Gibson Brands Forums

Hang it or keep it in the case?

Hairy Dave

I'm surprised that no one yet has suggested the obvious - your house needs an addition...

Dan I'd love an addition! My two best friends recently built extensions on their homes and use them as music rooms/studio space. Unfortunately I live in a terrace house with no scope for adding space. I have a large garden where I could put a summerhouse but I'd worry about security and sound insulation. Most of my playing is at night and I'd be conscious of disturbing the neighbours. Maybe when this recession ends I'll look at movin house - and choosing one with space for me and my guitar!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HD, I can't imagine Northern Ireland being especially dry, so you may not need a humidifier as consistently as Krassi does. It is possible to over-dampen proceedings, and although drying out tends to be worse, it's not great to over-humidify (glue can stop sticking and guitars fall apart). On the other hand, the central heating may well make a humidifier a useful item to stave off cracking spruce. The case will do some work on this front, but perhaps not enough. You really need some sort of hygrometer before you decide what to do about/with a humidifier. My new hygrometer is 23% out, but when I realized as much, I figured out that I don't need to humidify at the moment, despite 24/7 wood burner action and more than our usual dose of gas C/H to battle a very cold snap. But I have a humidifier just in case. I really can't imagine your neck of the woods being drier than Danubian Hungary.

As for children and nice guitars, I sympathize. I have three kids, barely 4 to nearly 9. I keep my 15-year-old Washburn Lyon plywood cheapo on the landing, and don't care if the kids strum it. I didn't really care when my son decided to attempt pedal steel effects on it using the tuning pegs and pinged a string. I keep my SJ in the case on top of a wardrobe with a lock on it. I keep my Gibson electric in the case with a combination lock, inside a locked cupboard. I like my nice guitars and like to play them. I do not expect them to be collectors' pieces. But I don't want them to pick up mojo at the hands of inexperienced, experimental players. The barrier of the case does not have the same psychological effect on me as on EA - I just love taking the guitars out of their cases. It's like opening a new guitar for the first time, every time.

HD, I can't imagine Northern Ireland being especially dry, so you may not need a humidifier as consistently as Krassi does. It is possible to over-dampen proceedings, and although drying out tends to be worse, it's not great to over-humidify (glue can stop sticking and guitars fall apart). On the other hand, the central heating may well make a humidifier a useful item to stave off cracking spruce. The case will do some work on this front, but perhaps not enough. You really need some sort of hygrometer before you decide what to do about/with a humidifier. My new hygrometer is 23% out, but when I realized as much, I figured out that I don't need to humidify at the moment, despite 24/7 wood burner action and more than our usual dose of gas C/H to battle a very cold snap. But I have a humidifier just in case. I really can't imagine your neck of the woods being drier than Danubian Hungary.

As for children and nice guitars, I sympathize. I have three kids, barely 4 to nearly 9. I keep my 15-year-old Washburn Lyon plywood cheapo on the landing, and don't care if the kids strum it. I didn't really care when my son decided to attempt pedal steel effects on it using the tuning pegs and pinged a string. I keep my SJ in the case on top of a wardrobe with a lock on it. I keep my Gibson electric in the case with a combination lock, inside a locked cupboard. I like my nice guitars and like to play them. I do not expect them to be collectors' pieces. But I don't want them to pick up mojo at the hands of inexperienced, experimental players. The barrier of the case does not have the same psychological effect on me as on EA - I just love taking the guitars out of their cases. It's like opening a new guitar for the first time, every time.

Hi Mojo, you're right, NI isn't especially dry - feels likes it's always raining! My wife is quite happy for me to hang the guitar up in the bedroom where it would def be safer and the temp is probably better too. However, I almost always play in the living room and can't see myself going upstairs every time I want to strum. The kids like to 'help' me play too, so I don't wanna their fun haha.

I'll prob just stick with the case in the LR for now, although i might try out a hygrometer to be sure the guitar's not in danger of dryin out. I'm guessing that with NI's weather and being locked in the case I won't have too much to worry about. More chance of the kids doin damage. As they get older and a tad more responsible I might go with a stand beside the sofa...

I know what you mean about takin your guitar outta the case - I love it! The smell of the wood gets me every time [biggrin]

• 2 weeks later...

Case. Safest way to handle your guitar. If you want a wall decoration, get a painting. Guitars are tools, albeit ones we love. But we wouldn't hang a hammer on the wall, so we shouldn't hang a guitar there, either.

Not everyone would agree with you here, good dhanners -

Taylorwtools.jpg See you. . . .

Here is how I solved this problem: http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/d0b155c408cbe8e8a99e65a0414f4ef654b4110.jpg

I recently purchased a beautiful 1942 J-45. I also have two young boys aged 2 and 5. I live in Sweden where proper humidification is very essential. I wanted the guitar to be easily accessible, visible, but still out of reach for the kids. I sealed all the joints in the cabinet and also put rubber strips along the door edges. I keep a humidifier inside along with a hygrometer so I am able to check easily. It now stays around 55%. Actually I think I can keep a better eye on humidity this way, because I tend to check it often when I walk by. I just need to look inside, without opening the door. I also screwed a wall hanger to the back of the cabinet and now simply hang the guitar inside. By the way, my wife is very happy with this solution! I think it looks a little pretentious, but at least it takes care of all the issues (as long as one of the kids don't smash the glass, but thankfully they are not that wild...yet).

Lars

Here is how I solved this problem: http://images.yuku.c...4ef654b4110.jpg

A little pretentious maybe, but fine with me. I like the way the legs rhymes with the 45 curves, , , and can't figure the age of the bronze wallpaper.

Now you just need to throw away the key to start a good farce. . .

On a serious note – Don't ever forget to tell your guests not to underestimate that Kebnekaise up there, , , and I'm not talking about the band -

Yes like I said in my post, it is indeed a little pretentious to keep a guitar in a cabinet. I have actually thought about adding a little plaque or something similar to the cabinet with some kind of humerous inscription. Only people who have kids and are into guitars can possibly relate and understand why someone would come up with such a weird arrangement to store a guitar.

E-minor7, I know from reading your posts that you have a good sense of humor and a way with words. Maybe you can help me come up with a funny inscription?

Lars

Only one place in my living room where I could hang my guitar. Don't know if it's a good idea or not though. It's an external wall, the space is beside a window and almost above a radiator. We normally don't get huge variations in temp/humidity so I don't think the external wall will be a problem. More worried about the radiator. Is it likely to be problematic?....

There are several places you DO NOT want to store a guitar, among them; against an external wall, near a window, near a radiator (or HVAC vent).

Case it and buy a cool looking guitar poster.

There are several places you DO NOT want to store a guitar, among them; against an external wall, near a window, near a radiator (or HVAC vent).

Case it and buy a cool looking guitar poster.

Hi Tommy, the guitar has remained in it's case. I'm happy enough with that - and my wife hasn't complained half as much as I thought she might haha.

My youngest son has 'decorated' the case with some crayon drawings though. If that's as bad as it gets I'll probably keep him.

HD

Archived