Gibson Brands Forums

Your favorite name brand guitar strings, what do you use and why?

bigtim

I used to use EB slinkies when i fisrst started and used to use other readily available cheap strings when i couldnt get hold of EB's. I then switched to D'Adarrio and havent looked back. I like the bright tone as they sound good for finger picking as well as pick playing

I have been using Slinky the pink packs for decades; for the Gibson guitars I actually use Gibson Vintage 9's

I used the same for years and recently switch to the hybrid slinky,same gauge with a heavier top string.

Ernie Ball slinky's 11's on my Les Paul

Same but gague 10's on my Replica LP Skylark that is 25" scale length

Acoustic, I think I have Ernie Ball Slinky's 10s on it but I want to try the Elexir Nanoweb.

For the most part my electrics all get D'Adarrios. 9s and a Strat and 10s on my LP. Every now and then I'll try something else, but keep going back.

For a while I tool RichCI's advice (BTW, where has he been?) and tried Webstrings.com. They were great for the price, but I didn't like the way they were packed and they are the only strings I have broken in about 10 years. I'll stick to my D'Adarrios 90% of the time.

Years ago I used to put Dean Markleys on my acoustic. I thought it made the guitar sound really bright and strong, but after about 2 days they would kind of die out sound wise... :-k

Geeez why not go outside and grab your jumper cables..... How can you play such huge strings?

LOL - The 11s are average for me.

About 20 years ago I used to play in a all acoustic jazz band and my guitar just sounded better with 12s. In that band I didn't play the traditional jazz style as I have a love for blues so I would play blues licks in jazz tunes with a lot of big bends. I would play jazz licks in blues songs too. After a while it builds the muscles up.

After that band broke up I went into the Air Force and did not play very much and lost a lot of that strength so I have switched to 11s. Anything less are like spider webs and I overbend.

For the SRV strat I started using 13s tuned down to get that SRV sound. This was around the same time I was in the Jazz band so I was used to bending 12s. I bought crap load of GHS Bright Flat strings at one time and they are what I have left. They are not so bad when you tune down 1/2 step.

I started out playing Slinkys because Clapton played them. I then moved on to Rotosound strings (yes they made/make guitar strings) because I preferred and really liked the sound. Most of the studio work I did in the late 70's and early 80's was with Rotosound guitar strings, man did they sound good on my 1960 Strat.

In the mid 80's I discovered Boomers and loved the bright sound. I really liked a set of fresh Boomers right out of the box, but when I started playing five nights a week I realized that brightness didn't last very long, maybe a couple of nights. I then switched over to D'Addario, and feel that they maintain an even sound throughout their lifespan, when they won't stay in tune any more, it's time to change them.

Then I turned into a Jazzman and settled in to playing LaBella flatwounds on my jazzboxes. I was so happy with them that I figured their other strings might be of the same quality and sound, so I started trying LaBella strings on my other instruments. After some trial and error, I now use LaBella strings exclusively on all my guitars.

Jazzboxes: LaBella #800M flats, 14-67

R&R and Blues machines: LaBella EL-BH nickel roundwound, 12-52

Classical: LaBella nylon #2001, silver plated windings, medium tension

LaBella strings ARE NOT CHEAP, and not easy to find..... but, they are made in America, last a very long time with even tone, and are well worth the money. You wouldn't put $30 tires on your $20,000 car, why put $3 dollar strings on your $2000 guitar.

YES, there is a difference quality, sound, tone and longevity.

After some trial and error, I now use LaBella strings exclusively on all my guitars ... LaBella strings ARE NOT CHEAP, and not easy to find..... but, they are made in America, last a very long time with even tone, and are well worth the money. You wouldn't put $30 tires on your $20,000 car, why put $3 dollar strings on your $2000 guitar.

YES, there is a difference quality, sound, tone and longevity.

Best post on this thread

Electric guitars (most of them) - D'Addario 11s because they stay in tune and are better than average for length of use.

Acoustic - Elixers 11s or 12s

Hollow body jazz guitars - Thomastik Infield 12s

SRV strat - GHS Bright flats 13s (tuned down 1/2 step)

To each his own, srv used 13s

Actually SRV used a .012 gauage set of string and replace the high E string with .013.

GHS Boomers .013, .015, .019 .028, .038, .058

Actually SRV used a .012 gauage set of string and replace the high E string with .013.

GHS Boomers .013, .015, .019 .028, .038, .058

Actually, if you really study and read up on his interviews, and his tech's interviews you would read that he used various gauges at different times. He is even known to occasionally use a .16 on the high E. Sometimes, when using such a big gauge string night after night would cause his callouses to start to separate. He would put some super glue on them but also use a smaller gauge string until they healed.

To say he used any one gauge for his entire career would be wrong. It is safe to say that he used a heavier gauge than most mere mortals.

I use 10's.

the brand tends to change periodically but typically gravitate back to D'addario. I have very acidic sweat and I find that D'addario's tend to last longer for me than others. I also like Gibson Vintage Reissue's, Dunlop's Zakk Wylde custom set, and Rotosound. Sometimes it's pure nickel strings, other times I'll go after nickel plated steel.

...I then moved on to Rotosound strings (yes they made/make guitar strings) because I preferred and really liked the sound. Most of the studio work I did in the late 70's and early 80's was with Rotosound guitar strings, man did they sound good on my 1960 Strat...

Rest assured, Larry. They still make excellent strings.

I use Rotosound 'Pure Nickels' .011s on my Les Pauls and 'Roto Reds' on my Fenders. The Pure Nickels are about $15 a set and last well.

I tried out a lot of stuff on the LPs before settling on the Rotosounds. They have a great warm tone but still have a good 'bite' without being too treble-y. I don't like too-bright-sounding strings so you can probably guess which brands I really dislike!

In addition; they are made 'locally' - i.e. about 30 miles from central London and they are another brand which has cut down drastically on their packaging to become more 'green'.

Incidentally; Jimi Hendrix was also known to be a some-time Rotosound user.

P.

Archived