Gibson Brands Forums

What Amp.

johnston

I'm looking a wee amp to go with my nighthawk.

Nothing big it will never get gigged so only for around the house use.

At the minute I have a wee beginner Fender 15w job which is pure crap. Over drive is just nasty. And it's too loud to crank with the kids in the house.

Thinking something Valvy.

So whats the consenus on what goes well with these mighty wee guitars.

Happy testing.....

Thats the problem around here is a bit **** to test.

Locally I might get a VOXAC30

Some Line6 A few Marshalls too big for houshold use.

And Fender combos for small gig use.

Oh and some Blackstar.

The rest will be all budget starter hiss and pish.

We have one shop that has stock and keeps amps. One that is all Cort, Tokai and Behringer. The other is probably the best bet but is hit and miss as it's mostly second hand.

So it'll likely be an order to Thomans.

I'm looking a wee amp to go with my nighthawk.

Nothing big it will never get gigged so only for around the house use.

At the minute I have a wee beginner Fender 15w job which is pure crap. Over drive is just nasty. And it's too loud to crank with the kids in the house.

Thinking something Valvy.

So whats the consenus on what goes well with these mighty wee guitars.

you could give carvin a look @carvin.com!Ive got 2 love'em! [love]

Sorry, NO [-(

Vox valvtronix are digital amps with just one 12AX7 to 'color' the sound

Well, he did say "Valvy" [thumbup]

I guess we should give him the option to choose. I have a few small tube amps and the Valvetronics can do a really good impersonation of a tube amp.

A blueprinted or homebrew AA1164, the vaunted Princeton Reverb. With the Paul C mod. Hands down does it all. My recently acquired Epi 335, with Fralin Pure PAFs, is awesome through my DIY Princeton Reverb. PM me and I'll give you the lowdown...or the highup!

Look around for a used Peavey Classic 20 or 30. Great amps. One of the guys that I get together with just got a used Bugera V22. Pretty nice amp, too. But then, I'm partial to EL84s.

From reading the specs the Vox AC4TV seems like it would be a fine amp for the house:

One of the challenges confronting an all-tube amp is retaining a full tone at lower volumes. To solve this issue, the AC4TV features a built-in power attenuator, with 4W, 1W, and 1/4W output levels—ensuring you never lose that classic tube tone, even at the lowest listening levels.

From reading the specs the Vox AC4TV seems like it would be a fine amp for the house:

One of the challenges confronting an all-tube amp is retaining a full tone at lower volumes. To solve this issue, the AC4TV features a built-in power attenuator, with 4W, 1W, and 1/4W output levels—ensuring you never lose that classic tube tone, even at the lowest listening levels.

The AC4 does have a built-in attenuater for 4 watts, 1 watt or a 1/4 watt output (see above). Should be able to get a pretty good sound quietly at 1/4 watt. And, it's EL84 based. [biggrin]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOX-AC4TV-MINI-ALL-TUBE-MINI-AMPLIFIER-BRAND-NEW-/360425196228?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item53eb040ac4

A blueprinted or homebrew AA1164, the vaunted Princeton Reverb. With the Paul C mod. Hands down does it all. My recently acquired Epi 335, with Fralin Pure PAFs, is awesome through my DIY Princeton Reverb. PM me and I'll give you the lowdown...or the highup!

Might take you up on that. A DIY amp is on my list of to dos after I get the hang of a few effects builds.

Why not a Marshall Class 5 Combo, it has bed room mode that will cut it back to 1/2 watt.

It's about the twice the price of some of the others ;)

The AC4 does have a built-in attenuater for 4 watts, 1 watt or a 1/4 watt output (see above). Should be able to get a pretty good sound quietly at 1/4 watt. And, it's EL84 based. [biggrin]

http://www.ebay.com/...=item53eb040ac4

At the 1/4 watt setting it does a really bad job of being an amp. The 1 watt setting brings out the tone and feeling in your fingers better. It can be tamed to play with kids and the neighbors on 1 watt.

I do enjoy mine.

Im digging these...

The Wee Gretas are tidy looking. Was in the local shop the other day andthey can't wait to get them in.

Not much in the way of amps small enough for me though, if I was working the '59 Bassman LTd would have been mine though [love] [love] .

any one tried out the wee Mustang Mini yet?

Archived