

I'm laughing out loud now and she's lookin at me like I've two heads

My husband wants me to hang my guitars on the wall (all 9 of them). It makes me worry that if I add more he'd notice :)

He must be looking for a way to get all the dang cases out the house!

Definitely NOT keep them in a case but within reasy reach in a humidified music room. Rigth now theyre on stands but will be going up shortly on the wall. I dwant my guitars within grabbing distance, not in a case. Psychologically its too much of a berried and detterant from playing, at least in my case

Case. Safest way to handle your guitar. If you want a wall decoration, get a painting. Guitars are tools, albeit ones we love. But we wouldn't hang a hammer on the wall, so we shouldn't hang a guitar there, either.

Tools and works of art in my opinion, if you can safely hang them go for it.

If you want a wall decoration, get a painting. Guitars are tools, albeit ones we love. But we wouldn't hang a hammer on the wall, so we shouldn't hang a guitar there, either.

My tools are out where they can be reached. Quickly.

100_0387.jpg

I don't have a humidifier - didn't think I'd need one. I thought it would be safe enough in the case?

You don't need a humidifier. Your guitar does!

Then get a humidifier, put some water inside, put the humidifier between the strings in the soundhole of the guitar, get another smaller humidifier put some water inside, put it in the case where the head of the guitar is, then put the guitar in the case and close it and KEEP IT INSIDE. Be sure to add water in the two humidifiers every 2-3 days, because YOU HAVE A RADIATOR IN THE ROOM WHERE YOUR GUITAR LIVES!!! I am sure your guitar DOESN'T LOVE THE DRY AIR IN YOUR ROOM!

If you don't believe me - just ask her.

msp_sneaky.gif

Archived