Gibson Brands Forums

Just bought a new studio satin

antipeterleague

...it's my first les paul and i absolutely adore it. it's satin yellow.

Anyways, just wondering about how to care for it. I have an old jackson that i bought used and before that a squier p-bass, though they have been clearly neglected, and im not about to let that happen to this one. Apparently it has the baked maple fretboard, im assuming it's unfinished (not shiny). I wanna try and keep the fretboard as nice as it is now, what should i use to clean it when i switch strings?

And what is safe to use on the satin body? I'm thinking substances like isopropyl alcohol would wipe the paint right off.

Congratulations on your new Les Paul!!!! It looks great!!!

As far as keeping your guitar cleaned up Gibson does offer a guitar cleaning kit that contains polish for the body, fretboard conditioner, and low abrasion metal polish along with polishing cloths.

Enjoy that fine guitar... [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Nice LP- congrats!

You shouldn't need to use polish on a faded/satin guitar. Don't add ant unnecessary gunk in to that finish. All you need do is wipe away any dust that collects in problem places (e.g. under the bridge area) with a non abrasive cloth.

The best care is to avoid playing it with sweaty hands. So, always wash them before you play. The oils that secrete from your fingertips as you play will keep the fingerboard from drying out but it would be wise not to keep it in conditions where the air is too dry.

I've had my SG faded from new for about 4 years and it looks as good as the day I bought it with the above approach.

thanks guys. definitely happy with my buy. held up quite nicely next to my buddy's old unchambered custom. i'll look into the gibson care products.

AlanH, i figured the body wouldn't need much since it's not like i'm going for a mirror gloss. i play with clean hands, and wipe the strings/fretboard and body down before putting it back in the case.

One concern i have over the fretboard is that, on my old guitars, the grain began forming little crevices where gunk builds up (assuming due to lack of care). the lp's fretboard, being brand new and all, looks solid. just wondering if any special care is needed to keep the grain from forming crevices. maybe using lemon oil? or maybe tru-oil?

thanks for the compliments!

Archived